Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 speed limit query

Options
  • 29-11-2009 4:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

What's the speed limit Southbound on the m50 between n7 and ballymount exits?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

100kph

There is nearly always a garda van just before the N7 over the weekends so hope you were'nt speeding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

100kpm

There is nearly always a garda van just before the N7 over the weekends so hope you were'nt speeding!

At 100 kilometres per minute, I sincerely hope not! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

bazzer wrote: »
    At 100 kilometres per minute, I sincerely hope not! :D

Whoops! Too early of a sunday! Good spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks lads. My main query really was to make sure the limit was 100 and not roadworks speed limit of 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

It's rare that I've seen anyone obeying the posted speed limit on the M50, at least between the the M1 interchange and J9, in both directions. The guards would presumably have a field day if they bothered about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Speaking of, why have they reduced the speed limit in some areas to 100?
    I mean, when it was two lanes, it was 120 but now they've made it 3 lanes, they lower it to 100? Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Speaking of, why have they reduced the speed limit in some areas to 100?
    I mean, when it was two lanes, it was 120 but now they've made it 3 lanes, they lower it to 100? Why is that?

Lanes are narrower?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lanes are narrower?

Yeah that was one part of it alright. It's an "urban motorway" speed limit, plus the concrete barrier reduced the sight lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lower speeds also mean that the total flow at peak times is better and safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

Victor wrote: »

i noticed at the weekend going southbound from the M1, some of the previously covered up 100kph signs were uncovered but then a few hundred yards later the 60kph sign was visible and a few hundred yards later again the 100kph, then the 60kph etc.

Anyone else notice this?
    Totally confusing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Driving 60 kmh is frickin dangerous. Was driving back from the airport late one night and thought, seen as though there's nobody else on the road, I'll slow down to 60 when they say just to see how it is. I wouldn't try it, a car will be through your boot before you can say, "man this is slow!".

Driving 60 kmh is frickin dangerous. Was driving back from the airport late one night and thought, seen as though there's nobody else on the road, I'll slow down to 60 when they say just to see how it is. I wouldn't try it, a car will be through your boot before you can say, "man this is slow!".

Yeah, I can understand a 60 limit when there's a pile of workmen but they really should stick up new signs overnight or get VMS signs up on those gantries so that people can boot it a bit later on at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Doing 60km/h on the M50 is ridiculously dangerous (even when the workers are on the roadside), because it isn't enforced and you find yourself being tailgated and overtaken by everything (trucks, buses, Garda Traffic Corps vehicles, you name it...). I feel a lot safer sticking to a steady 90-100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

I presume the plan is to introduce variable speed limits once the job is done? Haven't seen any legislation for this yet.

rubensni wrote: »
    I presume the plan is to introduce variable speed limits once the job is done? Haven't seen any legislation for this yet.
    An SI was put in place for the Port Tunnel.

rubensni wrote: »

No because it's been stated that the project can't afford Variable Message Signs to make it work. Pure short sightedness tbh, how much can a few of them cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

sdonn wrote: »
    Yeah, I can understand a 60 limit when there's a pile of workmen but they really should stick up new signs overnight or get VMS signs up on those gantries so that people can boot it a bit later on at night.

It's not possible to do that under Irish legislation. When a local authority wants to temporarily reduce the speed limit, they have to do it at a minuted meeting and publish a notice in An Iris Oifigiuil. The lower speed limit is in place until it is revoked so it can't be changed every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Do they have speed limit,traffic info gantry's on the M50?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Greenman wrote: »
    Do they have speed limit,traffic info gantry's on the M50?

No, not at the moment, but the gantries are built to fit them later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Davy wrote: »
    No, not at the moment, but the gantries are built to fit them later

Well lets hope they will be installed on the finished bits and operated correctly.:)

• Advertisement

Greenman wrote: »
    Well lets hope they will be installed on the finished bits and operated correctly.:)

The few already in place are used wonderfully on the M1 I must say; I;ve seen warnings of accidents, journey times, fog warnings and advance info about the tunnel's status all displayed in the right place at the right time and frequently.

The M50 VMS's that were taken out as part of the upgrade were small (too small to be seen from Lane 3 at 100km/h IMO) and always just had "Heed your speed, arrive alive" displayed and invariably little else. Better, bigger signs located in the middle of the road on overhead gantries is the way to go.

An SI was put in place for the Port Tunnel.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0637.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

markpb wrote: »
    It's not possible to do that under Irish legislation. When a local authority wants to temporarily reduce the speed limit, they have to do it at a minuted meeting and publish a notice in An Iris Oifigiuil. The lower speed limit is in place until it is revoked so it can't be changed every night.
    I thought the tunnel in Cork had the ability to switch the signs from 80 to 50 and back (as well as the lane closed signage as well)?

For a roadworks speed limit order, all you need is the managers signature and publish in two local papers.

So explain the port tunnel to me? Granted it's different legislation but nowhere in the SI Victor posted does it state that the operator could change the limit, just that it could change the signage to effect whatever the speed limit at that time happens to be.

The speed limit bye-laws empower the operator to change the limit in specific circumstances.

http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/special_speed_limit_byelaws_2006.pdf

6. Eighty kilometres per hour shall be the special speed limit for mechanically
    propelled vehicles on the roads specified in the Fourth Schedule to these bye-laws
    except where the circumstances set out in paragraph 7 of these bye laws apply.
    This speed limit to be indicated by variable message sign.
    7. Fifty kilometres per hour shall be the special speed limit for mechanically propelled
    vehicles on the roads specified in the Fourth Schedule to these bye-laws in the
    event of an incident or maintenance works causing an obstruction or when there is
    a risk of congestion on the roads. This speed limit to be indicated by variable
    message sign.

FOURTH SCHEDULE
    1. M1 motorway, southbound, between the City Boundary and the nose of the
    converging lane (on ramp) at the Coolock Lane Interchange.
    2. The Dublin Port Tunnel, Southbound.
    3. The Dublin Port Tunnel, Northbound.

Note the bye-laws change next month.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you should have tried on the old limits, turning off the M50 on to the N4 , and having to halve your speed to travel on a road just as wide

you should have tried on the old limits, turning off the M50 on to the N4 , and having to halve your speed to travel on a road just as wide

It's still ridiculous, 80 km/h on a road well able for at LEAST 100km/h.

sdonn wrote: »
    It's still ridiculous, 80 km/h on a road well able for at LEAST 100km/h.
    Do you mean the Lucan Road at Liffey Valley? I'm sure the people getting on the bus at Liffey Valley will appreciate that when a coach rear-ends it at 100km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Do you mean the Lucan Road at Liffey Valley? I'm sure the people getting on the bus at Liffey Valley will appreciate that when a coach rear-ends it at 100km/h.
    Isn't there a lower speed limit for the bus lane and the regular driving lane on the N3 outbound from Dublin once it gets into Meath? I've never actually driven on this road so I could have been misinterpreting the sign, not thinking about it too much, but even so couldn't something similar be put in place on the N4? 80 km/h on a freeflow 4 lane road is just nuts.

Advertisement