Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1/2 price fish 'n chips tomorrow 27th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's dinner sorted tomorrow so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Sweet and tomorrow's my birthday too! Nice one OP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will likely spend more time in the queue than you'd earn enough to pay for the discount on the minimum wage, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭applejunkie

That's tomorrows dinner sorted then. Thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

L1011 wrote: »
    You will likely spend more time in the queue than you'd earn enough to pay for the discount on the minimum wage, though.

Probably earned more in the time it took you to write that post :p

Between this and the half price Marvin offer over the last few days, in pretty much a fat bastard this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Would be interested to know how the politics behind the ITICA works.

There's some heavy hitters signed up - Aprile, Borza, Macari/Romayo, Marsella etc. but lots of other Italian-Irish chipper families don't seem to be involved like :

- Cafolla
    - Forte (Cork St. etc.)
    - Fusciardi (Marlborough Street etc.)
    - Fusco (Meath St. etc.)
    - Sorrento (Arbour Hill etc.)
    - Silvio (Templeogue, Nutgrove etc.)

Their Chipper Directory lists some Aprile's but the one in Portobello isn't signed up and some Roma's but the one on Cork St. don't seem to have signed up either.

http://www.itica.ie/chipper_directory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Nollog

On the way home I spotted the poster in the window of Sorento in Cobh.

I don't like fish much but I'll give it a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

1968 wrote: »
    Would be interested to know how the politics behind the ITICA works

Politics schmolitics.

Just show me the food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

dodzy wrote: »
    Politics schmolitics.

Just show me the food.

Well, I'm now interested in that side of things precisely because my two nearest rish-Italian choppers haven't signed up to this day/org. leaving me hungry and annoyed. :)

Would be interested to know the reasons why them and loads of others haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

Well, I'm now interested in that side of things precisely because my two nearest rish-Italian choppers haven't signed up to this day/org. leaving me hungry and annoyed. :)

My local chipper wasn't doing it the first year it was on but I asked them if they'd do it to save me going somewhere else & they did.
    You could try that & ask them then about why they didn't join.

I haven't bothered with it since the first year it was on as the queues were mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Same reason loads of companies don't sign up to trade associations and the like. A combination of politics, people and not wanting to pay affiliation fees I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I'd rather pay full price any other day than queue up for an hour. I'm not that hard up

I'd rather pay full price any other day than queue up for an hour. I'm not that hard up

Baa Humbug:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jesus did anybody ever have to que up for an hour!
    The chippers out my way are well prepared for this day and over the last few years you have been in and out in 15 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Says over 200 hundred members in the blurb but the directory has less than 150 listed unfortunately my local seem to have been delisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Got this in Embassey in Ballsbridge, no queue at all

Thanks for the reminder OP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Regardless of the price, it's probably the only day of the year you can guarantee your fish and chips are freshly cooked seconds before you walk out of the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Anyone know if this is definitely available in all the chippers listed on their site?

(Would be a travesty to go and find out I had to pay full price :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Marcos Liffey St Dublin also celebrate this day, its 5eur for fish and chips (not sure if its half price) https://goo.gl/maps/E3Jhp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

stdidit wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is definitely available in all the chippers listed on their site?

(Would be a travesty to go and find out I had to pay full price :) )

Ring in advance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

/\/ollog wrote: »
    On the way home I spotted the poster in the window of Sorento in Cobh.

I don't like fish much but I'll give it a shot.

the fish in there is not the best imo. The last time I chanced it the batter was heavy and the fish was soggy. The only place I get fish and chips is the Fish Wife on McCurtain street. It's about a tenner and well worth the money

Stuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its that time of the year again for Bargain Hunters :D

Fish & Chips Day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

dodzy wrote: »
    Stuffed.

Ditto :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Went into Teos in Cabra. Q was to the door at 430 but not as bad as later I'd imagine.
    Fresh cod and chips for 4.95.
    Super quality . nice thin and crispy batter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Silvios nutgrove are taking part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

kceire wrote: »
    The chippers out my way are well prepared for this day

The chippers here are too, by none of them being part of it. Closest one is about 40km away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Marcos Liffey St Dublin also celebrate this day, its 5eur for fish and chips (not sure if its half price) https://goo.gl/maps/E3Jhp

Really nice chipper, but they were closed at 6.30 when I went to try and get my fish and chips.

Firstly, their Facebook page said that from May 18th 2015 they would be open until 7pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Secondly, what sort of chipper is closed at 6.30? Even 7.30 seems ridiculously early.

Won't be going there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Picked up fished and chips in Cosy Take Away in Artane, some garlic mayo and coke to top it off. 8.30 in total.

Mighty stuff, massive piece of fish, all done lovely :D found myself a nice new chipper while at it too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Picked up 2 fresh cod and chips in Presto on St Lotts Rd for €9. Q of around 10 but they flew through it as they were well staffed and prepared for the day. Delicious:D

Advertisement