Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major Earthquake in China - Three Gorges Dam only 300miles away from Epicentre

• 12-05-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭

An earthquake in China has killed up to 5,000 people and injured 10,000 more, state media reports.

The tremor, in south west China, has also buried 900 teenagers in a school.

The death toll is only just being revealed as authorities and rescue teams make contact with the worst-hit areas of Sichuan province.

State media says some 80% of the buildings in one county of Sichuan have collapsed.

Roads and phone lines have been cut off since the 7.8 magnitude quake struck at 2:30pm local time.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1315745,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Good sweet titty fucking :eek:

Imagine if that thing bursts.... thats enough water to kill tens of millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Apparently there was an earthquake in Beijing too, heard about it first thing this morning when I arrived in work. One of my companies offices shook in the earthquake, thankfully nobody was injured or killed in it.

Terrible about those that did die in the other quake. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why cant these things be detected?

Better question - has the dam been designed to withstand large earthquakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Myth wrote: »
    Better question - has the dam been designed to withstand large earthquakes?

My research reveals it was built to withstand a 7.0 quake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I'd say it would to an extent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The World Trade Center buildings were designed to withstand an attack by a jet, I seem to remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You would wonder if the tibetan monks prayed for it to happen though wouldn't you?

I do.

Even so, it is a terrible tragedy. I just hope china won't be a load of pr1cks about getting aid in like in Burma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

a 7.9 wouldn't have much effect on something 300 miles away, the san francisco earthquake of 1906 didn't effect LA for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sully wrote: »
    I would of thought the shaking would be a good indication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

luckat wrote: »
    The World Trade Center buildings were designed to withstand an attack by a jet, I seem to remember?

Lets not go there today please

google Loose Change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Overheal wrote: »
    Lets not go there today please

google Loose Change.
    What he said.

I know it's too late for 5000 of them, but I hope the rest make it out ok, particularly those still trapped in buildings/rubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Jez, what's with all these natural disastors one after the other? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Mother Earth is restless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

BeerWolf wrote: »

It's always happened. The earth is constantly changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

december 2012 is happeningsz! Zomg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Standard jet attack involves a smaller plane and not flying into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Titanic was also supposed to be unsinkable :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Overheal wrote: »
    google Loose Change.

Don't bother, its full of bull**** and half truths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The latest news is grave, looks like the death toll is going to rise to astonishing figures :(
    BEIJING -- There has been no news from the county in southwest China at the epicenter of a deadly earthquake, more than nine hours after the disaster struck on Monday, state press reported.

All lines of communication had been cut with Wenchuan county, which has a population of 112,000 people, Xinhua reported, adding rescue teams had been unable to reach there because the roads had been destroyed.

The lack of news from Wenchuan raises the prospect of the death toll rising dramatically, as Xinhua has already reported thousands of deaths in nearby areas of Sichuan province.

"We are doing everything we can, but the roads are blanketed with rocks and boulders," Xinhua quoted Li Chongxi, a Communist Party official, as saying.

Li was leading a rescue team trying to reach Wenchuan, Xinhua reported, but was stranded at Dujiangyan city about 40 kilometers (25 miles) away.

Xinhua's dispatch went out around 11:30 pm.

The quake, with a magnitude of 7.8, struck shortly before 2:30 p.m. (0600 GMT) on Monday.

More than 8,600 people have been killed, Xinhua said in previous reports, quoting government officials.

In Sichuan alone, 8,533 were killed, Xinhua said, citing the local government.

In Sichuan's Beichuan county, which is close to Wenchuan, the number of deaths was estimated at more than 3,000, with 80 percent of the buildings there destroyed, according to Xinhua.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Sully wrote: »

I think you mean predicted.
    Indeed Why?

Advertisement