Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SD cards and other tricks for speeding up netbooks

Options
  • 16-01-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever used an SD card to speed up a lower end netbook? I picked up a Samsung and I was stripping out all the usual software and tweaking it for performance, maxes out at 2 gig RAM which is installed, and it works at a decent clip now.

However I was reading about other ways to speed it up, and some sites recommend putting a 4 gig class 10 SD card into the slot (which I never use anyway) and clicking on "allow windows to use this to speed up your computer" when the removable media popup appears.

Has anyone ever tried this, and were the results noticeable?

Also, any other ideas for hardware or software tweaks to speed it up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Yes, ReadyBoost:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-memory-in-your-storage-device-to-speed-up-your-computer

Since its talking about hard drive speeds I guess this has something to do with pagefiles... Its cheap enough to try so I'll give it a go and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,646 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If it's just your pagefile/hyberfile it's not going to do much for your computer, unless you find yourself regularly hitting your maximum memory a lot. When you do, your system bleeds random access memory information onto the pagefile, stored on the hard disk, which slows your operations down incredibly. But unless you're multitasking a whole bunch, or have a ton of random programs running in your background you shouldn't be having this problem.

Its a netbook so one does tend to hit maximum memory from time to time. So really, instead of 2 gig RAM, I can get 2 gig fast RAM and 4 gig slower RAM for a fiver. Not too shabby.

I've even gone so far as to install most common programs on portable apps rather than to the program directory which will remove the higher memory overhead of things like openoffice, unless they're actually being run. :D

Okay, I tried it there. Bootup was no quicker, same as before really. In operation though I did notice it was a lot faster, my Indian name is "browses with 73 tabs open" so it seemed to make a difference.

Advertisement