Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An opening - would you read on?

Options
  • 19-01-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Haven't posted any new work on this for a while. Have been working on different things with work and all sorts but started writing something new a while ago and just wondering if it draws people in, encourages them to read on.

Didn't know what way this would format in the body so putting it up as a file instead.

All criticism or comment welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Impressive start. :)

The prologue held my attention and you introduced the characters well. I was instantly feeling like I was in the middle of Dublin, just watching any family. The characters felt real enough from the start that I would like to learn more about who they are, so that's obviously a good thing, so well done. :)

The no one knows what goes on behind closed doors bit intrigued me, and I, of course, would like to learn more about that. I felt that his arrival at the funeral dragged on just a little bit. Please don't think I'm criticising, this is me being extremely picky; I still wanted to read on, but I felt the compulsion to scan through the paragraphs to get onto the next bit of action. Perhaps, since he's going to meet the undertaker for coffee, you could make more of a point about the undertaker's character - is he meant to play an important part in the future? If so, maybe make him a little more mysterious. Or about the funeral - is there something in the father's character that might affect how people viewed him? Is there something array at the funeral which would suggest that something is wrong, in a sense, discreetly foretelling terrible disclosures? Some little things like that, I find, are important in the earliest pages in a book if I am to keep reading.

But great start. :) I know something is going to happen, as this is a story after all, so if you could show that on the page, then you're flying it.

Well done. :D

Advertisement