Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least 4.7 billion people believe in a false God

Options
  • 13-12-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

A thought just occured to me...

Let's just assume that Christianity is all true and the 1.9 billion people who believe in it are correct. That means that 4.7 billion people believe in something which is totally false. A good proportion of these 4.7 billion people devote their lives and go through daily rituals in support of a false God. If Christianity is not 'the one' this 4.7 billion gets even higher.

Anywho, what I would like to ask releigious peoples is if, at a minimum, 4.7 billion people in the world are capable of being duped into believing in a false religion passed down through the generations, the variant of religion being largely based on their geographical location, isn't it, statistically speaking, most likely that you are one of the duped?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they'll just say 'ah we knew that, they haven't seen the light of christ/muhammed/elephand guy .. we'll just kill enough of them until we're on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd say it's closer to 6.6 billion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anywho, what I would like to ask releigious peoples is...
    In theory I should move this to the Christianity forum, but I don't see any point.

Most Christians would rather not think about it, and the ones that do will of course reassert that they are in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

don't you mean 6,600 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think a lot of "religions" believe in very similar things. It's all just phrased differently and as such interpeted differently. So really there can be no one true religion as it has all been changed by generation after generation of interpetation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN had a standard religious take on this statistical argument a few days ago (see this post). Since PDN believes that christianity is the right religion, and christians make up around one third of the world's population, a random believer has a chance of picking the correct religion themselves of approximately one in three. "...and improving every day" he adds.

I can't tell if he's being serious or not here, but regardless, this hopelessly fallacious point seems to be accepted by other religious thinkers too, where it's thought of at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well.. that's..... nice

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SyxPak wrote: »
    don't you mean 6,600 million?
    The short scale is the standard scale of official and scientific documentation so
    6,600,000,000 === 6.6 billion :p

As pointed out, the thought that *someone* is right, is the first mistake. There is nothing to say that anyone's religious beliefs are correct. IMO, it is most likely that we are *all* wrong rather than any one system being completely right.

My basis for this being that we simply have insufficient knowledge to have stumbled upon the correct answer by mistake or any other means. There is a possibility that someone is partially right, but I firmly believe that nobody has it completely sorted. It's just not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dude you just need to read your Bible more thoroughly. The answer is in there, you just have to look really closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

No matter what way you look at religion it has very little logic to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm not sure where the 4.7 billion "wrong believers" comes from.

Roughly 6.3 billion on the planet, 2.1 billion Christian, 1.1 billion non-believers, leaving roughly 3 billion people following non-Christian religions.

400px-Worldwide_percentage_of_Adherents_by_Religion.png
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups

You've also got to take into account the fact that the statement "assuming Christianity is true" doesn't make a lot of sense, it's not that there's one Christian church, and whatever the differences in their beliefs (to be honest the details bore me) they're obviously important to these Christians, enough for them to form separate churches anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

It's funny how Atheists rank high but are placed on the bottom of the list like losers. Still take heart, you old nazis are giving the Jews a good hammering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's funny how Atheists rank high but are placed on the bottom of the list like losers. Still take heart, you old nazis are giving the Jews a good hammering :)

Please don't ban the bigot-troll - he amuses me!

Advertisement