Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blaupunkt car radio question

Options
  • 29-04-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me.

I have an old Passat (2000) with a perfectly good Blaupunkt radio/cassette. Only problem is that the backlight on the display is gone and you can't see what station you are on. Particularly invisible in the dark.

It is one of those car radios with a detachable front panel. I took it off, and even took it apart, to see if there's some bulb that can be replaced but it wasn't obvious to me.

Is it possible to purchase a replacement front panel for this? And anyone know where and roughly for how much? Ebay is yielding a complete blank.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me.

I have an old Passat (2000) with a perfectly good Blaupunkt radio/cassette. Only problem is that the backlight on the display is gone and you can't see what station you are on. Particularly invisible in the dark.

It is one of those car radios with a detachable front panel. I took it off, and even took it apart, to see if there's some bulb that can be replaced but it wasn't obvious to me.

Is it possible to purchase a replacement front panel for this? And anyone know where and roughly for how much? Ebay is yielding a complete blank.

Thanks in advance.
    The bulbs in these radios go black over time and that is what makes the display go dim. It effects all blaupunkt radios from that era and the bulbs will difficult to source as will a new front faceplate. The bulbs if got will have to be solderd in which can be slightly fiddly.

Tbh it will be more trouble than it's worth to source the bulbs and fit them. You would be much better off buying a new more up to date radio as they can be gotten for not too much money these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Tbh it will be more trouble than it's worth to source the bulbs and fit them. You would be much better off buying a new more up to date radio as they can be gotten for not too much money these days.

Not what I wanted to hear but thanks anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

What is the model of your stereo. It will be written on the front face. If bulbs are needed I have dozens of them as I use them on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

What is the model of your stereo. It will be written on the front face. If bulbs are needed I have dozens of them as I use them on a daily basis.
    my guess is it's something like this.

stlouis_dj.jpg

Advertisement