Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€70 civic clutch kit from ebay vs. €300 from Micksgarage. What's the difference?

Options
  • 28-11-2014 9:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭

I've noticed that clutch kits are extremely cheap from the UK compared to the stuff on micksgarage.

Would I be grand with a UK one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depends on what it is. Friend got an exedy clutch from ebay cheap enough and it was perfect.

You could be buying any old shoite on ebay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Bit like buying anything on ebay, it could be grand or it could be a load of sh1te, just check the reputation and how long the seller has been on ebay for, they are usually clear indicators of the seller. Personally, I don't know if I'd be risking my car on a couple of hundred quid of a saving unless I was sure of the seller's quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

buy one in the uk and use parcel motel to avail of cheaper shipping cost, €300 seems quite expensive though, is it a VTec model Civic?
    While Micksgarage are quite cheap they are not always the cheapest, have you tried http://www.gsfcarparts.ie/ or Multipart

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My civic clutch comes in at €320 on gsf.
    No idea on brand.

€248 on micksgarage. Blueprint though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

It's not a VTEC or anything. Just a run of the mill poverty spec 1.4 2001 civic.

The clutch on eBay is £48 or so.

Is it just a case of rip off Ireland? I'll check the feedback.

Edit: just checked it, seems to have good feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

EBay makes nothing all the goods sold through eBay are from sellers a lot of the motor parts sold are from motor factors based in UK

I often buy from eBay save a fortune compared to prices here.

Look at the reviews and compare to other sellers

By the time you add shipping its gonna cost £120-150 total, clutch kits are heavy.
    A quick look for a 2001 1.4l civic clutch kit on
    GSF €149.95 inc free shipping or collection

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

By the time you add shipping its gonna cost £120-150 total, clutch kits are heavy.

Shipping will cost 4 euro with parcel motel. Where are you getting the extra £100 shipping price from? It could only cost that much if a staff member from UK swims to Ireland with the clutch.

nomeban wrote: »
    Shipping will cost 4 euro with parcel motel. Where are you getting the extra £100 shipping price from? It could only cost that much if a staff member from UK swims to Ireland with the clutch.
    Sorry that was suppose to be a euro symbol.
    I didn't look at every seller on eBay but the one or two I did excluded BT postcodes from the "free shipping", so was estimating courier post/DHL to be about 50pounds*. The ones that did ship to NI seemed to have extra cost envolved. I'm not sure of the exact weight of a clutch but it'll most likely also be over the 10kg limit for PM so will be more than €4 and you'll need to collect at the depot.
    Again I only looked at the first 2 sellers that I saw on eBay which came to about €120-150ish delivered.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310850866933

*From past experiences getting callipers and discs delivered from the UK it came to about £50 through DHL or one of them couriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Fastway delivers from UK and to UK from around 20 euro up to 30kg parcel..
    Clutch kit shouldn't be that heavy now..
    Most car parts sold in ebay cost between free-to-30 euro to be delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Did you try your local motor factor? Give them a ring even.

Mintex rear pads for a 1.4 megane 30 euro
    http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=3218630

The other day I got them(mintex too) and copper grease for 28 at the top of the road straight of the shelf.

Advertisement