Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Vegas

• 03-08-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭

Haven never flown transatlantic I'm looking for information..

Who's the best airline comfort and entertainment wise??

Also is a direct flights from London the better option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Moved from Aviation and Aircraft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Personally I'd prefer to connect in the US so you can pre clear immigration and customs in Dublin/Shannon, US airports tend to be easier to connect in than London IMO.

I usually fly Delta for frequent flyer/airline alliance reasons though have flown American in the past and found them to be ok too.

The time of year can make a difference, some airlines fly smaller single aisle planes outside of peak season, I would look for an airline that is flying a wider bodied aircraft when you plan to travel, with two aisles if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

Been a plane hobbiest defo going widebody! The bigger the better!!! . Smaller planes must be torture travelling for that length of time..

I've heard American airlines wouldn't be great ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

jackstaff wrote: »
    Been a plane hobbiest defo going widebody! The bigger the better!!! . Smaller planes must be torture travelling for that length of time..

I've heard American airlines wouldn't be great ??

Avoid United. They send only 757s(narrowbody) transatlantic from Dublin.
    Delta send only widebodies(767s), and 90% of the planes American sends (Normally 767s and A330s, occasionaly they send 757s) are widebodies too. Aer Lingus send the a330 (widebody) and the 757 transatlantic (the 757 goes to YYZ always and JFK occasionaly), while the A330 is everywhere else.

If you want to take the Canadian carriers into the question, then Air Canada Rouge send the 767(Widebody) and Air Transat send the A310(Also widebody)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

The most direct way would be to go via London. That way you get into Vegas at approx 3pm local time.
    If you go from Dub via Atlanta/Newark/Philly you don't get in until maybe 7pm local time.
    Advantage of going through Dublin is you can do security clearence. But you have a 7hr flight, few hours stop over and another 5hr flight.
    From London you will have an 11hr direct flight but I don't think you can do security clearence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Roger McAllen

I would recommend Delta, been flying with them for years. The transatlantic part (to JFK or ATL) is usually a 767 or A330. Both comfortable enough in economy. Staff on the plane are really nice, good meal services, in flight entertainment, etc. Never had any trouble with lost baggage or cancelled/delayed flights.

So delta or BA from London is best ?.

Handy to no about the 3pm arrival..

Been looking but is there any cheap secrets when booking

What this security clearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

BA do the early flight from Gatwick, you arrive into Vegas around 2.30pm local time. It's a Boeing 777-200.

The later flight from LHR is a 747 (the oldest in the BA fleet always for the LAS flight) but it won't get you into Vegas before 8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What this security clearance

Immigration, make sure to have your ESTA done, you'll have your prints and photo taken once you arrive into LAS if you're not pre-clearing in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Virgin fly from Gatwick at 11am ish direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Skyscanner is great. I'd fly to us and connect there. I connected via San Fran in March, Atlanta, JFK r Chicago better though as breaks travel time up better, 11hr to San Fran was tough going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Last time I flew it was with Virgin, out via Gatwick, home via Manchester

From the UK to here with Aer Lingus.

Virgin is a great airline to fly with in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Dodge wrote: »
    Last time I flew it was with Virgin, out via Gatwick, home via Manchester

From the UK to here with Aer Lingus.

Virgin is a great airline to fly with in my experience

+1 I would agree with Virgin.
    Have flown to Vegas a number of times with US based airlines and they are rubbish.
    Aer Lingus again is a very basic experience where as Virgin will be an enjoyable experience. You will pay a little more but worth it, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Yep - I went three years ago, Dublin to London, London to Vegas. Aer Lingus and Virgin.
    Just get your ESTA in advance and you'll have no problems with emigration.

Also the 10/11 hour flight isn't too bad with Virgin.
    It flies in. (No pun intended)

+1 I would agree with Virgin.
    Have flown to Vegas a number of times with US based airlines and they are rubbish.
    Aer Lingus again is a very basic experience where as Virgin will be an enjoyable experience. You will pay a little more but worth it, trust me.

How would virgin be a better flight.. is it just comfort ie. Sitting arrangements
    Virgin is costing 2k for flights for 2 people 5nights in july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

How would virgin be a better flight.. is it just comfort ie. Sitting arrangements
    Virgin is costing 2k for flights for 2 people 5nights in july

Their food is great and plentiful. The planes are comfortable. And their entertainment units were unreal in comparison to other airlines. Now it's a few years since I flew with them so maybe other airlines have caught up, but their service was class back then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'm going via London at the end of Aug with BA. There are loads of options but getting into Vegas at 1.30pm and departing at 9.45pm basically gives two extra days there. That's a big bonus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Which July? It is always going to be expensive in the middle of the summer. Plus It will be HOT in Vegas in July, it won't be going below 100oF most days and the humidity at night is a killer as well.

You have to decide if you want to get there quickly or cheaply.

Aer Lingus to Gatwick & Manchester(not ryanair as they do not operate interline and you will have to collect bags and re check in and pay for bags)

Virgin from Gatwick & Manchester
    British Airways from Gatwick

Clear immigration in Vegas which can be done in 30 minutes or 3 hours.

The Virgin flights take off around the same time, but the Gatwick flight being that little bit earlier. If there is a delay, you could have 400 others in front of you trying to clear immigration. BUT, you are into Vegas at 3pm! So you have the best part of a day there.

Flights from Dublin:

Aer Lingus/United/Delta/American - All fly to 1 point and connect to Vegas. The United flight to Newark gets in at 11am, getting a quick connection will have you in Vegas by late afternoon.

You could also opt for Air Canada Rouge through Toronto, or WestJet.

Finally, Ethiopian to LA. Then its an hours flight to Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I wouldn't even look at booking for a few more months, if not some time early next year. Many airlines will not have bookings available yet and the few ones currently available are over €1000 each. Typically many flights don't become available until around 9 months beforehand: varies from airline to airline. I would be very confident that you could book flights from around €550+ in a few months time. (You could get that price for a flight a mere 6 weeks from now)

• Advertisement

Expedia can fly 2 to Vegas end of June stay in mgm for 5 nights for 1500... Flights and all over the place but

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Expedia can fly 2 to Vegas end of June stay in mgm for 5 nights for 1500... Flights and all over the place but

Expedia are not an airline. best off always booking with airline's website rather than a 3rd party agency.

Those packages can make sense, you need to price flights and hotel accommodation up on tripadvisor separately. E550-600 would be typical for return flights at that time of year... I wouldn't be booking anything now though, leave it another few months IMO...

Expedia are not an airline. best off always booking with airline's website rather than a 3rd party agency.

I'm aware there just an agency alright..
    Virgin want 2k for flights alone
    I'm gonna leave it for few months see if anything drops

I'm aware there just an agency alright..
    Virgin want 2k for flights alone
    I'm gonna leave it for few months see if anything drops

depends on what the money means to you. I would personally definitely spend that money on the hotel, which you will have access to 24/7 while you are there, rather than on a few hour flight. I have flown to vegas with them before via Gatwick. If you fly with AerLingus now and connect in the states, I believe all of their planes have wifi, it takes away the importance of in flight entertainment a bit IMO. The only thing they didnt have, was free alcohol anymore, which I believe the Us carriers do. What would matter far more than the plane to me is 1) price 2) total travel duration, when you arrive and leave vegas etc. I have been to vegas a lot of times. Was last in March, if you need any information or have any queries, let me know...

Skyscanner is a blessing, you can put in max budget, the hours you want the leave flight to leave and arrive in, total travel time i.e. the max you will accept etc. Its fantastic. Personally I go for flights that leave about 11am or so from Dublin, avoids being up at outrageous hours and you still get into vegas at a reasonable time, if the connection time is good...

So conor McGregor is fighting December 12th inVegas ! Who got the best package to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dozy11

flight home from vegas to uk is awful - 5 hours wait to fly to dublin that evening

hence we are doing dub - jfk - las return

Advertisement