Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 keeps restarting itself

Options
  • 18-02-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So I purchased the s3 last Wednesday and on the Thursday it restarted itself twice. It did it again in the middle of the night Thursday, again Friday, Saturday etc. I'd look at it after its been idle for a few mins and press the home button and nothing would happen.
    sometimes i'd be holding it and it would restart itself. So i brought it to the shop and he said to download samsung keis and make sure the software was up to date, did that few hours ago but it just restarted itself again!!
    This happen to anyone? How do I get a replacement? I'm assuming the phone is faulty?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Happened to me twice today . Any update on yours

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

Happening on my S3 as well. Phone is a few months old now, and this has been going on for a couple of weeks. A few days ago, it happened again, but this time, it was stuck on a boot loop, where it would get as far as the Galaxy S3 logo splash screen and then restart over again. Did a factory reset (accessible by holding the volume up key, the home button and the power button). I also cleared the cache partition. That didn't help. I then used Odin to flash the firmware, using the official Jelly Bean firmware. That didn't work either. I tried using Odin again, this time with the official Ginger Bread firmware. That fixed my problem. I then applied the OTA updates to get back up to the latest firmware. I only reinstalled the bare essential apps, but I'm now noticing that I'm back to the original problem of the phone rebooting itself...randomly.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I guess I'll have to try and get an exchange. Just thought I'd post this here in case it might help someone.

By the way, to access the ODIN mode (also used for Kies emergency restore), you hold the volume down key, the home button, and press and hold the power button until the logo appears, then let go).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Sounds like you have what I have been experiencing "sudden death syndrome"

Download "Emmc brickbug check" from the play store and see if says "insane chip" if so there is a chip fault with the phone

Do some googling and you will find out more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Sounds like you have what I have been experiencing "sudden death syndrome"

Download "Emmc brickbug check" from the play store and see if says "insane chip" if so there is a chip fault with the phone

Do some googling and you will find out more
    Mine says insane chip but my phone is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I had issues with my phone freezing. Just started out of nowhere and got worse over the space of about three days until it was happening every hour. I did a factory reset which made it much better, but it still happens about once every three days.

Just downloaded that app there and it seems I have the ropey memory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

leemaree wrote: »
    Mine says insane chip but my phone is fine

Mine too, but potential is there, lucky so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

My S3 did have a couple of resets prior to going belly-up with SDS, which looking back now, felt like a warning that something was about to go bang.
    Happened not long after an official firmware update.........sluggish performance which I thought was related to multi-view being implemented, excessive screen redraw, resets etc. Then one morning, the phone was completely marbh.

Not to be a prophet of doom or anything, but you never know how memory faults can manifest themselves - or it could be just dodgy Touchwiz at work.
    If the latest update doesn't seem to fix things, and a return is viable, then it could be the best option.

Thanks for the suggestions / info!

What do ye think? Should I bring mine back to Carphone Warehouse or let Samsung deal with it directly? My GF brought her Huawei phone back to CPW for repair only recently. It took them over a month to finally admit they couldn't fix it, and give her a replacement. CPW is about 80 km away from me, and I'd have to drop it in and pick it up. It does take them a long time, but at least there's a satisfactory resolution eventually. Samsung, on the other hand, have offered to either pick up the phone by courier or send a free-post jiffy bag. I have no experience with Samsung support at all, and not sure how long it would take there, but at least it would save me travelling 320 kms.

I suppose I'm just wondering has anyone here gone the Samsung route before, and if so, was the experience positive or negative. I guess either way, I'd have to organise a temp replacement before I give the phone away, since I use it for business.

On another thought, I wonder how easy it would be to trade in the S3 for an S4....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

jma wrote: »
    On another thought, I wonder how easy it would be to trade in the S3 for an S4....

I will be attempting to trade for a S4

Mine phone has stop freezing/restarting for the past two days, didn't do anything with it,expecting it to happen again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

My GS2 used to do that all the time. It would restart and I sometimes didnt notice that it had come on without the sim pin which meant I had no service on phone.

I took out my Micro SD card and it never happened again, it just didnt like the SD card.

I will be attempting to trade for a S4

Mine phone has stop freezing/restarting for the past two days, didn't do anything with it,expecting it to happen again!

Do you know where they offer this kind of service, or would you just try and sell the S3?

My GS2 used to do that all the time. It would restart and I sometimes didnt notice that it had come on without the sim pin which meant I had no service on phone.

I took out my Micro SD card and it never happened again, it just didnt like the SD card.

I think I had this problem with my GS3. I'm pretty sure the 16 GB SD card was causing it to crash. I can't remember if I replaced it or if I formatted the old one, but I'm pretty sure it was better after that...until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I've just started getting this, as well as the odd freeze when I use Chrome browser. I do remember seeing a message saying that "Touchwiz was not responding".

Anyone successfully resolved this?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

my s2 done that aswell as freezing. sent it away and they said it was a connection error.. updated the software to s3 software for me aswell :) send it to vodafone,,, takes about a week to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fred344

My S3 was restarting/freezing around 5 times a day. I took the SD card out and it hasn't happened since.

Jelly Bean + SD Card + S3 = Problems. Just get rid of one of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

fred344 wrote: »
    My S3 was restarting/freezing around 5 times a day. I took the SD card out and it hasn't happened since.

Jelly Bean + SD Card + S3 = Problems. Just get rid of one of them. :)

Guys, honestly, this is just ridiculous...it just is.

If this was a washing machine, or a tumble dryer, or any other device, what would you do, if the device or machine was faulty, from new, and could not be used as it is supposed to be used??

Where did you get your phone(s) from??

Take it back, and demand a working replacement or your money back.

This is your right, under EU legislation, transposed into Irish Consumer Law.

Deal only with where you bought it or took out your contract, or whatever.

You do not need to deal with a manufacturer, that is up to the retailer.

Here is a PDF, showing your rights under EU and Irish Law....

http://www.nca.ie/media/Yourrightswhenshopping1.pdf

Bring it with you when you go to demand your rights as a consumer.
    Under consumer law, if you buy an item from a shop it must:

— Be of a reasonable and acceptable standard and quality.

— Be fit for the purpose it was bought for.

— Match the description given by the retailer or in any advertisement.

The shop must not make false or exaggerated claims about the item.
    Faulty or broken products

If a product turns out to be faulty and you are not to blame for the fault, or if a particular fault was not brought to your attention when you bought the item, you have a number of options under consumer law.

Goods can have major or minor faults, and you have different rights depending on the type of fault:
    If the fault is major, for example if you buy a kettle and it stops working shortly after you start using it, you have the option to reject it and have your money returned.

If a fault occurs within the first 6 months after you buy it, it is presumed that it was there when you bought the item

I know people think:

ohhh, my phone is rooted, warranty voided!!!!!

Not so, you have a Statutory Warranty in the EU, two years, and rooting does not void this, unless the retailer or manufacturer can prove you caused actual damage by the rooting process.....see below:

There is an understood compulsory warranty period in the EU, under Consumer legislation, and unless you have done something stupid which damages the Hardware, you cannot be denied a remedy for a faulty phone, rooted or not....

here is some reading which may clarify:

http://matija.suklje.name/rooting-an...warranty-in-eu
    So, we finally come to the question of rooting, flashing and changing the software. Unless the seller can prove that modifying the software, rooting your device or flashing it with some other OS or firmware was the cause for the defect, you are still covered for defects during those 2 years. A good test to see if it is the software’s fault is to flash it back with stock firmware/OS and see if the problem persists. If it does, it is not a software-caused problem. If it is not possible to revert it stock software any more, it is also not a software-caused defect. There are very few hardware defects that are caused by software — e.g. overriding the speaker volume above the safe level could blow the speaker.

Many manufacturers of consumer devices write into their warranties a paragraph that by changing the software or “rooting” your device, you void the warranty. You have to understand that in EU we have a “statutory warranty”, which is compulsory that the seller must offer by law (Directive 1999/44/CE, §7.1) and a “voluntary warranty” which the seller or manufacturer can, but does not need to, offer as an additional service to the consumer. Usually the “voluntary warranty” covers a longer period of time or additional accidents not covered by law6. If though the seller, the manufacturer or anyone else offers a “voluntary warranty”, he is bound to it as well!

So, even if, by any chance your “voluntary warranty” got voided, by European law, you should still have the 2 year “compulsory warranty” as it is described in the Directive and which is the topic of this article.

In case the seller refuses your right to repair or replace the device, you can sue him in a civil litigation and can report the incident to the national authority. In many European countries such action does not even require hiring a lawyer and is most of the time ensured by consumers associations.

The warranty under this Directive is only applicable inside the European Union and only if you bought the device as a consumer.

I got my problem sorted. I traded in my S3 at Carphone Warehouse and got the S4. They gave me €250 for the S3, and the S4 cost me €200 on a €35 pm contract extension, so I killed 2 birds with 1 stone - don't have to worry about the S3 problems any more, got a "free" upgrade to S4, and I walked away with €50 credit.

The S4 is a very nice phone, by the way, in case any one is wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

jma wrote: »
    I got my problem sorted. I traded in my S3 at Carphone Warehouse and got the S4. They gave me €250 for the S3, and the S4 cost me €200 on a €35 pm contract extension, so I killed 2 birds with 1 stone - don't have to worry about the S3 problems any more, got a "free" upgrade to S4, and I walked away with €50 credit.

The S4 is a very nice phone, by the way, in case any one is wondering...

How long is the contract?

How long is the contract?

It's 24 months. This made the decision very difficult for me, but I've been with Vodafone since they took over Eircell, and with Eircell for a few years before that. Also, most of my contacts are Vodafone. I did speak to O2 to see if they could offer me anything, but they couldn't.

For reference, O2 are offering about €150 for the S3, and they offer an extra €100 off if you switch your number and sign up to their new business plan, which costs about €50 inc. VAT pm (all inclusive, with UK calls and texts). ...As I recall. I did hear that they offer a very good service to business customers, and are very open to negotiation (via dedicated account manager), but it seems you need to get your foot in the door first.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Personally, I tried all of these steps and more. While none of them worked for me, I'm sure they probably would work for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Over the past few weeks my SG3 became very unstable to the point I was going to send it back to get repaired.

It was constantly rebooting and freezing..

Anyway after searching around I found a fix that worked for me

I uninstalled Facebook App,Chrome and Swiftkey Flow.

This seems to have fixed my problem and I haven't had a reboot for 3 weeks now

Hopefully this will help somebody else

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

This issue of it Freezing/Restarting has been happening to my S3 last week or so and its very annoying! I have cleared the catch and various other methods suggested online but its still happening. I bought my S3 9/10 months ago and i haven't insurance...will Three still be liable for this?Is their a warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This issue of it Freezing/Restarting has been happening to my S3 last week or so and its very annoying! I have cleared the catch and various other methods suggested online but its still happening. I bought my S3 9/10 months ago and i haven't insurance...will Three still be liable for this?Is their a warranty?

The store you bought it from is a liable for a year and samsung cover it for two(and aditional one on the shop).

Before going for a repair try a factory reset.

Advertisement