Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do I bleed a clutch?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hey guys looking to bleed the clutch on a 1.4 vw golf as i just changed the slave cylinder. is it a job i can do myself? any help would be great:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

It's a two man job. Press in clutch, open and close the nipple and then release the clutch is the general idea. Repeat a few times. This works but I think a pressure bleeder would have done a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Open the cap and nipple and let gravity pull it through.
    Don't forget to open the door to let the clutch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Do not use the clutch pedal, it is not 100% accurate. Get it pressure bled. It is the right way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

where could i get that done? bare in mind the car is undriveable lol:D

• Advertisement

Thanks lads:D so i changed the slave cylinder as it was leaking from there. i tried to bleed it today as described on this thread but nothings happening still holding to the floor. would this mean the clutch is fecked?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

No it could mean an airlock, Fluid leaking somewhere else, etc. Most claim I get on "faulty" clutchs are ont he pedal being on the floor. The advise I am always given is check the hydraulics first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

try open the bleed screw till it flows out close it pump the pedal open in repeat a lot of times it will work takes time but will save you driving with no clutch and money

Thanks lads for the great advice. i will try it again tomorrow. but knowing my luck the fecking clutch is gone i don't think it would ever bee so easy for me that it was just the slave gone. that's what i was doing today open then close then pumping pedal but no joy.:(

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Thanks lads for the great advice. i will try it again tomorrow. but knowing my luck the fecking clutch is gone i don't think it would ever bee so easy for me that it was just the slave gone. that's what i was doing today open then pumping pedal but no joy.:(
    did you have screw closed while you were pumping otherwise you be sucking in air

• Advertisement

Yea sorry i did indeed have it closed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

A cheep bleed kit should only cost between 10 and 20 euro. Worth the investment and easy to use.

so i tried it again it was a big improvement its not going straight to the floor now it appears to be very hard to push down . still no hope of being able to change the gears though. i am beginning to think its sum-thing more serious:(

so i tried it again it was a big improvement its not going straight to the floor now it appears to be very hard to push down . still no hope of being able to change the gears though. i am beginning to think its sum-thing more serious:(
    keep going it takes a long time

really?:D is it simply a matter of push clutch down open and allow it to leak out the close nipple and then start pumping clutch pedal? that's what i have been doing and there is a noticeable change but how many times should i be doing this? and what exactly is the reason for doing this? i no its to bleed it but why?:D is it normal when bleeding it to go from it being stuck to the floor to it being tough to push down?

I would have though if it was tough to push down your clutch should be working. is it coming back up by itself. is it losing any fluid

no mate its not loseing any fluid. it was before i changed the cylinder but thankfully not now.
    no its not its only going as far as i push it and then when i stop pushing there it will just hold in that position.:o

if your clutch was giving trouble before the cylinder was leaking there is probably something wrong with your clutch

thanks mate but it was fine the clutch itself. so i dont no it must be fecked. thanks for your help though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭harg90

if you let the fluid drip while you were changing the slave, its possible you let the master drip dry.

and some of the vw's are a pure tramp to get a pedal on,

my best advice to you at this stage is go into halfords with 25e and buy a gunson eezybleed kit.

its straight forward to use and will cure any airlock in the master.

and the reason you need to bleed the air out of the system is because air complesses, brake fluid doesnt.

if theres air in the system it will leave you pedal spongy or non existant.

what model golf isit?

• Advertisement

hey mate its a Petrol: 1.4 litre (1390cc). thanks for that advice mate i more then likely did. its just weird in the fact that it went straight to the floor and now its geting it hard to go down. i will get that kit and see how i fare out i am not holding much hope though:(.. how much would a new clutch set me back?:((

hey mate its a Petrol: 1.4 litre (1390cc). thanks for that advice mate i more then likely did. its just weird in the fact that it went straight to the floor and now its geting it hard to go down. i will get that kit and see how i fare out i am not holding much hope though:(.. how much would a new clutch set me back?:((

what model isit though? mk3 or mk 4? what year is it?

is the the pedal going down atal when the bleeder is open?

probably 200-250 to buy

johnnydeep wrote: »
    probably 200-250 to buy

you kno the price of the clutch without knowing the model? :O

Sorry mate its an mk4 02. yea like if i really push down on the clutch it will go to the floor like i can push down on the clutch and when i let go it will hold in that position.where as before i changed the slave it would go straight for the floor. but i was out pumping it for a fair bit today and this has resulted in the clutch getting it hard to push down.

Cheers johnnydeep. that would not be too bad where would i pick one up? i would like to buy the parts myself and get a mechanic to fit. as much as i would love to try it would be out of my dept i think.

harg90 wrote: »
    you kno the price of the clutch without knowing the model? :O
    do you think iam wrong or do just enjoy posting ****e

Sorry mate its an mk4 02. yea like if i really push down on the clutch it will go to the floor like i can push down on the clutch and when i let go it will hold in that position.where as before i changed the slave it would go straight for the floor. but i was out pumping it for a fair bit today and this has resulted in the clutch getting it hard to push down.

Cheers johnnydeep. that would not be too bad where would i pick one up? i would like to buy the parts myself and get a mechanic to fit. as much as i would love to try it would be out of my dept i think.
    go to you local motor factors ring around don't be afraid to let them know if you got a cheaper price

sorry just to clear this up, with the bleeder OPEN its hard to push the pedal down? does any fluid come out?

tbh lad, your better off letting the garage suply and fit, but get a price of them first.

if you buy the clutch kit yourelf you will be charged retail + 23% vat.

but the mechanic can charge it out at retail + 13.5%vat as its going out through the workshop.

just ask for an estimated quote.

johnnydeep wrote: »
    do you think iam wrong or do just enjoy posting ****e

excuse me?

• Advertisement

ye lad its quite difficult for the pedal to push down but when it does a lot of the brake fluid comes out. oh right yea i forget about that thanks i will ring around but it still will be a mad price probaly not even worth it on an 02.

Advertisement