Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Quantum Computing?

Options
  • 19-11-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm not sure whether the Physics forum would be suitable for this...

I'm wondering what is the job situation like for someone with a PhD in quantum computing? Are there many jobs going, would it mean moving abroad?

Just as importantly, what is the salary like in industry for someone with a PhD in quantum computing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

recording wrote: »
    Are there many jobs going

If you subscribe to the many worlds interpretation then there are in infinite number of jobs going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

You're probably looking at the companies that are doing post-doc research, although I don't know of any in Ireland looking at quantum. Have you checked out IBM Research in Mulhuddart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I'm not sure whether the Physics forum would be suitable for this...

I'm wondering what is the job situation like for someone with a PhD in quantum computing? Are there many jobs going, would it mean moving abroad?

Don't have any real knowledge here, but you are probably looking at a handful of academic or industry research lab jobs, if even that.
    Just as importantly, what is the salary like in industry for someone with a PhD in quantum computing?

I wouldn't imagine you'd get any premium over someone with a straight MSc in CS; maybe even less, for the vast majority of CS/developer roles.

You might be better trying to find something more like a company looking for quants who might be interested in you for your math skills.

Advertisement