Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Getaway

Options
  • 09-12-2002 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Although this game has a release date of the 11/12 it can currently be rented (but not bought) from xtravision.

Quick review!

Played it last night, very nice realism, very real London streets and great to fly down them in real cars like Alfa Romeo's etc.

Once you get out of the car there are poxy camera angles and the aiming of the gun can sometimes simply not work?

Cut scenes are good and no doubt the language will cause much hype.

This game is Lock Stock meets GTA meets Burnout 2.

Badly let down by out of the car game engine though.

Best bits are racing down an english city street persued by the coppers, very "Police Camera Stop" ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Superfurry

Is it any different from the demo that came with the OPS2 magazine? I thought that was pretty dissapointing and if the full game is like that, I might give it a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Not sure as I never played the demo , I think it is a real "rent and try" before you buy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Superfurry
    Is it any different from the demo that came with the OPS2 magazine? I thought that was pretty dissapointing and if the full game is like that, I might give it a miss.

I have being told the driving (etc) feels faster in the full game

and the gun aim is one of the games problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

hmm. Must give this one a lash. Xtra-vision you say ? :) Now where's my card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I heard that you are stuck driving the Alfa Romeo for quite a while in the beginning of the game and it is a bit slow of a car.s this true?Or can you get out of your car and carjack passing cars as you please?
    All in all is it worth buying?It is just that when i was in Woolworths up in Norn Iron the other day it said that if you buy the Getaway you get Resovior Dogs on DVD for only around 3 quid:)
    It is just that I like to check before putting my hand in my pocket,as I previously learned from the atrocious Max Payne that bad games can often be wearing attractive covers,so to speak:)Thank god I got my money back on that one.Its just that Im not sure if Woolworths do no problem refunds like Game do.

And BTW is Hitman 2 any good?Sorry to ask in this thread but i bought it today and Ive been rushed off my arse too much to play it,what with shopping and spending 1 and a half feckin hours tuning in my nans video before having to get home,research the opinions on the Getaway,quickly skim through the CD I bought,catch a bit of tv,have a shower and get to bed to be up by 7:30am mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

No you arent stuck at all you can get out and hijack any car that passes, anyway the alfa aint the worst!

Been playing it a bit more and I do like it, I like leaving a mission and flying through London with the cops after you, ace stuff. I guess I like it a bit more now.

Played Hitman 2 on the xbox only and think its ok although I didnt buy it as I didnt like it that much (never liked the pc 1st version much either anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Have just started playing it.Its OK but is it no GTA.It is deffo more suited to a widescreen tv.The car size in proportion to the screen is massive-I was only playing for 30 minutes and my eyes are tired.The car control when going round bends at speed is awful.There are too many one way streets.And cars are too badly damaged from one crash-crash once and your car continues to detoriate until you have to abandon it.And when you are outside your car you must use the poxy analog sticks to move, it takes quite a while to commit a carjacking as well and you run the risk of being knocked down and killed(those nice people from GTA simply slowed down and let you into their car).And you cannot get side views and engine views like on GTA3,which is handy for doing drive by shootings and checking damage to your engine.And you dont seem to be able to skip the intorductory films.
    It is OK but I am thinking about returning the game and getting my money back.It is probably a lot better on widescreen.Worst point is the poor steering and the size of the cars,as well as the analog out of car movements.On the plus side the graphics are great,very realistic.

But on a whole I wouldn’t recommend you buy it-you are most probably better off with Vice City(which I should get soon).Sort of like the old GTA games on the original playstation-all hyped because of the language and violent theme but in reality a bit of a letdown(or in the original GTA games case a major letdown)
    I would give this 5 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I don't think it's fair to compare this game to GTA3 as it's done in a different vain. It's supposed to be a perfect replica of London, no doubt that will come in handy for people that actually live there as you don't know how to get to where you are going as there's no HUD to mention of within the game. this gives the game a totally different feeling then that of GTA.

I think the game is more dark and grusome than that of GTA as you can relate to it more ie. you do see black Lexus's and Peugot 306's on the road every day, whereas, when was the last time you've seen any of the cars in GTA in real life.

Granted, you cant power slide around corners as you would in GTA. But I'm sure if you tried to power slide around a corner in a Peugot 306, it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

The Getaway is definitely not a pick up and play game as GTA is, but it isn't designed to be. It's definitely a lot harder, it took me about 50 attempts to get past the second part of the first mission. I'm only on the second mission now having trouble in finding the night club where you have to get to.

My 2 cents, if you wondering whether to buy vice city or the getaway, buy vice city (unless you found GTA4 to be a big pile of poo). If you already have Vice City and are looking for something different and have the patience to site down and play, then go for The Getaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

got this game on a week ago when it was released....really looking foward to it for months, but after playing it for a week and really giving it a chance I have to say I was really disappointed. The game looks fantastic but the cars are sluggish, you can't skip thru the cut scenes (which can be tiresome when you are watching them for the 40th time, which you will end up doing). However, the biggest problem with it is the shooting and in particular the aiming, it's just too damn awkward especially when you get pulled into a close range firefight. Also when you get hit you have to find a corner and rest for a couple of minutes before you get back to full health, unrealistic and boring t.b.h.

Thankfully, I took it back to game on liffy st. yesterday, spun them a story and they swapped it for hitman2 which I have to say is the dogs.....

Moral of the story...ignore the hype, the getaway is poor, but maybe with a little extra work the sequel could be something special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I would advise buying Vice City it gave me a whole 2 weeks of enjoyment before I finished everything in the game.

I've had the Getaway for 2 weeks now and I'm at some poxy police station and it's a load of boll*cks cos I've been trying that mission about 100 times. Point being one thing I hate in a game is where you coasting through missions (by coasting I mean having a good few attempts and then passing it) and you then suddenly come up against a brick wall mission that has had you stuck after 7hrs of solid gameplay.

Altough, I do like the cars and the realism in the fact that if your car is going top spedd theres no way your gonna pull a handbraker. I find the cars pretty OK and even the Peugeout 306 is a good car (the Fiat Punto is the best for speed & control)

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

Its become inactive after 3 days, I went back to Vice City after having it for nearly a month.

Advertisement