Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Records

Options
  • 09-07-2015 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I can find ancestor baptism details on Genealogy.ie, however when I checked the microfilm in the NLI (and again now online) the images for these particular records are not available. The years involved are outside those listed by the NLI for the parish. So my question is, how did Genealogy.ie come by there records?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What's the parish?

Most of the records on irishgenealogy.ie were not compiled from the NLI registers but from the source records in individual parishes.
    They also go later - up to 1900, whereas most NLI ones finish at 1880

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Boscod

Hello Pinky.....the parish is Sandyford, Dublin.

Here's the reason I'm asking this:

My GG Grandfather was married there in 1829 (have image for this), however between 1825 and 1850 there are numerous other entries on Genealogy.ie, mostly baptisms, with the same surname and I'm trying to establish if they are related.

Some do relate to directly my GG Grandfather (and wife), but I suspect the parents of others could be siblings or cousins of my GG Grandfather.

One way to achieve this would be to check who the sponsors are for the baptisms, however that information is missing for most of the entries. I was hoping that when the images went online the date range might have expanded, however as you mentioned above they were sourced separately.

Any ideas if there's another way to move this forward.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Sandyford must have records in local custody that were not filmed - Ryan's only shows baptism and marriage records from 1856 for the parish, NLI index shows baptisms from 1823 and marriages from 1841, whereas the Irish Times Roots shows baptisms and marriage from 1823 - see here at LCP [? local custody] and DHG which links to Dublin City Library and Archive and IrishGenealogy. There are marriages and baptisms on the IrishGenealogy site for the parish starting around 1823, with a handful for earlier dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Boscod

I've checked with the parish office and the register for baptisms from 1823 to 1856 is missing from their archives. As some of the detail I require, but not all (sponsor names are missing), is on Irishgenealogy.ie it must have been in circulation at some stage in recent years.

One of the other locations for church records is Rootsireland.ie. However,before I take a subscription out for it, would anyone here, who already has access, be able to check the following examples to see if they exist there, and if so what detail is available. The data I require is sponsor names.

Parish - Sandyford Dublin
    Baptism 1 - 1827 - Bridget Clara Donnelly
    Baptism 2 - 1831 - Anne Donnelly

Thanks for any help.

as far as I can see RootsIreland dont have Sandyford RC listings

see : http://www.rootsireland.ie/ifhf/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources

p.s. RootsIreland and IrishGenealogy dont usually overlap coverage

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    ..NLI index shows baptisms from 1823 and marriages from 1841....

just spotted that I crossed the dates in that earlier post - the NLI index shows marriages from 1823, and Baptisms and Marriages from 1841.

Advertisement