Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People getting more and more matierialistic?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

for years all ive heard people talk about is property , property , property - soulless boring materialistic twats - on cocaine - thats what this country i once loved turned into . Came very close to climbing a tall building with a rifle and scope a few times but decided the inevitable recession would be much more fun to sit back and watch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

When people have money to spend they make a virtue of their material possessions. When there's no money to spare they make a virtue of being non materialistic......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

for years all ive heard people talk about is property , property , property - soulless boring materialistic twats - on cocaine - thats what this country i once loved turned into .
    Tell me about it. You really gotta miss all that unemployment and those comely maidens dancing at the crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

As long as there have been people there has been materialism, there is just the degrees of it.

There are people that have, multiple lcd tvs, xboxes, ps3s, mp3 players, ipods and iphones, jewels, expensive watches, cars... and spend like there is no tomorrow.

Lots of it has to do with the fact that for the last couple of decades the media has been brainwashing people and making consumers out of them.

I used to be very materialistic AND a collector at heart to make it even worse, I liked to have things, and worse of all things in new mint condition, if something got a scratch I immediately had the feeling of losing something, I wanted to replace that thing with a new one.

Lately though, I've changed, most of it has to do with the fact that I got exhausted with caring for stuff and cleaning it and maintaining it.... I've sold lots of stuff, I only buy things that I need not things I want, I believe I've become more practical, I have an old nokia 6230i, I don't need an iphone, yea it looks good, but do I really need it? nope... I don't buy a top of the line pc, I settle for something that is enough, I use things, I don't care if something gets a scratch, F it.

I'm just fed up with stuff stuff stuff, I want to be as "mobile" as possible and have only the necessary things.

I still do have an obsession with sorting files on a pc though..... I like to have everything in a perfect order and in a high quality(audio/video).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,091 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think it means that people today have more money than sense, and are more likely to fall for the type of illogical and irrational whatevers fashionable at the moment, new agey, paranormaly, aroma reiki crystal reflex tarot card reading based pseudo religious substitutes around at the moment.

Not, really, no. Spirtial and new age are different things. By spiritual, I mean that people are more holistic now then they were ten years ago, and are more likely to take the Buddhist approach towards materialist, and see that the extras won't bring them happiness. Nothing really sixth-sensey about it at all. Of course, as you point out, some do go to the other extreme, but they they still tend to be looking for soemthing more personal than possessions.

To sum up - spirtual people tent to be more content with the they have and more interested in who they are. Materialistc people are never content with what thay have

The only "pseudo religious" sustiute around here at the moment is the daily star/TV3 tabloid media bandwagon.
    "Someone turn on something - I'm starting to think, here!"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement