Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job Interview Outfit

• 19-05-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I have an interview this week with a fashion retail store. Now, my first response would have been to wear something quite smart, like a nice blouse and trousers. However I've been doing my research into this brand and it seems they expect you to wear something more casual and trendy, something that represents the brand. I'm trying to get the balance right, as I want to impress in the interview by looking on trend, but don't want to be too casual either. I was thinking something along the lines of a pretty day dress teamed with biker boots to dress it down a little bit and make it a little more edgy. Something along the lines of this, but minus the jacket:

dbn-rachelbilson.jpg

I'm not too sure though, to be honest. My wardrobe is a bit lacking in both smart clothes and clothes that are on trend at the minute. I tend to be more of a jeans and nice top type girl, or else I wear a lot of day dresses. Any thoughts and opinions welcome as I'm fairly lost!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

When you say they expect you to wear something casual and trendy, where are you getting this from? They might expect you to wear that if you're working there, but I wouldn't in an interview. Tbh, the outfit below (while nice!) would look to me like you were in town for the day and dropped in for the interview in between shopping.

I'd go with trousers and smart shoes, and maybe a top patterned like the dresses below if you want to make it more edgy, with a plain blazer or cardigan. I wouldn't dress down on purpose for an interview ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

When you say they expect you to wear something casual and trendy, where are you getting this from? They might expect you to wear that if you're working there, but I wouldn't in an interview. Tbh, the outfit below (while nice!) would look to me like you were in town for the day and dropped in for the interview in between shopping.

I'd go with trousers and smart shoes, and maybe a top patterned like the dresses below if you want to make it more edgy, with a plain blazer or cardigan. I wouldn't dress down on purpose for an interview ever.

I actually heard it from a few places and was a bit surprised! The email I got confirming the interview said something along the lines of to dress in a way you feel represents the brand, and that they don't expect you to be formal. Did a little bit of googling to see if I could find any experiences from people who interviewed with them and a lot said similar, and that they expect you to be trendy and can even ask to describe what kind of trend you're wearing. Also asked a friend who currently works there who echoed the above. It's a group interview so I'm afraid of being too formal/casual in comparison to everyone else :o

I'd have honestly said the same myself before, I'd never ever dream of wearing something like that to an interview before but it seems that it's almost the expected thing in this case! I might just end up going with something like you suggested, trousers (possibly dark slim jeans if they're not expecting formal) along with a nice top and blazer, something like that. My mind is telling me to play it safe, but I'm also afraid of being too safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerrz

Do you mind me asking where this interview is for?
    Sounds like it could be River Island...sounds a lot like their format for interviewing.

If it is, then yes what you have heard is right...They are looking for fashion forward trendy individuals. What I would personally do is go in to the store (even if not RI) and look at the window mannequins and internal mannequins. These will give you an idea of what is in right now. I would definitely wear clothes from the store. It will show that you have an interest in their brand, which will give a good first impression.

I would stay away from regular skinny denims, maybe instead go fro a dress like in your pics or a skinny trouser, baggy shirt, layering of necklaces if you want to be smarter. Think about your accessories as this completes an outfit and they will notice this too.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This definitely sounds like River Island!

I had an interview for RI last year, and the standard smart blouse and trousers won't suffice. At my interview, there were about 30 of us. All were wearing trendy stuff that was really fashionable, I remember seeing lots of the girls wearing aztec print.

I wore camel coloured harem pants (from RI), a crisp white tank top, and a clotted cream coloured blazer with a statement necklace and pumps.

Definitely try to be as edgy as possible - stand out if you can! One of the first things we did at the interview was introduce ourself to everyone, explain why we chose our outfit and pick a celebrity who inspires our style, so have that answer ready.

Wearing a blouse and trousers will get you nowhere.

I was offered the job, as were another boy and girl. The boy wore skinny burgundy jeans with black leather boots, a low neck t-shirt and a blazer. The girl wore an aztec playsuit with converse and a chunky knit cardigan, she also had flowers in her hair.

Yep that's who the interview is for alright! So with that in mind, would the outfit I posted in the OP be along the lines of what they'd look for? I've never been this stressed trying to dress for an interview before! :pac:

• Advertisement

It look great to me. If your wearing tan be careful not to wear too much with no patches or streaks! Other than that it looks perfect to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Ah fair enough, that changes everything OP! Best of luck!

Great, thanks so much :) I think I'll be going with that so. It still feels really weird to me going to an interview in anything other than black trousers and a blouse though! :pac: But if that's what they're looking for then that's that! I really appreciate the input, great to hear from someone that's interviewed/worked there :)

I know what you mean, but keep telling yourself your dressing appropriately even though it might seem like your not.

I wore trousers with a blouse and cardigan for a H&M interview and I was told the only reason I didn't get the job was because my outfit didn't reflect the kind of personality they wanted to represent their store.

For retail jobs, definitely go for trendy fashion rather than classic interview style. It'll pay off in the end, even though its much more nerve wrecking than your standard pants and blouse!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Try and pop into the store and browse the website before you have the interview. You might be asked on the "stories" or trends of the season, so you could mention that your outfit on the day is inspired by what you see in the shop http://www.riverisland.com/women/get-the-look

• Advertisement

Just to say thanks for all the help everyone, I got the job! :)

• Congrats on the job, OP! That dress in the first picture is gorgeous - where is it from?

I'm surprised how many people think black trousers + plain top is right for every interview. It definitely isn't right for anything 'creative'. I know loads of people who lost out on retail jobs for looking too boring and even when I had an interview at a digital publishing agency last year, all the other candidates were in jeans and really trendy clothes.

Congrats on the job, OP! That dress in the first picture is gorgeous - where is it from?

I'm surprised how many people think black trousers + plain top is right for every interview. It definitely isn't right for anything 'creative'. I know loads of people who lost out on retail jobs for looking too boring and even when I had an interview at a digital publishing agency last year, all the other candidates were in jeans and really trendy clothes.

Thank you! I just grabbed a picture from google images, a quick search again tells me it's from Urban Outfitters, but the website that it was from was dated a few years back so I doubt it's available any more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Congrats on the job . Would love to see what you wore. Any links?

Advertisement