Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai. could you contemplate being one?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Lilibet wrote: »
    I don't know of any parent who would wish to see their child in a job where, at best she will be treated with disdain by an increasing number of the public encouraged by an often exaggerated and unfair reaction to events by a hostile media and politicians,and at worst lose her life in the service of the self same people who will then be entirely hypocritical in their reaction to it.I'm a cynic when it comes to this.

However,if she decides to follow through with it,we will support her 100%
    I don't know of any parent who would encourage their child to go into financial f*cking services after they expressed an interest in joining the Gardai. Chalk and Cheese.

Seriously, who in their right mind would let bad press stop them from doing what they want to do? Oh, and politicians almost universally support the Gardai to the hilt, so I don't know where you get that from. Yeah, being a member of the Gardai isn't always easy, and you do get a lot of stick from the plebs, but judging by this thread alone there is plenty of support out there for the thin blue line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Certainly not for me.

Most of them seem fine but I think it's kinda like bouncing in that it attracts some people who really should not be allowed do that job. You can do your best to vet them but you can't figure out somebody's personality, not really.

Actually, on the subject of vetting, that's another issue I have with them. It's still kind of a closed shop. If they go back as far as your grandparents's family and find something they don't like, like someone whol had a bit of trouble when they were young or even just someone with political idealologies different to the mainstream, you're automatically out. That's no reflection on how you are yourself as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

rb_ie wrote: »
    I think a lot just treat it as any other job, funnily enough I've smoked weed with off duty guards a few times.
    Pen1987 wrote: »
    They dont get their free lunches and all that ****e, but they cause mania when they go out with their college mates, all of them are absolute pissheads who have no fear of anyone because the have the badge in their pocket. I know that a few of them have been in work drunk, one of them worked in the city centre and he was out on the piss but in work at 6AM so he just went to work and slept in the cells then used an uniform someone left there when they went off duty, then went on duty at 6, and slept on the desk that people go to for stamps until 10. (When he woke up there was a queue of people! everyone was to afraid/embarassed to wake him!)

Its a beneficial job, and if you get the posting you want its an easy job.

The type of Gardai mentioned above make me sick.As a future Garda hopeful,I detest officers like the above...they should be fired ASAP!!!!!

Pen,it is most certainly not a cushy job..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I think its fair to say that 99% of the posters here have no idea about the reality of the job.

Too much television... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Oilrig wrote: »
    I think its fair to say that 99% of the posters here have no idea about the reality of the job.

Too much television... ;)
    So you're a Garda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

CyberGhost wrote: »
    infected with some nasty crap and they(local drunks) are violent ones, what if they cut you or scratch you?

Zombie Forum FTW.

Society depresses me enough as it is, I wouldn't want a job that exposes me to the worst aspects of it.

Advertisement