Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[utterly unoriginal thought, but-] I want to write a zombie

Options
  • 24-06-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I've been toying with the idea of writing a zombie story lately (I had an incredibly vivid dream that inspired it). Set in Galway; setting only, like a mental map to work on. I've never written anything before so, what do you think makes a good zombie story? Lots of people being zombified? Side stories? Detailed characters? Or detailed zombie killing? Is up-close zombie action better? Or more the day-to-day during the post-apocalyptic world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've been working on a story for a zombie short film that we planned a while back on here and it's almost ready to write. I set rules on a grand scale and thought about the overall picture then looked for a story in how I thought the mayhem would unfold. My problem with most zombie stories is they're all essentially exactly the same story, even the European stories tend to ape the American ones rather than show a European version.

The main problem for me has been budget and the limits of a small scale production, I keep having to scale back so that the story is actually achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Estuary by Derek Gunn is a Zed novel set in Ireland if anyone is looking for an Irish set Zombie story written by an Irish based author.

Derek is actually a Boardsie who has popped into this forum a few times, so if he is about at any stage and not busy, he might be able to offer a few words of advice to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

A film Irish perspective would be great. As echoed in many other posts and threads. We are in a very survivable situation compared to a lot of mainland Europe. We could end up becoming the Europe's savior! A positive zombie film, to blow away our economic woes.

Geographically we're an Island with; limited densely populated urban centres, good natural resources and climate. A relatively small population in a small area, the military could easily cordon and control before any major escalation of infected. Very easy to quarantine any arrivals from overseas in the event of a global incident.

I could be wrong but in WWZ weren't the royal family evacuated to Ireland.

Also in the event of Ireland itself falling to the Zeds the likes of Fort Davis and Fort Camden in Cork and various other fort's / castles provide ideal havens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MagicianBF

BigDuffman wrote: »

According to wiki "The Pope and members of the British Royal Family had fled to Ireland and the Isle of Man." THAT'S HILARIOUS! AND amazing :D That'd make a good story itself. The aftermath of the zombie apocalypse with the royal family/pope in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

BigDuffman wrote: »
    They were but I don't think that would happen in real life, the queen probably has some castles suitable for a zombie invasion and I'm sure the military would prioritise her safety.

Despite the UK having very large and dense populations, their town planning means there are a lot of open spaces between cities and towns and they don't allow one off housing like we do here in Ireland.

The fact the UK still has a monarchy in waiting could be an advantage for the UK, while European republics are fighting over who should be in charge the UK people may well rally behind their queen/king. The two princes Harry and William are both trained military officers, william is a fully qualified pilot of both planes and helicopters. The monarchy could well step in and give the UK a political system very quickly.

Advertisement