Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your plans for the zombie apocalypse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Oh I get that the movies have done it, and I've read TZSG, but it's not the ability to... not die underwater that I'm talking about. Physically putting one foot in front of the other won't do much to propel you when completely submerged, even in a completely still swimming pool. Add in the sludge, silt and ocean currents, I don't think they'd make much progress across the sea floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I can see the current working to their advantage, and maybe trapped air working as buoyancy but it's a longshot if they were intent on following a sound directly to it's source.
    The current probably would wash them way off course, that's not to say that they'd never make it to a coast again.

Sporadic amphibious zombies, complete with starfishies on their heads would be a fate worse than a fate worse than death

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

Along the way they would probably be torn apart by rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

bushball wrote: »
    Along the way they would probably be torn apart by rocks
    They would be at the mercy of the ocean that's for sure, currents will drag them around battering them off anything they come across.

There's some pretty hardy species in the ocean too, if there's anything that can eat a zombie without dying it's probably in the ocean somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I am from Donegal. I live in the country on the cost and own land.
    So that on its own is a benefit.

If you live in the city you are zombie chow!

I also own a recurve bow, which over the years I have gotten pretty got at using.

The bow is silent, stealth is key in avoiding giving Z your location.
    Also arrow retrieval is possible if Z is well and truely down.

Also ammo, making arrows is doable, I know nothing about making bullets or gun powder.

I also own 3 canoe's and a rowing boat, if things get hairy an escape to near by non inhabited island is possible... 8Km from the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Not convinced that a bow is good at dispatching Z's. It would take a very very accurate shot to hit the right part of the brain to stop the Z. An arrow in the eye / heart / vital-organs will kill a human, but wont do anything to a Z. On the other hand, bows are ideal for killing game for survival (quiet & possible to make your own ammo - unlike guns). Would be very handy to defend yourself against other survivors / raiders.

The boat idea is great. Many fans of that plan here (myself included).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Not convinced that a bow is good at dispatching Z's. It would take a very very accurate shot to hit the right part of the brain to stop the Z. An arrow in the eye / heart / vital-organs will kill a human, but wont do anything to a Z. On the other hand, bows are ideal for killing game for survival (quiet & possible to make your own ammo - unlike guns). Would be very handy to defend yourself against other survivors / raiders.

You would be amazed at how accurate a bow can be. But true it is not going to do the same damage as a rifle...

I think a watch tower is also a key.
    If years of strategy games games taught me anything being able to see things coming and being able to attack from high gorund makes a huge difference.

I think a watch tower is also a key.....

yup, big fan of height also.

Been thinking recently about transport & fuel. I think a diesel car / jeep would be very good (secure & fast) but fuel is the problem. Then I realised that lots of farms will have diesel tanks ready to pump fuel to tractors etc. So come the Apoc, you can put an (empty) fuel tank in a trailer, and drive around your local farms and help yourself. OK, diesel (and petrol) will loose their spark after a while, but I think diesel will last longer, so you should be ok for a year or so. With diesel, you can now fuel generators (so lights, cameras, water pumps, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Watch this video :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not convinced that a bow is good at dispatching Z's. It would take a very very accurate shot to hit the right part of the brain to stop the Z.
    The thing is though you don't have to rely on accuracy with zombies, they're not exactly hard targets to hit. You can let one walk right up to you so it's easier to hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

My plans just took a serious setback, the firing pin mechanisim on my shotgun is irreparable, I just cant afford or justify a new gun at the moment.

On the subject of fuel, you can dilute diesel with up to 50% veg oil in most modern engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

ScumLord wrote: »
    The thing that is always overlooked in the movies is that somehow zombies are infectious enough to infect the entire planet but not infectious enough to infect the people turning them into mush. I think it'll be a huge risk hacking your way through a horde of zombies. If it's a bacteria or virus it's going to infect you once you come into contact with it through bodily fluids.

i dont know if you read, but in one book of the "Autumn" series by David Moody the survivors get sick from contact with the zombies. its a good series, set in the uk.

For the bow & arrow thing (as well as rifles) , they cause a lot of damage (and death) to humans ..... to a Zombie, you have to hit the base of the brain (the medulla oblongata) which is the size of a matchbox. This is the only part of the brain thats still working in a Z and controls the body. The Zs dont pump blood, dont breath, digest food, feel pain, or think. Only the most base motor-control is working. You need to hit this to stop them. Stabbing them in the eye or forehead (like Walking Dead style) wont do it. I would not rely on a bow or rifle. A shotgun will cause major brain damage , and the general consensus is that will do too, as well as any other form of total brain crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

you have to hit the base of the brain (the medulla oblongata) .

not necessarily it depends on how the infection/virus works

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

Watch The Walking Dead again for survival tips

Advertisement