Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunratty Roadworks

Options
  • 15-07-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Can someone please elaborate what the reason for the current delays due to "roadworks" is on the Limerick side of Bunratty.
    Jesus we had to put up with this for weeks leading up to last Christmas.
    Please not again - I just want to get home after a hard day!
    What are these a holes up to again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Can someone please elaborate what the reason for the current delays due to "roadworks" is on the Limerick side of Bunratty.
    Jesus we had to put up with this for weeks leading up to last Christmas.
    Please not again - I just want to get home after a hard day!
    What are these a holes up to again?

Is that as you're coming out of Limerick? I think they must be getting paid by the amount of traffic cones that they put out, although I did see a mini digger scratching a patch of grass in off the road as I passed today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Boomtownrat81

dmc17 wrote: »
    Is that as you're coming out of Limerick? I think they must be getting paid by the amount of traffic cones that they put out, although I did see a mini digger scratching a patch of grass in off the road as I passed today :)
    Yes the road out of Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Boomtownrat81

Yes the road out of Limerick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think it's about time they re-aligned the dandelions...

On a side note, if you come out of Limerick and want to join at Caherdavin, you see the holdup and decide to take the backroad, they closed that as well.
    Well played, an amazing piece of road trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Does anyone know:
    a) if the roadworks on the main road are still there?
    b) if the back road that DrFuzzy mentioned (the one up beside the Radisson) is still closed?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know:
    b) if the back road that DrFuzzy mentioned (the one up beside the Radisson) is still closed?

Thanks.

All the traffic cones were there today on the main road at about 3 o'clock but not a worker to be seen :rolleyes: Not sure about the other road though

Does anyone know:

Thanks.

Dunno, going home via Broadford and Tulla meself. Lovely drive, I am lucky that I have one of the most scenic commutes one could ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The "back road" near the Radisson was never closed- they were doing resurfacing on parts last week and this is now finished.

My usual commute home is Shannon Bridge, Condell Road, and then out to the N18 via the Coonagh/Clondrinagh/Meelick/etc roundabouts. I usually get home to Ennis at 7 or a couple of minutes after.

Last night, about 400m (1/4 mile) before I had even reached the last roundabout at the Radisson (is that one the Clondrinagh one? - I can never remember which one is which!), the traffic was backed up in the left lane, and the right lane was completely clear.

I decided to nip up the right lane and take the road by the Radisson. Despite what HighlyD has said, there is a 'Road Closed' sign on the entrance to that road. So I turned back in towards Limerick, went left at the next roundabout (Meelick roundabout?) and then went cross country. I went up some roads with grass running up the centre, through a forest, and eventually found my way back to the N18 at Junction 5.

I forgot to check my watch when I got home (and I had also stopped at the shop), so I don't know how much longer I took to get home, but I reckon it was about 25-30 minutes after normal. I hate to think how much longer I would have been if I had just joined the queue in the left lane.

Tonight, I tried a different tack. I went out the Dock Road and through the tunnel. Even when approaching from there, there was a queue in the left hand lane from about 6-800m before the merge. However, the right lane was completely clear, so I stayed in it. At the merge, a solid line of traffic was trying to merge into another solid line of traffic, and both were suffering as a result. However, the right lane was still almost completely clear.

Just after the merge, there is an advance warning sign to say that one lane is closed, 800m further on. For some strange unfathomable reason, 95% of drivers seem to think that this sign means they have to stay in the left lane. It doesn't. It's just an advance warning. So I continued to sail past all of these drivers that were stuck in the left lane until I got to the point where the right lane closure actually begins, at which point I merely indicated left and merged in. I had overtaken - perfectly legally - about a mile worth of almost stationary traffic.

The actual bit that's down to one lane lasts from there until just before J5. Once you get into it, the traffic moves quite nicely through it, at about 50km/h.

Tonight I got home about 7:15 (having stopped at the shop again). So, by going via the tunnel I saved at least 10 minutes versus yesterday's route, and only lost 10-15 mins against my usual no-closures commute. Once again, though, I shudder to think how much longer I would have been if I had just joined the left lane queue.

So, fellow Boardsies, if you want to save some time, don't be one of the 95%. Stay in the right lane until it closes and then merge. You don't have to queue in the left lane from the advance notice sign.

(ps last year, when the other stretch closer to Bunratty was closed, I also noticed the same tendency for 95% of drivers to queue in the left lane)

The "back road" near the Radisson was never closed- they were doing resurfacing on parts last week and this is now finished.

I guess the guy who turned me back only hired a digger, orange clothes, signs and barriers for a laugh then...:pac:

• Advertisement

My usual commute home is Shannon Bridge, Condell Road, and then out to the N18 via the Coonagh/Clondrinagh/Meelick/etc roundabouts. I usually get home to Ennis at 7 or a couple of minutes after.

Last night, about 400m (1/4 mile) before I had even reached the last roundabout at the Radisson (is that one the Clondrinagh one? - I can never remember which one is which!), the traffic was backed up in the left lane, and the right lane was completely clear.

I decided to nip up the right lane and take the road by the Radisson. Despite what HighlyD has said, there is a 'Road Closed' sign on the entrance to that road. So I turned back in towards Limerick, went left at the next roundabout (Meelick roundabout?) and then went cross country. I went up some roads with grass running up the centre, through a forest, and eventually found my way back to the N18 at Junction 5.

I forgot to check my watch when I got home (and I had also stopped at the shop), so I don't know how much longer I took to get home, but I reckon it was about 25-30 minutes after normal. I hate to think how much longer I would have been if I had just joined the queue in the left lane.

Tonight, I tried a different tack. I went out the Dock Road and through the tunnel. Even when approaching from there, there was a queue in the left hand lane from about 6-800m before the merge. However, the right lane was completely clear, so I stayed in it. At the merge, a solid line of traffic was trying to merge into another solid line of traffic, and both were suffering as a result. However, the right lane was still almost completely clear.

Just after the merge, there is an advance warning sign to say that one lane is closed, 800m further on. For some strange unfathomable reason, 95% of drivers seem to think that this sign means they have to stay in the left lane. It doesn't. It's just an advance warning. So I continued to sail past all of these drivers that were stuck in the left lane until I got to the point where the right lane closure actually begins, at which point I merely indicated left and merged in. I had overtaken - perfectly legally - about a mile worth of almost stationary traffic.

The actual bit that's down to one lane lasts from there until just before J5. Once you get into it, the traffic moves quite nicely through it, at about 50km/h.

Tonight I got home about 7:15 (having stopped at the shop again). So, by going via the tunnel I saved at least 10 minutes versus yesterday's route, and only lost 10-15 mins against my usual no-closures commute. Once again, though, I shudder to think how much longer I would have been if I had just joined the left lane queue.

So, fellow Boardsies, if you want to save some time, not be one of the 95%. Stay in the right lane until it closes and then merge. You don't have to queue in the left lane from the advance notice sign.

(ps last year, when the other stretch closer to Bunratty was closed, I also noticed the same tendency for 95% of drivers to queue in the left lane)

I will NEVER understand how people merge here.

Germany:
    Two lanes of traffic approach point of merge, where they will merge in a zipper fashion, left car, right car, left car, right car, etc... it looks like extremely well choreographed ballet, which it is.
    Ireland:
    Merging lanes, 2 km ahead. EVERYBODY piles into left lane.
    Well, almost everybody.
    Some people know that this is no way to merge, so stay on on right and want to merge at the correct point. People in the left are wise to this and hold everyone up with a game of "jaysus, I'm not letting that bastid merge!". Other people merge at random points (without indicator or looking, of course) and others want to gain an extra 5 seconds by trying to merge about 50 meters after the merge point by trying to drive over grass, through barriers and through cars.
    Then they are the road warriors, 500 meters before the merge point they move out into the empty outside lane and block traffic. Games of dodgem's and chicken ensue.
    All this is usually accompanied by flashing lights, horns, hand signals and some choice words.
    To the untrained eye it looks like a giant car crash in slow motion, with no apparent organisation, plan or goal. And that's exactly what it is.

Some people know that this is no way to merge, so stay on on right and want to merge at the correct point ...

That's me!
    And by the sounds of it, you too.

Germany:
    Two lanes of traffic approach point of merge, where they will merge in a zipper fashion, left car, right car, left car, right car, etc... it looks like extremely well choreographed ballet, which it is.

Other differences:

In Germany (where it's pretty phcuking vital due to the speeds on the Autobahns), everybody actually understands the "stay in the right-most available lane unless you're actually overtaking something and move back into it when you're finished overtaking" rule.
    In Ireland, it has taken us a couple of decades for most drivers to even begin to grasp the concept (except of course it's "left" here, not "right") as it applies to two lane roads. However, that all goes out the window as soon as you arrive at Naas driving E on the N7, where everybody thinks the middle lane is the one you're supposed to stay in.

There's an unwritten rule on German roads. When you're changing lanes, you indicate and wait for at least three flashes of your indicators before maneuvering.
    In Ireland, indicators seem to be considered optional at virtually all times, especially when changing lanes.

Then there was the man I saw on my way home a couple of weeks ago. He was driving a brand new Honda with stickers on the doors, so I reckon he was a salesman or something from Sheils' garage on his way home. He was coming towards the city, but at the first roundabout E of Sheils' he went the whole way round to head W. I was heading W and approaching the same roundabout. I noticed his lack of indicator, so assumed he was heading into the city. Some instinct for self-preservation, though, convinced me to wait to see what he actually was doing before driving onto the roundabout, or else there would certainly have been a crash.
    I was then behind him for a few miles, and he didn't indicate once. Not when leaving any of the roundabouts. Not when merging on the N18. And not for any of his lane-changing maneuvers on the N18 either. Not that there was many of them, naturally. He's one of those guys who doesn't believe in the left lane rule either.

That's me!
    And by the sounds of it, you too.

For some strange reason I actually pile into the left lane, I'd feel embarrassed trying to nudge my way in at the top, even though I know it would be the correct thing to do! :o:(

For some strange reason I actually pile into the left lane, I'd feel embarrassed trying to nudge my way in at the top, even though I know it would be the correct thing to do! :o:(

Ah, c'mon, Doc, you need to act with the courage of your convictions!

"Road Closed" sign gone from the Radisson road.
    Then, lo & behold, all the cones on the N18 gone too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

So are the roadworks finished today? I don't want to get stuck I'll be hitting rush hour traffic when I get to limerick.

"Road Closed" sign gone from the Radisson road.
    Then, lo & behold, all the cones on the N18 gone too!

Pure trolling by whoever organised the roadworks, so.

Jhcx wrote: »
    So are the roadworks finished today? I don't want to get stuck I'll be hitting rush hour traffic when I get to limerick.

Yeah, the "roadworks" appear to be done. The traffic cones are gone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I'd say they were doing the grass. Since the new agency formed doing loads of road works that don't need doing. Always at 4/5 am

• Advertisement

Yeah, the "roadworks" appear to be done. The traffic cones are gone anyway.

Don't you know that traffic cones need to be aired out regularly? ;)

Advertisement