Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries & Blackberries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

TheTorment wrote: »
    If you live near a fruit farm (like me) you can usually pick up strawberries that don't make the "cut". They may be smaller or funny shaped but they are still tasty. I pick up a very large punnet down here for €5

Where is this? I bet they taste just as nice as the 'perfect' berries that make the cut !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭uli84

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Lidl & Aldi blueberries r pure ****e, (in fact I find most of their fruit to be poor.) They've been so long in transit from South America there's no goodness left in them. Stick um in your porridge & it stays white, no magnificent burst of purple yumminess. Stick the likes of Keelings blueberries for example in & you've a little bowl of magic. Well worth paying the extra few cent IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

trebormurf wrote: »
    Lidl & Aldi blueberries r pure ****e, (in fact I find most of their fruit to be poor.) They've been so long in transit from South America there's no goodness left in them. Stick um in your porridge & it stays white, no magnificent burst of purple yumminess. Stick the likes of Keelings blueberries for example in & you've a little bowl of magic. Well worth paying the extra few cent IMHO.

Agreed got keeling strawberries in dunnes 2 for 5 ( roughly half kg ), and got a 1 kg box of strawberries they had on offer as well ( I think they were from Spain) the difference is massive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

uli84 wrote: »
    Never gone to polostores, are their offers valid for 7 days?

Must get myself 2kg or Strawberries and Cherries.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

Even cheaper still : http://www.mrmiddleton.com/save-over-50-on-fruit-bushes/

€1.70 per bush is roughly the same price as a small packet of supermarket berries, look after them and you can enjoy free fruit every summer, plus you get full control over what goes into / onto your food (pesticides, fertiliser etc).

has anyone bought this and what fruit bushes did ye get? would be worth it if there was blueberry's and a good mixture but id prob end up with 15 blackberry bushes!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

I bought the raspberries in lidl yesterday and they are crap.. they are very bland and slightly chewy.. good strawberries though

koriko wrote: »
    Where is this? I bet they taste just as nice as the 'perfect' berries that make the cut !

Wexford, the home of strawberries! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

trebormurf wrote: »

Wow, my experience is always the complete opposite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

Blue berries like an acid soil. The easiest way to achieve this is to get acidic peat moss. Ask you local garden centre for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

There is nothing like the taste of fresh fruit off a bush. Mmmm roll on summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭uli84

Never gone to polostores, are their offers valid for 7 days?

Must get myself 2kg or Strawberries and Cherries.

Not that familiar with the shop but the strawberries have been at this price for ages now-i'd say offer will be on for another week at least. Strawberries are from Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

uli84 wrote: »
    Not that familiar with the shop but the strawberries have been at this price for ages now-i'd say offer will be on for another week at least. Strawberries are from Spain

I would rather have 1kg of Irish Strawberries than 2kg of the ones from Spain tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I bought the blueberries (never again) ; raspberries (never again) ; strawberries & blackberries <- both found quite nice. Melons & Pineapples looked okay, never bought though.
    Think I'll stay with my local Fruit & Veg shop for all in the future again where I know the standard and quality have never failed me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Keelings Farm shop in a trailer at the back of the airport FTW. All fresh!

Apple juice 750ml <3
    Big punnet of strawberries €5
    Premium punnet of strawberries €8

I go for the €5 box every time. They're the odd shaped ones that don't make the cut but taste the same as the premium box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Can't understand anyone buying blackberries, countryside if full of them and they're left to rot...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Eurospar 3 packs of any berries for €5....valid until 27/05

Apple juice 750ml <3

I go for the €5 box every time. They're the odd shaped ones that don't make the cut but taste the same as the premium box.

Which road at back of airport? Going to be out that way later!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Can't understand anyone buying blackberries, countryside if full of them and they're left to rot...
    in may? agree though shop bought ones are crap

• Advertisement

Which road at back of airport? Going to be out that way later!

It's on the swords side. Take a left after the coachmans pub if heading up from airport and it's about 5-10mins on the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

vicwatson wrote: »
    Wow, my experience is always the complete opposite

+1! I've had berries from Lidl and Keelings - both the same variety from the same place eg Spanish raspberries and no difference except the price!

It's on the swords side. Take a left after the coachmans pub if heading up from airport and it's about 5-10mins on the right hand side.

Thanks, came away with 5 kg of strawberries, yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Apple juice 750ml <3

Never knew they had a shop, do you have to drive into their farm or where is it located?
    tharmor wrote: »
    Eurospar 3 packs of any berries for €5....valid until 27/05

Are they 227g, 3 for €5 sounds like a great deal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Muahahaha wrote:
    Are they 227g, 3 for €5 sounds like a great deal

Strawberries 227 gm, raspberries 125 gm, blueberries 125 gm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

SuperS54 wrote: »

Blackberries in the countryside have a short lifespan .............about 2 weeks in September .

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Never knew they had a shop, do you have to drive into their farm or where is it located?

It's not really a shop. They have a lorry on the side of the road that you can walk into. I think it's called the Naul Road,where Keelings farms are alongside the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Blackberries in the countryside have a short lifespan .............about 2 weeks in September .

Must be a different countryside from the one I grew up in!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just out of interest what sort of yields do blueberry bushes tend to give and do they increase much as the bush gets older?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Even cheaper still : http://www.mrmiddleton.com/save-over-50-on-fruit-bushes/

€1.70 per bush is roughly the same price as a small packet of supermarket berries, look after them and you can enjoy free fruit every summer, plus you get full control over what goes into / onto your food (pesticides, fertiliser etc).

I'm after ordering this offer, will see what turns up but asked that gooseberries take prime spot if possible, already have 2 blackcurrant bushes growing well and a mix of apple and plumb trees so it will be nice to have more variety for the birds to pick at!

Advertisement