Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Penneys have an online store?

Options
  • 15-11-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All, I am doing a college project at the moment and I was just looking to understand if people would like to see Penneys open an online store and why or why not?

Many thanks for your help.

Orlagh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. There are enough Penny's stores around to actually shop in a real store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No. There are enough Penny's stores around to actually shop in a real store.

Only if you're in a town.

Op look at the benefits of ecommerce and decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I would use a website, definitely. I do most of my shopping online. Free delivery, and free return to the store for size swap and it'd be a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

I would because it's so easier when u have young kids.this year I bought online for Christmas.most of the chain stores are online I can't understand why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Only if you're in a town.

Op look at the benefits of ecommerce and decide.

I was asked for my opinion and I gave it honestly. I live in a very rural area. I do a lot of online shopping but something like Penny's is merchandise I personally would rather just go to town for. It's my opinion and my response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

no I don't think so I think the sizing in penneys can be so odd that I wouldnt buy it online.

I've worked in penneys too and the new lines come and go so quickly and often aren't repeated It would be hard to keep up with that online.

As a shopper its nice to go in and do a big shop and pick up all your bits and bobs and then getting that familliar shock at the til

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

sizes are too all over the place, l wouldnt buy from it anyway, would ALWAYS have to try on the clothes before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Plus Penneys are famous for making people impulse shop - you see something and instantly pop it into your basket even though you don't really need it. That doesn't tend to happen as much online - you don't get as swept up by browsing mindlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Penney's have stated many times that it doesn't fit within their business model from a customer point if view it would no doubt but not so much for them margins are too tight and operating a large online store is a lot more expensive than most people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yes! The biggest pain in the árse about Penney's is actually having to go in there and bate people/get bate by people just to look through the rails. I rarely go in there anymore because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Plus "free" delivery is never free, it's built into the price that you pay - so you'd either have to pay a delivery fee or it'd be more expensive to buy items online (which many retailers have discovered is never a good idea).

I think that limited collection thing they have with ASOS is as close as they'll get. They're making more and more money all the time, why on earth would they take such a huge financial risk?

I imagine all eyes will be on the US expansion for the next few years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Orlesmc

Thanks for all of your comments. Its really helpful. What about if they just sold their new stuff online that sells out really quickly and not their standard stuff?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Orlesmc wrote: »
    Thanks for all of your comments. Its really helpful. What about if they just sold their new stuff online that sells out really quickly and not their standard stuff?

Thanks

Didn't they already do that with ASOS and it failed miserably?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/primark-unlikely-to-continue-with-asos-online-collaboration-8923652.html

They did try it on Asos with only 10 products though. What about an online click and collect instore model? Getting rid of the Delivery costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JimmyD85

I'd say free deliveries over €20/30 would be popular enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

JimmyD85 wrote: »
    I'd say free deliveries over €20/30 would be popular enough.

Of course it would but it also would massive cut into their margins which are tight for a clothing company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wouldn't use it to buy online but I would use it to see what's in the shop, definitely

Thanks everyone. I am really just looking for what the customer wants for this project rather than the viability of whether Penneys can deliver or not. So thanks again.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement