Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Honestly, I think anything other than a quick KO and Punk's walking out from the fight better than I thought he would. As a massive fan, would still have zero expectations, and looking at interviews and the show...I don't think he thinks he's going to set the world alight either. Its a personal thing for him, to see can he do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Honestly, I think anything other than a quick KO and Punk's walking out from the fight better than I thought he would. As a massive fan, would still have zero expectations, and looking at interviews and the show...I don't think he thinks he's going to set the world alight either. Its a personal thing for him, to see can he do it.

Yep, lasting more than 30 seconds is about as much as I'm hoping for from him. I don't really get why people want to see him utterly humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I hope the lad does well cause it seems like many are treating it as a joke and no one is taken him serious. I think if he can win a few and lose a few, and if he did return to WWE one day he be seen as a bad ass, plus if he pulls in the box office and viewership he can name his price. Lesnar lost a few but he's still seen as a bad ass. Good luck to him, I hope his UFC run doesn't turn into a joke. Got to admire him for at least trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Punk manages to win a fight or two and returns to WWE as the guy to finally beat lesnar and burn Suplex city to the ground. Its a story line years in the making all orchestrated by Vince, the genetic jackhammer fooled us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Looper007 wrote: »

I hope the lad does well cause it seems like many are treating it as a joke and no one is taken him serious. I think if he can win a few and lose a few, and if he did return to WWE one day he be seen as a bad ass, plus if he pulls in the box office and viewership he can name his price. Lesnar lost a few but he's still seen as a bad ass. Good luck to him, I hope his UFC run doesn't turn into a joke. Got to admire him for at least trying.
    If he ends his UFC run with any wins I'd consider it a success tbh.
    No matter how many or how few fights he has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Mickie Gall should use Copacabana by Barry Manilow for his entrance music

I think a win at all would be a towering achievement given his background. Making it through a round and getting some points in the process against someone like gall seems like enough of a target tbh.

Definitely wouldn't be enough to stop the vast majority taking the piss out of him, but that seems borderline unavoidable.

I think a win at all would be a towering achievement given his background. Making it through a round and getting some points in the process against someone like gall seems like enough of a target tbh.
    Picking up points in MMA is more like boxing than other combat sports like wrestling, judo etc.
    Losing a round 10-9 or 10-8 doesn't mean you did anything to earn points.
    If it goes the distance he'll be doing well. Be interesting to see how he look in the open workouts and the final episode of The Evolution of Punk
    Definitely wouldn't be enough to stop the vast majority taking the piss out of him, but that seems borderline unavoidable.
    They'll (mostly) stop if his performance warrants it tbh. He shouldn't get a pass because he's having a go at it, imo of course. There are means there to have a go, amateur fights, jiujitsu tournaments etc. He decided he wanted to jump in at pro level (for obvious reasons) and he has to accept that a certain scrutiny will come along with that.

Mellor wrote: »
    They'll (mostly) stop if his performance warrants it tbh. He shouldn't get a pass because he's having a go at it, imo of course. There are means there to have a go, amateur fights, jiujitsu tournaments etc. He decided he wanted to jump in at pro level (for obvious reasons) and he has to accept that a certain scrutiny will come along with that.

Whoops, should've clarified, I seriously doubt he will. There's a whole range of different goalposts here.

1. he won't seem entirely out of place within a competitive sport
    2. he won't seem entirely out of place within MMA
    3. he won't seem entirely out of place within UFC
    4. he'll seem remotely within the range of being considered competitive
    5. he'll actually mount some kind of serious challenge
    6. he wins a fight

The second is about as much as I can expect from him. Considering he's taking on such a crazy challenge, he shouldn't be too phased by the abuse after the fact. If he carries himself okay I'd imagine it'll be calm enough, mind.

His response to losing and the abuse he receives afterwards will be very telling as to how he moves on from things in the future from here on out. As I said earlier, he does seem to be fairly happy the last while and has been looking well so hopefully he doesn't slip into his twitter spats and all that again.

4th and final part of the show now up.

Extremely excited to see how this goes. Anything other than tripping over the door frame making his way into the cage, and he's exceeded my initial expectations :P

• Advertisement

Whoops, should've clarified, I seriously doubt he will. There's a whole range of different goalposts here.

1. he won't seem entirely out of place within a competitive sport
    2. he won't seem entirely out of place within MMA
    3. he won't seem entirely out of place within UFC
    4. he'll seem remotely within the range of being considered competitive
    5. he'll actually mount some kind of serious challenge
    6. he wins a fight

The second is about as much as I can expect from him.
    Pretty good summary imo.
    I agree about no.2

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can't decide if I want Punk knocked out beaten to a pulp or made tap out.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

He may be cutting weight for fight night but Punk finally shed that skinny fat ass look. Trips would be proud!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUEf5o7s_Dc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I can't decide if I want Punk knocked out beaten to a pulp or made tap out.

I am the same. I do want to see who he pins the blame on after it though, because nothing negative that happens is ever his fault.

In saying that there is a part of me which wants to see the reaction from the 'we don't care about him but we'll seek out every thread about him and run him down' mma purist brigade if he causes an upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I flip flop on Punk so much.

I hear one interview and think the guy is an utter tool. Then I can hear another and I'll be totally gunning for the guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

He looked so poor in the open workouts. Mickey looked no joke on the ground in his though.

Also, I will not be shocked if punk misses weight. The line "to me, its common sense", if thats what he actually believes and does not have a nutritionist to help with the cut, is such a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Quite surprised that he hasn't ruled out Cult Of Personality as a walkout song,thought he would want a clean break. Though he says he's had an association with it since '89 in one form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CM Punk: "..I see guys taking off their wrist tape off and just throw it on the ground"
    Ariel Helwani: "Wow"
    Take note, Bob Holly is your guy to keep a room tidy.

Tinie wrote: »
    Also, I will not be shocked if punk misses weight. The line "to me, its common sense", if thats what he actually believes and does not have a nutritionist to help with the cut, is such a mistake.
    I don't think he's cutting a huge amount. But not sure exactly. A few pounds if water weight is pretty straight forward. The guys in his camp will be way more familar with it than a nutritionist not involved with the sport. It's dehydration rather than weight/fat loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Tssk wrote: »
    Quite surprised that he hasn't ruled out Cult Of Personality as a walkout song,thought he would want a clean break. Though he says he's had an association with it since '89 in one form or another.

I reckon he'll use it, especially after the end of the last episode of EoP.

I think Gall is gonna KO him in the first round. At least he can say he tried it then.

Tssk wrote: »

Again I say, he might want a "clean break" but UFC don't; it's on the back of his WWE fame he's getting this chance, so if Dana wants him walking out in wrestling trunks and his wrists taped with a replica WWE title, that's what he'll be walking out to :P CoP was used to end the documentary things for a very obvious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Garseys wrote: »
    I reckon he'll use it, especially after the end of the last episode of EoP.

I think Gall is gonna KO him in the first round. At least he can say he tried it then.

highly unlikely, galls hands arent great atal. said in the fight thread over in the mma forum this is a very winnable fight for punk, galls only victories in pro fights are against a nobody who was making his pro debut aswel and a journalist who trains a bit of boxing. he has an advantage inexperience but its not as great as some people would lead yo to believe. I could easily be wrong here but with the guts of two years training as a full time pro with one of the top coaching setups in the sport is no joke, I think he has a very good chance of surprising a lot of people here!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think he's cutting a huge amount. But not sure exactly. A few pounds if water weight is pretty straight forward. The guys in his camp will be way more familar with it than a nutritionist not involved with the sport. It's dehydration rather than weight/fat loss.

Id say he's working us to be honest, he will be well prepared as he can for Saturdays fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what was his real wrestling weight? about 205?
    that would mean a loss of 30lb to make the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

what was his real wrestling weight? about 205?
    that would mean a loss of 30lb to make the weight.

I'd say he was under 200lb. He got very lean the last couple of years he was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I don't know anything about Punk from his wrestling days, but I've gone from hoping he lost his UFC debut badly when it was all first announced to rooting for him now. I've been very impressed with his interviews (for example, the one with Ariel posted above) but I wonder is it more that he knows how to play the game from that point of view as opposed to him being a genuinely decent guy.

What's the general consensus from wrestling fans?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Paully D wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Punk from his wrestling days, but I've gone from hoping he lost his UFC debut badly when it was all first announced to rooting for him now. I've been very impressed with his interviews (for example, the one with Ariel posted above) but I wonder is it more that he knows how to play the game from that point of view as opposed to him being a genuinely decent guy.

What's the general consensus from wrestling fans?

For me he conducts himself very differently in official UFC interviews etc and talks a lot more in mantras etc and seems less arrogant / moany than most wrestling fans may think of him from his past in PW and PW related interviews / podcasts.

He is quite a polarizing figure and it is not neccesarily because of what he said (his explosive post WWE podcast which lead to a law suit with the WWEs medical team for 1) but more how he has said it / acted in the past. Some love him some hate him. Some want him to get put in his place, some would love if he pulled out the shock underdog win and pissed off the anti-WWE element among some UFC fans.

personally (and not because im a massive Punk mark or anything) i'd just ;ole to see a competitive match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

He's a gent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He's a gent.

He does seem like a really nice guy. There's a really nice segment below from 7:55-11:30 where he hangs out with a kid from Make-A-Wish.

Advertisement