Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best shop for basics?

Options
  • 27-05-2013 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

What's the best shop for basics ie tank tops, plain t-shirts etc?

H&M have a fantastic selection but the fabric is often see through.
    Penneys don't have the best fit, their tops are often too short for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Marks and Spencer used to be good for this but quality has gone way down in past year or two.
    H&M too see-thru and stretchy for me.
    Got a great plain white cotton t shirt in esprit last year but the prices are pretty steep for me!
    Do Penney's and New Look still do the organic cotton t shirts and vests? They were great, washed well too.
    I'm on the lookout for non-see through white vest tops at the moment, will be interested to see other people's opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

M&S have very good quality vests and t-shirts. They have loads of colours too. They're not too short either. I got a few tops with three quarter length sleeves there though that are very short but the vests are great. Not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

dee_mc wrote: »
    Marks and Spencer used to be good for this but quality has gone way down in past year or two.

Just saw this. I got loads of vests in M&S for my honeymoon last year and they've been washed weekly since then and they're still perfect. I find the quality great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just saw this. I got loads of vests in M&S for my honeymoon last year and they've been washed weekly since then and they're still perfect. I find the quality great.

I'd say the quality is still better than Dunnes, Penney's, H&M etc, but rewind 2 years and they were far better: I had M&S t shirts that lasted 4-5 years, washing weekly at 60 degrees, whereas the ones I've bought more recently and washed at 30-40 degrees might last a year at most before completely losing shape! In fairness, the ones made from synthetic fabrics (rather than cotton and polycotton) wash fine, but I can't wear them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Gap are good for basic t shirts and tops. Good quality that washes well and they normally have a good selection of colours and styles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

For plain tees, it has to be American Apparel! €20 so a bit steep, but they often have offers on for buying multiples. There's 3-packs on their site but you can't choose the colours. http://store.americanapparel.net/product/?productId=bb301

I have some brilliant string tops from Zara, perfect for under sheer shirts or even as vests on a cold day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Have you tried Forever 21?

I have gotten a number of plain tank tops in there over a year ago and they are still as good as new. They are around €5 for long ones and €3 for the shorter ones afaik.

Dorothy Perkins also do very good basic long sleeve basic tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I like savida in dunnes for long tank tops (like the ones that cover my bum) and pennies for normal tshirts.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'd say the quality is still better than Dunnes, Penney's, H&M etc, but rewind 2 years and they were far better: I had M&S t shirts that lasted 4-5 years, washing weekly at 60 degrees, whereas the ones I've bought more recently and washed at 30-40 degrees might last a year at most before completely losing shape! In fairness, the ones made from synthetic fabrics (rather than cotton and polycotton) wash fine, but I can't wear them :(

They are really short this year compared to previous years, which is a problem for me because they get pulled up quite a bit in front due to top-heaviness!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I find M&S the best for t-shirts & vests but agree that the quality is not as good as a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Vero Moda and Vila (if you can handle the annoying in your face staff in Vila, what's with that?!) are good for basics.

Also awear can do some basics of good quality but fairly cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I find New look great

Advertisement