Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP DV9510 Only shows grey screen on boot.

Options
  • 27-01-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I am trying to help my sister and her boyfriend with their laptop. It's a Hewlett Packard DV9510eo running Vista Home Edition.

Whenever we try too boot it up it only shows a greyish screen with what seems like two diagonal and two horizontal lines crossing eachother on the far right side.

We managed to get it to work yesterday at which point we did a bios-upgrade.

Everything seemed ok, until all of a sudden it rebooted and went back to the grey display. On boot no preboot hp logo is shown. Absolutely grey.

We tried to bleed out the battery over night so it would be nulled. But no improvement.

Adding to this is that it gets fairly hot. Could this be a case of damaged/overheated gpu?

Tried to hook up an external monitor but no go there either.

And the warranty seems to have expired. :(

Is the gpu replaceable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

probably not. laptop gpu's generally arent. i looked up that model and it doesnt seem likely.

i read somewhere some nvidia 8*** series chips were being recalled or something as they burn out easily. i could be wrong about that.

try removing and swapping the ram. or try one stick at a time.

check that the screen close switch isnt broken or stuck.

the fact that its the same with an external monitor os worrying.

can you remember what you did that got it working that one time?

could be something simple.

try removing the hdd to see if it changes the problem.

given that its affecting both internal and external displays its likely that it is your gpu.

you could remove the gpu heatsink and have a look around to see if theres any damage to the gpu or graphics ram.

you may end up needing a new motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

What i can recall to get it working the last time was more or less letting it run out of battery.

Removed and reinserted the HDD and also the BIOS-battery.

Just tried to swap the ram AND remove the HDD again.

No beeps or leds indicating the missing HDD.
    I cannot find the switch for the lid though.

Thanks a lot for the advices though. :)

dont mean to sound patronising, but have you tried it without the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

No worries about that. :)

And yes, tried w/o battery.

the switch could be incorporated into the hinges, or, if theres little clips on the lid that close into the bottom, it could be on them, or down in the holes they go into!

as you turn it on go mad with the lid or switch if you find it.

• Advertisement

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic29747.html

not very similar, but it might help.

Advertisement