Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost shoe shine

Options
  • 20-01-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey,

Bit of a weird one, I bought a pair of shoes a while ago. I wore them to a wedding and one of them has lost its shine. As a result the pair look a bit odd when I wear them.

Any ideas on how to get it back? I've polished them with no result.

DOC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I usually apply shoe polish with a brush and after it dries polish with an old pair of tights. It seems to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What kind of finish do the shoes have? i.e. are they leather, patent leather, manmade pleather?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

You could get one of those "scuff coat" bottles, not great for the leather but it'll get the shine / colour back.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

dudara wrote: »
    What kind of finish do the shoes have? i.e. are they leather, patent leather, manmade pleather?

There leather, there not patent but do have a shine on the toe area. Its a bit weird that it has just disappeared on one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I wonder if alcohol (or perhaps diesel or petrol) was spilled on the shoes, that could have reacted with the surface finish.

It's hard to say what will work without seeing the shoes. You could try taking them to a good shoemaker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

What Dura said its likely alcohol spilt on them, it destroys leather.

Advertisement