Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Heineken really only contain 3 ingredients

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

No that has to be a bare faced lie, Heineken has only one ingredient 100% pure piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The key is in the wording! Only 3 NATURAL ingredients. Probably 1000 unnatural ones!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

dpofloinn wrote: »
    No that has to be a bare faced lie, Heineken has only one ingredient 100% pure piss

Its a grand pint. I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Drinkin it right now in a bar as no alternative beats it. Feckn gross but itll do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well considering the most basic of beers has 4 ingredients, Water, Hops, Barley & Yeast, I'd love to know which one Heineken leave out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Seriously. Now what do you think?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

They are probably are all malt, hop extract, water abd yeast. But I doesn't neam it make a particular interesting lager :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alcohol companies get away with murder as they do not have to list ingredients here. With normal food labeling if the ingredient is below a certain % they are not obliged to list it -I think they have to list recognised allergens in the food though. So I suspect they can say the same thing, and just not list anything else they use in low %.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

I used to work in a brewery and there were a few tins of this and that and a few bags of powder also added in for good measure - never stopped me tasting and enjoying the product though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well considering the most basic of beers has 4 ingredients, Water, Hops, Barley & Yeast, I'd love to know which one Heineken leave out.

Any beer that has been centrifuged or filtered won't have any yeast left. So while yeast was used during manufacturing it won't be in the final product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rubadub wrote: »
    Alcohol companies get away with murder as they do not have to list ingredients here. With normal food labeling if the ingredient is below a certain % they are not obliged to list it -I think they have to list recognised allergens in the food though. So I suspect they can say the same thing, and just not list anything else they use in low %.
    Any idea why alcoholic drink are exempt from showing an ingredients list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cienciano wrote: »
    Any idea why alcoholic drink are exempt from showing an ingredients list?

I believe you can blame the French wine lobby for that bonkers anomaly.

And while bottles and cans will have the ABV listed on them, there appears to be no requirement to list the ABV at point of sale of draught beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I believe you can blame the French wine lobby for that bonkers anomaly.

And while bottles and cans will have the ABV listed on them, there appears to be no requirement to list the ABV at point of sale of draught beer.

Never knew that! Mad set of circumstances.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Heineken, like most mass produced beers, will probably be brewed with a mixture of salts added to the brewing water as well as chemicals that speed up fermentation and then possibly finings to help clear the beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

enda1 wrote: »
    Never knew that! Mad set of circumstances.

If you think about it, where in your average pub is the ABV displayed? The only standard point of sale is the tap badge and /or tap unit. Mainstream beers usually don't put the ABV on these , nor on posters.
    I'd also suspect that a huge amount of bar staff in this country wouldn't have a clue of the ABV of beers they serve if asked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

irish_goat wrote: »
    Heineken, like most mass produced beers, will probably be brewed with a mixture of salts added to the brewing water as well as chemicals that speed up fermentation and then possibly finings to help clear the beer.

On a visit to the Cork brewery a fork lift driver hit and ripped open a large bail of "stuff" they add to speed up brewing. What looked like bits of fish carcas spilled out on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

krissovo wrote: »
    On a visit to the Cork brewery a fork lift driver hit and ripped open a large bail of "stuff" they add to speed up brewing. What looked like bits of fish carcas spilled out on the floor.
    Sounds plausible. Friend of a friend was it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

fullstop wrote: »
    Sounds plausible. Friend of a friend was it?

In fairness, isinglass is used in a fair few beers. That's a fish by-product.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Would be nice if brewers had to list everything, but in their particular case I really can't see much else Heineken would have to add to make a mediocre pilsner tbh, so I'd probably be leaning towards giving them the benefit of the doubt. Its likely that lots brewer take shortcuts in terms of colourings flavours for cheapo versions of other styles, so I'd love to see better labeling happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

An File wrote: »
    In fairness, isinglass is used in a fair few beers. That's a fish by-product.

Some would also filter or centrifuge it all out, meaning like yeast it was used in the production process but it's not in the end product.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Some would also filter or centrifuge it all out, meaning like yeast it was used in the production process but it's not in the end product.

Yeast proteins do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

This 'certain beer full of chemicals' thing is another Irish pub myth largely propagated by people who dont know much about beer.

drumswan wrote: »
    This 'certain beer full of chemicals' thing is another Irish pub myth largely propagated by people who dont know much about beer.

hydrogen dioxide is fecken lethal :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Water doesnt just fall from the sky you know !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

oblivious wrote: »
    hydrogen dioxide is fecken lethal :P

Killed nearly 150 people in Ireland in 2012 and still nothing is being done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,701 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Heineken is brewed in accordance with the German Reinheitsgebot, so yes only water, hops, barley & yeast are used. Nothing else.

unkel wrote: »
    Heineken is brewed in accordance with the German Reinheitsgebot, so yes only water, hops, barley & yeast are used. Nothing else.

Surely they could just brew a certain amount under those laws for the German market (like I believe Guinness does) and the rest under whatever other process that's being postulated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Surely they could just brew a certain amount under those laws for the German market (like I believe Guinness does) and the rest under whatever other process that's being postulated?

It's not a law though, it's a philosophy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

(like I believe Guinness does)
    :confused: Guinness is always brewed with roasted barley, which is non-compliant. Foreign breweries don't have to comply with the Reinheitsgebot to sell beer in Germany.

• Advertisement

It's not a law though, it's a philosophy.

Used to be law. Ah ok. The actual law does look quite lenient in fairness.

Advertisement