Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tar removal

• 19-08-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi I bought a can of holtz tar and spot remover to romove all the tar off my Renault Trafic van. It did a very good job.

One problem I have now is that over spray got onto the plastic handles etc. And they are not as black now. In fact there kinda white and black now.

I rubbed it off right away but it has still affected the plastic.

Is there any way to restore them to the previous black??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

You can get a small bit of black matt paint put some on a cloth a give it a quick wipe over.

irish gent wrote: »
    You can get a small bit of black matt paint put some on a cloth a give it a quick wipe over.

Does that last and does it need to be a certain type of paint?

did you try son of a gun its a polish for plastics .Well I used the paint because over over spray on the plastic, because When we would use The Thinners to remove the over spray it would leave a white layer on the plastic.Thats why we used the black paint ..

No I haven't tried sun of a gun. I have some at home. I'll give that a go and see what the results are. I was hoping for something that will last a week or two at a time. A few weeks would be even better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Don't use matt paint on a cloth, it'll only make it worse. the tar remover has silicone in it (greasy) which will act as a barrier against the paint bonding to the handle.

What you should do it get alcohol wipes or isopropyl alcohol and clean the handle as much as you can. This will remove the tar remover.

Don't use matt paint on a cloth, it'll only make it worse. the tar remover has silicone in it (greasy) which will act as a barrier against the paint bonding to the handle.

What you should do it get alcohol wipes or isopropyl alcohol and clean the handle as much as you can. This will remove the tar remover.

Ya all actually I ran out of doing the back doors and had to buy another can of it. When I wiped it off and then rinsed the treated area like the previous can it left an awful looking mess on my door, bonnet and bumper. I thought it ruined the pair until I spent over an hour wiping it off with clean kitchen roll.

That must be the oil you are referring to so that is on the handles etc.?

Yep, that's it exactly! You should be able to wash it off in a few minutes rather than the way you did it though!

Yep, that's it exactly! You should be able to wash it off in a few minutes rather than the way you did it though!

Ya that worked with the first can. Sprayed it on, left it three mins, wiped all the tar and spray off, wiped the area with a wet rag then dried it with a dry rag but that didn't work out with the second can. It left an awful mess on the door and bumper and took ages to get it off with clean kitchen roll.

Are those wipes expensive? Would I buy them in an autoparts shop?

No, you'd get them in a pharmacy.

You could also get pre-paint in an auto factors. It preps areas that are going to be painted.

• Advertisement

No, you'd get them in a pharmacy.

You could also get pre-paint in an auto factors. It preps areas that are going to be painted.

Like panel wipe?

Like panel wipe?

Exactly :)

Exactly :)

Do you have to buy a big few litres of that stuff?

When I get it cleaned off is there any way to get all the plastic looking nice and new again? Like the way lads spray on back to black but that doesn't last long at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Gtechniq C4 might be the job

Gtechniq C4 might be the job

Spike Witwicky what is that stuff?

Its a permanent trim restorer. Should last at least 2 yrs. Chemically bonds to the plastic to become the new surface.
    Tis kinda expensive though. about €30 for a 15ml bottle but you use very little

Its a permanent trim restorer. Should last at least 2 yrs. Chemically bonds to the plastic to become the new surface.
    Tis kinda expensive though. about €30 for a 15ml bottle but you use very little

Oh ya that's sounds like the ticket alright. Is it a one coat solution? Wipe it on and wipe it off?

Oh ya that's sounds like the ticket alright. Is it a one coat solution? Wipe it on and wipe it off?

yep exactly :)

yep exactly :)

AH cool that sounds the ticket then. Jeepers its dear aul stuff for such a small amount

It is a bit expensive but then again you only use a little. I did my scuttle panel with was the largest piece of plastic on my car and still had 3/4 of a bottle left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Try a bit of back to black first.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andrew1300r

Best thing for tar removal..fill a spray bottle with petrol & spray areas where effected.. Leave it for 3-4 mins...good damp cloth & soak a little of it in petrol & rub & rub !!! When finished just wash car down with a good car shampoo & car will look like new again.If you don't do this the petrol will leave white streak marks but they will go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Best thing for tar removal...... & rub & rub !!!

Its not the BEST thing - it works, but far from the best!

Thats like me saying that Gloss paint is the best thing for your walls in your house - its not, it works, but its not the best!!

You do not want to be rubbing anything on your paintwork, if you can do the job without rubbing. Tar contains fine dirt and grit; rub that on your paintwork and you are going to scratch it, even microscopically, but this results in dulling of the paintwork over time!

Curran wrote: »
    Its not the BEST thing - it works, but far from the best!

Thats like me saying that Gloss paint is the best thing for your walls in your house - its not, it works, but its not the best!!

You do not want to be rubbing anything on your paintwork, if you can do the job without rubbing. Tar contains fine dirt and grit; rub that on your paintwork and you are going to scratch it, even microscopically, but this results in dulling of the paintwork over time!

What's the best for removing tar without rubbing?

Dedicated tar removers, not something that will remove the tar...theres plenty of those things out there, but not safe for your paintwork.
    Very hard to find a good tar remover in your local motor factors too - the likes of Holtz is very aggressive.

You need to look at a Detailing Supplier - there are various products available...some that are very good, removing the majority in one application but a bit more expensive. Some that are cheap, but may require 2 or 3 applicaitons. Some are more like gels so sit on the tar / paintwork, others more like water and run off the tar / paintwork. Its a matter of finding one that works for your needs. If you do the de-tar process frequently, the cheaper options may suit you as there wont be a lot of tar on the car.

... Some that are cheap, but may require 2 or 3 applicaitons.

I found this with Autoglyms tar remover. Cheap but took a few goes.
    Considering something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I found this with Autoglyms tar remover. Cheap but took a few goes.
    Considering something else.

Ya that stuff ain't the best at times. Sometimes I wonder if it's just water they put into the bottles :rolleyes: Takes ages for it to work its magic, but like you said it will eventually get the job done.

The best Tar remover I've used is Autosmart Tardis. It doesn't leave a greasy residue as it's more like a solvent than a gel.

TAR can be removed with petrol on a cloth ,just wet your cloth with the petrol .Rub it over the tar and you will see it melt away under your eyes. As I said also about the black plastic rub a little bit of black paint on a cloth use a j cloth and cloves small bit now.;)

• Advertisement

Sorry, if the Tar is very hard , use a plastic spreader like an old visa card, and take the top layer off tar and then us the petrol on the cloth that will get it off.

I finally got a chance to get the panel wipe to clean the plastic handles etc. It doesn't seem to remove the whiteness off the handles etc. Is there anything else I can do to remove the white off the handles etc?

Anyone?

bump? I'm going to wash the van tomorrow and would like to try sort this out.

Any pictures of the handles?

I'll get pics tomorrow. Ended up away for the day and didn't get to wash the van :-(

• Advertisement

Here's a PIC of one of the handles. I tried saturating it in panel wipe and clean I with a clean cloth and I didn't work :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

You will be able to darken the overall appearance of the handle with a plastics and trim product, but at the edges where there is the very light grey spots/areas, the plastic, I would guess is damaged beyond repair. Perhaps removing them and re-spraying them, might be the best option.

You will be able to darken the overall appearance of the handle with a plastics and trim product, but at the edges where there is the very light grey spots/areas, the plastic, I would guess is damaged beyond repair. Perhaps removing them and re-spraying them, might be the best option.

What would u re spray them.with? That was done with the tar removal product I used to remove the tar on the van :-(

PlastiDip would work well - easy enough to use and if you make a mess of it, it just peels off!

What tar remover were you using!?

• Advertisement

PlastiDip would work well - easy enough to use and if you make a mess of it, it just peels off!

What tar remover were you using!?

Holtz . it melted it off but wrecked all my handles and plastic at the bottom of my windscreen :-(

Holtz is one of the most aggressive tar removers I have come across - yes it does a fantastic job on tar removal, but destroys everything in its sight, and Im pretty sure it reacts badly with the paint too!!

I dont know if it reacted with the paint. The van was destroyed in tar spots. the back doors where half black there was that much tar spots on them. Right so my only option is to use the plasti dip then?

I think they are beyond fixing by a simple fix of a Plastic and Trim Dressing.
    You might be able to PlatiDip them in place - YouTube a few videos. Another alternative would be to source them in a breakers - offer to swap back the old ones, and part with a few quid for the exchange??

I just watched the plastidip vids on youtube. Would the plastidip feel like a rubbery plastic when applied?

Slightly; also, thinking about, it, Im not sure how durable it would be if that handle takes a bit of heavy usage.

Ya my driver door, sliding door and rear door handles would take a good bit of usage. I would be constantly in and out of the van during jobs. Would back to black be any good?

What was in the Holtz tar remover that ruined the plastic like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Tar removers vary in make up but many mention not to get near plastic, due to the particular solvents in them.

Personally I'd just get some black bumper paint or matt black paint. Remove them and spray them. They will look original even in texture and will last pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

I'd agree with the above I'd take them off and spray them .. I wouldn't imagine there's much else you can do with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement