Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car idles low after battery was replaced

• 26-04-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if changing a car battery effects the idle speed? Its a modern enough car (06 swift).
    Battery needed to be replaced, did that and made sure the terminals were disconnected for as little time possible. Car is fine, but idle seems to be very low now. Thought it was going to cut out at lights.
    Any if the battery disconnected caused this, and how do I adjust it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

That's happened me too. It sorted itself out after a day or two. i don't know what the cause is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Possibly the ECU recalibrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cheers, I'll leave it a few days and see how it goes. Ah, back in the old days you just turned a screw on the carbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Car's ecu is relearning the old stored values, should be normal after a quick drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭F1 fanatic

I have a similar problem with my pajero pinin GDI.

Have found info for this engine saying the ECU enters learn mode once the battery is replaced.

1. To teach the GDI engine you need warm the engine first.
    2. Then restart the car with no electrical equipment on. leave the engine running for 10 mins. (during this time the engine revs will be hunting).
    3. Stop the engine for 15 seconds.
    4. restart the engine with as many electrical devices on as possible (wipers, lights, radio Air con etc.) and leave running for 10 mins.
    5. Repeat steps 3 & 4.

After this the engine stays in learn mode for 800km

The swift might have some similar learn mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cheers, sorted. You're right, car is fine after a longer drive.

Advertisement