Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst road in Dublin?

Options
  • 12-12-2007 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

In your opinion what do you think the worst road in Dublin is?
    I'm not talking about traffic congestion but general road worthiness.

Personally I think it has to be the road that starts near Cappagh hospital and runs alongside finglas, heading towards cabra. I don't know the name of it!
    Not only are there potholes all over the place, there's a very bad drainage issue with it in parts and I nearly killed myself on it two weeks ago, hitting black ice. Only 100m down the road after my near accident I actually came across a nasty enough accident. Why these issues aren't addressed, I'll never know ! Perhaps the C02 emmision from the machinary that'll be used to address the issue is too much?

Any other contenders?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

M50 Northbound?

Too many bad roads to mention for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Shakenbake,

It's the Ballycoolin road that comes on to join the Ratoath Road. They are pretty bad. The River Road that comes off the Ratoath Road towards Ashtown is pretty dire too. Far too narrow for the amount of cars that rip down it at speed....and for the cyclist who had no lights cycling on it this morning (I'm a cyclcist for over 10 years, moreso than a driver and I think anyone who cycles that road is either brave or stupid, let alone cycling it at 7:30am in the dark, wearing black clothing with no lights)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The road coming from Blanchardstown to Kilshane Cross I think its called Kilsahne Road. Its full of potholes and all different size trucks use it aswell as cyclists(Which I did for a long time).

Its a nightmare in the mornings and evenings during the week and the road is an awfull state. Cant remember how many punctures I picked up there on my bike. In the car I have been much luckier so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The East Wall Road in Dublin is unbelievable, I have never come accross anything as bad, even in the West of Ireland.

The best roads are those smooth roads in Cork with the climbing lanes. Saves lives, you know there is going to be a climbing lanes soon, so people are not going to risk overtaking until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

The right hand lane outbound just after Hueston Station. I dont know what they have done with the surface but its a real bone shaker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Richmond Road, Dublin 3

Runs between Ballybough (locals claims Fairview ;)) and Drumcondra.
    It's narrow, it weaves and you'll mount a kerb no problem if you are not careful.

It's a bit of a rat run tbh though lots of new apartments going there.
    Danagerous for cyclists as it's difficult to overtake and people get impatient and try danagerous stuff.
    Did I mention no clear footpath for pedestrians too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Grange Road and Taylors Lane in Rathfarnham. They have abandoned the road works there for weeks now and it's like an off road test track. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Upper Mount street!
    Been like that for years.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pottery Road, near Deansgrange. Ridiculously narrow in spots, plenty of potholes, a completely blind bend on it at one of the narrow points, parts are prone to turn into large ponds when it rains and the surface resembles a patchwork quilt from all the times it's been dug up over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I dont want to start, I think all the roads are bad and irish are known for bad road planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Oh how I wish we had your roads down here in Cork, so does my car..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cantdecide wrote: »
    Oh how I wish we had your roads down here in Cork, so does my car..

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

micmclo wrote: »
    There is a clear footpath all the way down that road from Meaghers to The corner of the Grace Park road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Airton Road, AKA "South Dublin Suspension Proving Grounds". Was decent enough until the recent "roadworks", the resurfacing was done so badly its potholed along nearly the entire length of the road surface join already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

definately the richmond road from ballybough, its one of the narrowist roads you'll find with 2 way traffic, then to top that off its full of lorries from the wholesalers down there.,
    i hit a pot hole near where the paneling centre used to be on a motorbike and it was so deap the front wheel got stuck and the handle bars nearly crushed my ribs. then about 2years ago a friend of mine was driving down there and lost control hitting a huge pillar outside richmond builders,.
    there was also a time when i was walking to a football match in tolka park and a passing car whacked me on the elbo, i already had a broken arm at the time so was in plaster luckily, just shows you how close the cars come to the people on the path.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 derryman

Dyflin wrote: »
    Grange Road and Taylors Lane in Rathfarnham. They have abandoned the road works there for weeks now and it's like an off road test track. :mad:

See - SUVs "are" needed in Rathfarnham - to hell with the green tree huggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The road approaching Howth, it's like Bazra :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

micmclo wrote: »
    Richmond Road, Dublin 3

Runs between Ballybough (locals claims Fairview ;)) and Drumcondra.
    It's narrow, it weaves and you'll mount a kerb no problem if you are not careful.

It's a bit of a rat run tbh though lots of new apartments going there.
    Danagerous for cyclists as it's difficult to overtake and people get impatient and try danagerous stuff.

Pfft!! Richmond road is grand!! to be fair its a bit of a art to it, but once your used to it, it becomes second nature to ya.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

pigeon house road along side the east link toll bridge , regular pile ups with the road being undriveable.... , 3-8 pm is completely blocked heading towards the sean Moore round-a-bout... and the drivers complain , let alone the residents.

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Pfft!! Richmond road is grand!! to be fair its a bit of a art to it, but once your used to it, it becomes second nature to ya.

-VB-

thats the trouble though, you might be grand but what about that 1st provisional driver comming towards you who's only been driving since last week., :Dlol, i hate that road.,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

vtec wrote: »
    thats the trouble though, you might be grand but what about that 1st provisional driver comming towards you who's only been driving since last week., :Dlol, i hate that road.,

Well be swapping paint!! To be fair most new drivers would'nt venture down that road if they knew what the road was like.

-VB-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Grange road rathfarnham and airton road Tallaght the Grange road is the worst i never seen such a site in my life its not secured from the public and there are 20 inch falls in the public domain ( Claim City) I thought there were laws in relation to segregation of work zones and public access ways..

its still packed every day though, i live near there and hate going down it, especially around 4ish when ya have all the trucks from richmond builders and laydens aswell,
    the drumcondra end is barely wide enough for 2 way traffic.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

By far the worst roads in Dublin are located in the straberry beds. I know most the other roads that are mentioned are bad but the far worst road in Dublin is Rugged Lane it runs off luttrelstown road to lower road its very very narrow and if you meet another car on it one of you will have to reverse to find a gateway to let them pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Two weeks ago i was on the Red Cow Roundabout for the firt time in about a year.....in the rain.....F.U.C.K ME!!!!!! its sooooooooooo bad.
    Its like a poxy Funderland ride.....Up and Down....Round and Round
    All the W.a.n.k.e.r A.r.s.e.d beggers.....washing your windscreen!!!!! WTF????
    How in the name of Bollixxxx do people do that every day????

excuse my language ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'll have to chime in with Richmond Rd too...

It took me a long time driving to gather up the nerve to drive that road, even as a pedestrian walking down it I had a few near misses on it. Absolutely stupid road.

I used to go down Griffith avenue and then turn out where Barcode is any time I needed to go to Clontarf.

Luckily I got the "art" down and don't find it that bad anymore but in general the road's a mess...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

For me...
    Bad roads: any road with traffic
    Good roads: any road without traffic.

I moved to cork for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Redrocket wrote: »
    For me...
    Bad roads: any road with traffic
    Good roads: any road without traffic.

I moved to cork for a reason

Man, are you nuts, have you been on the Kinsale, Wilton and Bandon Road roundabouts in rush hour traffic, they worse than the red cow :D Especially the Bandon road one ... its NUTS... why oh why did they put traffic lights on it!! People automatically think they have right of way when the lights go green for them and no longer treat it as a roundabout !

Advertisement