Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying an Ex Courtesy Car from Dealer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

GF has her 03 Astra in for repairs and service.

She was given a 06 Astra life 1.4 with 44k km's, it sounds very rough for the age and mileage of the car. Has made me definitely think twice about buying second hand never mind ex-rent or ex-courtesy cars.

So I think we'll start saving for a new car then. Not so bad will normally last a good 5+ years anyway. At least you know then how it has been driven and serviced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wait till July and buy the 1.3 diesel. €150 to tax for the year and only 16% VRT when buying the car. The lowering of the VRT saves you another €2,500 compared to the current price

If you buy the petrol, they should take your accountancy qualification away :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

zzantara wrote: »
    Rentals are generally considered to be cars that you see in Airports etc,rented mainly to tourists that tend to give them a harder time as they are in a strange country and trying to "do" the cliffs of Moher/Giants Cause Way/Ring of Kerry in three days with lots of bodies/luggage in the car???
    Courtesy Cars are cars that are used mainly by Irish poeple that needed a replacement car while theirs were off the road for repair for instance ?some Insurance companies include a car as part of their policy ,these cars are sometimes just driven as far as the drivers office and parked outside for the day,generally they are in much better condition than Rental Cars,I would always rate a Dublin car a better bet than a Monaghan Car,no offence intended but those Monaghan back roads can really give a car some stick!

Advice - Avoid buying ex-Courtesy Cars and Ex-rentals.

I worked in the rental car game for a while and these cars are hammered from the day they roll off the delivery truck.
    They are seen as fair game to be thrashed within a inch of their life............and trust me, i know - i've hammered shed loads. I remember the time we had to get 3 spankers new puntos to dublin airport from southside dublin.............up the m50, flat out, i'm talking FLAT OUT..........all 3 of us......its was 3am, no one around. Think i got 107mph outta mine till the rev limiter kicked in. My car started to develop smoke inside the cabin..............did i care.............NO. At the light, burning the tyres with the handbrake on.......did i care ....NO.

And this is the mentality of the 20 year old dont give a **** employee and car renter.

I've alos seen cars come of rental or from being a
    Courtesy Car as they call it rubbish, covered in vomit inside, maggots from fisherman being careless (the smell never ever leaves, NEVER), cig burns, wee wee stains, Cum stains on the seats, Soiled condoms in the ashtrays - the works - and no amount of valeting gets rid of all of this. Sorry.
    But its the mechanical state of the cars that puts me off them. They are serviced, sure, but hammered - and the life can be gone out of a car before its 6 months old. They quickly go from a nice tight new motor to a loose bag of ****e.

You have been warned - I'd never ever think of buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

rubbish, covered in vomit inside, maggots from fisherman being careless (the smell never ever leaves, NEVER), cig burns, wee wee stains, Cum stains on the seats, Soiled condoms in the ashtrays

No sh!t?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Still working on a budget here!

No rentals and courtesy cars are out of the question as of now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

A mate of mine used to work for one of the major hire companies at Shannon airport and he said that at any one time 1/6 of the fleet were off the road being repaired..... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

TychoCaine wrote: »
    A mate of mine used to work for one of the major hire companies at Shannon airport and he said that at any one time 1/6 of the fleet were off the road being repaired..... :eek:

No Sh*t Unkel.............you would not belive the **** that goes on in rentals. and the things we found left behind in em..........good expensive **** like ~Camera's, umbrella's, nice things etc, and rubbish too, and ooooooohhhh, yeah - one of the young cleaners found a big BIG MOMMA smelly VIBRATOR under a seat.......he was just 15 working on a saturday morning and he thought it was a kids toy! ahhhh, the craic and the laffs. Could write a book. :eek: LOL

And Tycho, your mate's not wrong. The fact is rentals get banged and whalloped all over the place by clients. from small dents to write offs. I worked for one of the countries largest offenders, sorry companies and they would use certain cheap and nasty repair panel beaters that i would'nt get my mountain bike sprayed with..........and the stories, ohhhhh, the stories.

And the clockin.............the clocking of the cars before they go for sale when they finally come off rental. Completely immoral i used to think and still do.

here's one punter story.............this guy arrives at the airport. A yank, lots of dosh. Says "i want a big car with a auto gearbox". We didnt have one, we were all out, it was peak season. so , we talked him in taking a manual mondeo - brand new - just a week old i remember - as i drove it the weekend before. Last thing he said to me leaving the compound was "what was the way to Killarney?" - so i sent him in the direction of the m50.

10 o clock that night i got a call from the AA saying they were towing in a car from ennis, co. clare as the clutch had burnt out and the driver insisted we got a new car to him immediately all the way to Ennis!

The big dumbass yank drove all the way to Ennis with his foot on the clutch and burnt it out. The AA guy said he never say anything like it! We did'nt send a car to ennis till the next day...............and we gave him a micra automatic..........LOL - just for BADNESS!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I know of one enterprising rental company that use a lot of opels and funnily enough a lot of their branches tend to be very close to opel dealers (sometimes just across the yard from the showroom).

Easy way to tell if a demo car was actually a rental model. Dealers tend to get higher spec and optional extras on their demos to show the model off to it's full potential as they're getting them cheap.
    Rental companies go for the bog standard basic model without any bells and whistles ! (And when they do get luxury models like saabs etc, I've heard of them being registered in the branch managers name rather than XYZ rentals or the garage name)

I always go by the old jokes "whats the fastest car in the world ? A rental car" and steer well clear of buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 scotia

I bought an ex-rental 05 yaris 2 years ago with 19000km on it, not an ounce of bother with it and it's just turned over the 100,000km.
    I can believe all the stories with reving the nuts of these cars as i used to do it when i was in the trade,young and stupid i suppose.
    going by my experience i would have no bother in buying an ex rental again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

furtzy wrote: »
    Wasn't there an offer from Opel to get a weekend long drive test drive in the Astra. These were hire cars that the garage would simple hire out for the test drives. Could be the sale of these as there seems to be a lot of 07 reg Astra's for sale in opel dealers at the moment.

The Opel test drive cars were supplied by Enterprise rather than the opel dealers.
    I know this because I had one for a bank holiday weekend and when stopped at a checkpoint the garda informed me that there was no roadtax on the car (never even thought of checking it myself). I explained to him the situation and he told me not to drive it again. When I rang the garage on the tuesday to get them to collect it the sales guy explained that enterprise supplied the cars for the "opel 3 day test drive" promotion and he would get onto them to collect it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Auto Consulting

Generally it would be advisable to steer clear of manual transmission ex rentals due to the fact that some tourists are not used to driving manual cars and can damage them as a result, generally the clutch. It is also common for ex rentals to have badly damaged alloys for some reason, people just don't look after rented cars as well as they look after their own. When a garage takes back a fleet of ex rentals there is always a large bill for repairs. However, if you find a good one you can get a very good deal.

Advertisement