Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving test prep

Options
  • 11-07-2006 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

I have my driving test in 2 weeks ... what sorta questions am I going to be asked before we actually get down to the driving stage?

Where are the major stumbling blocks I should look out for?

Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cor

I'd recommend taking an hour's lesson just before you take your test. Good luck with the test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yes. Definately. An hours practice test. You'll make all your mistakes then.

In mine, you just had to answer a few simple questions, like how to be good at a roundabout. Then a few 'identify what this road sign means'. Then theres the new questions about the workings of the car that I didnt get.

Best of luck though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cor wrote:
    I'd recommend taking an hour's lesson just before you take your test. Good luck with the test!

set it for an hour and a half before your test.

ie your test is at 9am get the pretest for 7:30am, just to allow you time to have a bit of a breather and also and more importantly be on time.

good luck and i hope ya do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You don't state the category - I assume it's B. Typical questions:-

1. When can you overtake on the left?
    2. What should you do when you meet an amber light?
    3. When should you use dipped headlights?
    4. When can you cross a continuous white line?
    5. When can you stop in a yellow box junction?
    6. What would you do if you were being blinded by another vehicle's headlights?

It is a good idea to quality you answers with phrases such as "if it is safe to do so" or "if the way ahead is clear" etc..

Ensure you have valid Tax, Insurance and NCT (if applicable) discs.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yeah, it's the basic test for driving a car ... B I believe ...

1. err... when turning left or when moving in 2 lanes of slow moving traffic ?
    2. slow down, prepare to stop, keep alert ?
    3. in fog or when driving behind another car ?
    4. to turn right? you can't otherwise ?
    5. when turning right - only if there's a space to move into at the other side of the junction ?
    6. slow down and prepare to stop ?

How are my answers? And yeah, I plan on doing a pretest next week and then another the day before.

What are these questions about the working of the car? Like where the oil goes etc ? How in depth do they go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

ciaranfo wrote:
    Yeah, it's the basic test for driving a car ... B I believe ...

1. err... when turning left or when moving in 2 lanes of slow moving traffic ?
    2. slow down, prepare to stop, keep alert ?
    3. in fog or when driving behind another car ?
    4. to turn right? you can't otherwise ?
    5. when turning right - only if there's a space to move into at the other side of the junction ?
    6. slow down and prepare to stop ?

How are my answers? And yeah, I plan on doing a pretest next week and then another the day before.

What are these questions about the working of the car? Like where the oil goes etc ? How in depth do they go?

The additional questions asked about a car are now on www.drivingtest.ie so log on there and check them out. Incidentally, the recently updated Rules of the Road book is out so pick it up as well soon as you can. Learn this book off by heart big time. Oh and learn the hand signals as well, they are a big stumbling block.

As to a pre test, my own view of it is that while it could be better spent getting driving tuition on aspects of the test that one is weaker in, it is still a worthwhile exercise to undertake so long as a decent instructor takes it. Knowing the routes used in a test centre does help you, but to be honest, if you are a good driver you will know the fundamentals of driving no matter what road you are on; besides the testers have many routes they use to test drivers on so it's not the be all and end all .Just get as much lessons and practise between now and the test using a DIR registered instructor if possible, and make sure your car is fit to do a test (Mechanics, tyres, fuel, oil, washed, etc) in time so you know all is well beforehand.

Contrary to popular belief, the testers are not out there to screw you over so just relax and do your best. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

You don't state the category - I assume it's B. Typical questions:-

1. When can you overtake on the left?
    2. What should you do when you meet an amber light?
    3. When should you use dipped headlights?
    4. When can you cross a continuous white line?
    5. When can you stop in a yellow box junction?
    6. What would you do if you were being blinded by another vehicle's headlights?

Best have a guess at these, see how badly I know them!

1. When a vehicle is obstructing your progress in the lane or if you are changing lane to turn left.
    2. Stop, unless it is unsafe or impossible to do so. Amber means stop, Red means you ought to be stopped.
    3. Dipped lights go on an hour after light up time and in heavy rain or dark conditions, but not fog.
    4. Only if you are obstusted in your lane by a stopped vehicle or if you are turning right, when it is safe to do so.
    5. If you are turning right, and only if you are not blocking any vehicle.
    6. Briefly glance to the left then eyes straight ahead without stopping.

Glad I'm not being tested soon!

Yes, definatly the hand signals. Learn all of them. I got asked in mine.

How important is the hand signals for example? Say he asked me and I failed them all.. would I fail my test?

No.

You're allowed to make 8x Grade 2 faults in the exam, at maximum. Those are things like not looking properly, not incicating early enough etc.

Every foul-up you make (2 things wrong) in the misc questions beforehand = 1x grade 2 fault. I THINK. Dont quote me on that, I'm not 100%.

But there are only 3 or 4 you have to know. Its worth learning them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If you take your test in Mallow, remember the roundabout outside the test centre has a stop sign on it......followed a guy on hie test on Monday...straight through, automatic fail :(

It'll be in Finglas ... any notable things on that route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ford Cortina

It cannot hurt to leave a 50 euro note stuck to the left seat and glance over at it and cough a few times.

There are also some poorman alternatives if you can't spare 50 euro.

If you want the shorten the test and distract the tester "subtly", it's a good idea to eat a load of beans the night before. At first you might feel a trickle and then it might make your back tickle but the tester will try to open the window but you'll have been thinking ahead and have already engaged the window lock. Excuse yourself at this point and tell the tester that the worst is yet to come and that you have a proctologist appointment right after the test. ..... The test will be over before you know it.

Also if you put a brick under the seat cover on the passenger side, the tester wants to wrap things up pretty quick as he will get mighty uncomfortable real fast. He'll pass your test because he doesn't want to end up with you again.

Ladies just have to wear a miniskirt and high heels.

Anyone else got other ideas or suggestions for passing your test??

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dochasach

ciaranfo wrote:
    It'll be in Finglas ... any notable things on that route?

Yeah, some of the brilliant Finglas lads enjoy freaking out beginning drivers by jumping or pretending to jump in front of your vehicle during the test. I can't remember whether it's -5 or +5 points if you run them down.

I must live in a better neighborhood, the brilliant lads here try to impress young ladies by throwing stones at them... :-(

Where is Mr. Darwin when we need him?

Appreciate the jokes lads, but could do with some serious advive too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dochasach

ciaranfo wrote:
    Appreciate the jokes lads, but could do with some serious advive too :)

I wish it were a joke, one of the reason's I picked raheny over finglas was that I'd heard from people who said the Finglas lads did that to people taking their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hey, did the test on thurs for the second time and failed again! both my previous instructors said they dont know how i didnt pass the first time, my driving is very competent. my bro went in to do it yesterday and passed first time after 2 lessons, wasnt nearly as well prepared as i was. now the one thing ill give my bro is he was more likely to be confident as he hadnt failed the first time and didnt know (other than hearing) just how pathetic some of these testers are. Not that i was nervous, whats the point, when your in the test centre, to late for nerves now!So he was out for a lesson on the wed (i was in on thurs again for test) he comes home i asked him how it went bla bla bla, and eventually he mentions his instructor saying this guy, wont mention his name, in the chuchtown centre is the most critical f****r ever! who do i get only himself and this isnt a word of a lie, my expectations of passing went from fairly high to very low. My instructor said to me your a good driver be confident and if you fail again i kill ya! The thing is do not be stupid enough to think that once your driving is of a passable standard you will pass! I would rate circumstance and your tester on the day making up as much as half of your chance of passing once again even if you "should pass"! by improving your driving id say you are narrowing the chances of failing, but so much is out of your control, if this is your first time good luck! Get this, first test didnt get marked down for observation once, this test failed on observation! i know there is nothing wrong with my observation, i over observe if anything! observation was practically it, he didnt mark me down for any of the mistakes i made in the first test (different tester), although i hope i addressed these, funny isnt it? they will all look for different things. secondly i was getting my lessons from a very reputable school of motoring, why wasnt i brought corrected on my errors the first time, or were they even errors? Im going to make a written complaint about the second instructor, from what iv heard i wouldnt say its the first, and afaik they can be struck of the register if enough complaints are received. Oh and one other thing i dont know how many testers there are in churchtown but if you are applying here there would probably be a decent chance depending on the number of testers that you would get him. If your offered me a test tommorow with him i would not take it, i went onto drivingtest.ie and it says that if you reapply for same centre they will do their best not to get you same tester second time round, in the notes section on the application form i said just to reitterate that i do not want this tester again, just to be sure to be sure :)Now thing is if your a young male its gonna be harder to pass than a female or anyone from their mid 20's and upwards. The whole thing is a joke people, peope i know who recently got their full licenses know the system is a joke, and even when i get my full license ill still be incensed, for everyone else who has to sit the test, pay a fortune for preparation wait a year and then driver prefectly competently just to be told "bad news im afraid you failed"! where is your comeback if you fail, alot of these f***ers play god, thers is no video replay, no two testers, no comeback whatsoever!my mate grazed the kerb (not mounted just scuffed it gently) on reverse just as instructor said stop when reversing around corner, he got a grade 3 my gf hit the kerb and she got a grade 2, now explain that to me please?! is it a fail or isnt it?! im sure there are nice honest testers my bro said he got one, but at the moment i am really beyond pi**ed off. Fingers crossed for you mate!

good point about if your a competent driver not knowing the roads a 100% shouldnt matter to much, if your taking a left your taking a left etc dosnt matter where it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Idbatterim wrote:
    Im going to make a written complaint about the second instructor, from what iv heard i wouldnt say its the first, and afaik they can be struck of the register if enough complaints are received.

I wouldn't recommend this. It's not going to bring any benefit to you, and may count against you in future tests (even though it shouldn't, but you know how the testers stick together over pay etc.)

Just forget about your last test and concentrate on passing the next one.

yeah, everyone who knows about the test said make a complaint, and the main reason i would make one is because i had heard he has a reputation. Its not really about me at this stage ( i dont intend on appealing) just reapply and get on with it. I just think its unfair others waiting a year, being screwed over by him and thinking its their fault, when alot of the time im sure it isnt, but yeah im well aware of the possible implications of citing him. my post was massive, but i just think alot of people get the impression that if your driving is ok / good whatever you will pass, i just think you can do so much, but after that your faith is out of your hands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Idbatterim wrote:
    i just think alot of people get the impression that if your driving is ok / good whatever you will pass, i just think you can do so much, but after that your faith is out of your hands...

Agree completely..

Also, recently did my test, tester was 100% sound and passed but did get a grade 2 fault for failing to react correctly to a hazard. taught o.k fair enough i passed so don't really mind but in my opinion i reacted correctly took many people including instucter to location where fault occured and described the situation everyone said i was right tester was wrong.

what i'm saying is it is possible that a tester's opinion of the correct thing to do in a situation can be wrong and you do the right thing and possibly fail because of it. this is wrong.

Also just like to add that the whole testing and licenceing system in this country is a joke the ministers responsible should be ashamed of themselves, how hard can it be to hire a few extra testers and design and implement a proper training system for young people.

I've booked myself two pretests with ISM. Each one is 2 hours long. .. with one the morning of my test.

Any feedback on ISM for pretests? I did all my lessons with them and didn't have any MAJOR complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Idbatterim wrote:
    Im going to make a written complaint about the second instructor,

I really would not recommend complaining about any tester if you did not pass your test, as unfortunately, I do think it could prejudice a future test.

However, I would recommend that anyone who has had a genuinely bad experience on a test does send in a complaint ONCE THEY HAVE PASSED. The department says that they do not receive any complaints (no wonder) so after you have passed your test it cannot jepordise you anymore.

Advertisement