Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd world broadband at 1st world prices (need ISP suggestions Lahinch Rd)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pout06

ok it's better that nothing,
    thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I find the best way to get an accurate idea of the quality of broadband in a premises is to get a phone number as close as possible to it and enter that into 1 of the broadband checkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

CptSternn wrote: »
    I have mates who live out that way near the petrol station on the Lahinch Road. Same story. They had Vodafone then Eircom promised them the world so they switched...no speed increase. On a good day they get 8 meg of the 24 meg package, other days it can be 4 megs.

They rang a few times and complained that they didn't get the 24 promised when they switched. Eircom made excuses.

Then, true story, a month ago Sky came through and offered them Sky broadband (also via phone line / DSL) and they switched over to Sky high speed broadband. Guess what? 8 megs on a good day, 4 megs most of the time though.

So there are many options and each place will tell you they offer 24 megs or more but the reality is the lines there just don't support it yet.

No provider will promise 24mbps. All the blurb and CS agents will only mention UP TO 24mbps. And as you have listed, the customer will be lucky to get a quarter of that. But its a disgrace that Eircom are dragging their heels in providing efibre out that road:(.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Clareman wrote: »
    I find the best way to get an accurate idea of the quality of broadband in a premises is to get a phone number as close as possible to it and enter that into 1 of the broadband checkers.

There used to be a way in accurately finding the line speed on the Eircom website, although now I find ringing Eircom/Vodafone and asking them for a line test.
    No provider will promise 24mbps. All the blurb and CS agents will only mention UP TO 24mbps. And as you have listed, the customer will be lucky to get a quarter of that. But its a disgrace that Eircom are dragging their heels in providing efibre out that roadfrown.png.

I know a line in Ennistymon that gets 24Mbps from the exchange, speed test comes at around 20Mbps, although very near the exchange so it seems.

I get 17Mbps from the exchange (speed test showing consistently around 14Mbps), that is approximately 1km from the exchange judging by the noise on the line. To be fair, most people don't ask for the provider to change the profile. Vodafone at Home put customers on the 7/8Mbps profile, whereas the line could probably support more than that. All lines are different and there are a lot of factors to take into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I'm with pure telecom in central Ennis town. 41.50 a month for fibre optic 100mb unlimited connection. I think its 60-65 with home phone and you get so many free calls, like 1000 minutes or something a month. I get billed every 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

killanena wrote: »
    I'm with pure telecom in central Ennis town. 41.50 a month for fibre optic 100mb unlimited connection. I think its 60-65 with home phone and you get so many free calls, like 1000 minutes or something a month. I get billed every 2 months.

Pure Telecom are just another reseller of Eircom's infrastructure aren't they?

Advertisement