Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New electronic barrier free toll plaza rip off.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

404 - Page not found
    Relink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Its already been talked about on another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Thats such a disgrace. We really do get screwed with all these ridiculous taxes .. but at the end of the day we're the ones bending over so they'll just keep coming up with new ways of screwing us over again and again.

The way they are planning to implement the barrier free tolling is absolutely ridiculous and discriminatory. ...

And whats with foreign reg'd cars not having to pay (or being "unable" rather) ... another great incentive to all the polskis, lithuanians, romanians etc out there not to VRT their cars.

Its so crazy, expensive and overly complex - why cant they just go with 2c fuel levy instead :confused: Its simpler and more logical solution (although we already have ridiculous tax rates as it is, so this would be the lesser of 2 evils)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Thats such a disgrace. We really do get screwed with all these ridiculous taxes ..
    You will not just be screwed, when this system is fully implimented your movements could be pinpointed right across the city. This electronic tag is RFID (radio) based and can be picked up with any compatible scanner from a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,118 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How will this work?

Is it anyone using the M50 at all, or driving through specific parts of it? Ie; I do not go throught he toll booth at the moment, so will the change effect me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

And whats with foreign reg'd cars not having to pay (or being "unable" rather) ... another great incentive to all the polskis, lithuanians, romanians etc out there not to VRT their cars.

Well .. most of them don't toll you.. so i don't see why we should toll them.

With the exception of France with their Tolls and Austria with their special foreigner tax of course.

I quite like driving on the Autobahn and not having to pay another tax thanks very much :)

You will not just be screwed, when this system is fully implimented your movements could be pinpointed right across the city. This electronic tag is RFID (radio) based and can be picked up with any compatible scanner from a distance.

Well F**K that.

I only use the M50 to get from Blanchardstown to Dun Laghoire .. If thats the case they can pi$$ of with their tolls and i'll by pass it through Lucan.

Sure, its an Extra distance to travel but the toll money can go into my pterol tank instead to cover the extra few miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

C_Breeze wrote: »
    If thats the case they can pi$$ of with their tolls and i'll by pass it through Lucan.
    I've been living a few miles from the westlink for 8 years now, and for 8 years I have successfully avoided it!

Not opposed to toll roads in principle (like the M6 Toll and the Severn Bridge in the UK), but am opposed to tolling vital pieces of national infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

And drivers who refuse to pay toll fees face fines of at least €40 -- and the possibility of being brought to court.
    Are they really gonna clog up court time with unpaid toll fees? If they cant sort out 500,000 driving tests, how are they gonna take 1m odd people to court without going into meltdown??

This has train wreck written all over it tbh.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    I've been living a few miles from the westlink for 8 years now, and for 8 years I have successfully avoided it!

Not opposed to toll roads in principle (like the M6 Toll and the Severn Bridge in the UK), but am opposed to tolling vital pieces of national infrastructure.

Thats it - From now on i'm doing the same. I vow not to use the toll bridge again.

I use it approximately 4 days a week out of 7 - thats €16 toll fee

the extra milage from my house to Dun Laghoire going through Lucan as opposed through the Toll is roughly an extra 3 to 4 miles.

So according to my calculations thats an extra 25 - 30miles a week .

... €16 will get me approximately 13liters of petrol which in my car will get me about 60 miles.

GOODBYE WESTLINK TOLL BRIDGE!

Advertisement