Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collage laptop

• 28-01-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Yo2yo.

I've been tasked by my little sister with picking her a new Laptop for the next 4 years of collage.
    She'll just be using it at the moment for word processing/internet/watching movies/music and playing a bit of the sims.

Next year she'll be using it for a bit of graphic design, I think Photoshop, Flash/Fireworks/Studio so I was hoping to get something with a bit of grunt.

I spotted this Acer Aspire 5920G for €512 on Laptopsdirect.ie.

The specs are pretty good for the price. T5750, 4gigs RAM, 250gig HDD, ATI 3470m.

Reviews seem pretty good. Anyone have any opinions on this model or Acer laptops in general, their customer support. Will the 3470m be upto the task for graphic design or will she need a bit more grunt?

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

If you want it to be good for 4 years you need to get a reasonably high spec, 4GB is the max for any 32 bit OS like Vista so at this stage that is perfectly adequate, if she is going to be storing a lot of movie and music files on the notebook you might want to look at a larger HDD or a decent external drive (also useful for backups)

For photoshop you want a fairly decent graphics card (nVidea for instance), 2GHz is a reasonable clock speed for the price.

If she wants enhanced performance for videos and images she should consider moving to Apple, these out-perform Microsoft OS and you can get mac compatible MS Office for her word processing

Check out the following online notebook selction assistant, it will give you an idea of the specs you should be looking for:

http://h30216.www3.hp.com/ASA/Controller?adi_hasScript=1&_AD_195R22=110&adi_scriptSID=F37A895E51367FAD67D808DE43454FBB&sysid=84&appid=10717&adi-loc=en_ie&_ad_stoken=iecons&jumpid=re_r2122_1-mrmid_ie_en_hho_psg//notebookspsc/advisor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Get a Dell Vostro imo.

They have them labelled as "Business" machines but anyone can buy them - way more value for money than the "personal" machines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Get her something with a good spellchecker - she'll need it for collage :rolleyes:

that acer in the OP looks grand. 3470 will be plenty for sim, and will even get in a little bit o' Crysis on lo-spec (quite playable I assure you) if she really wanted. No comment about acer as a company - no dealings with them in the past. Heard no great complaints though either.

Advertisement