Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God damn laptop keys.

Options
  • 25-08-2012 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Some little piece of crap got jammed underneath one of the keys and me in all my genius decided it would be a great idea to pull the key off. In trying to figure out how to get the damn ting back on (as it ended up in three pieces) I had another brainwave. Pull off another one and see what way that one is. So off I goes and pulls off another one, which came off in two pieces.

Deciding it was best not to keep trying to get the perfect model as I'd more than likely end up with a laptop with no keys on it I fitted them together as best I could. Looked like they would do the job and set about getting them back onto the laptop. Hours and many tantrums later I have made zero progress. But not only that, I have broken the little catches on the thing that holds the keep to the laptop.

So I am now missing two keys, one which I cant get back on and another which I have made sure wont go back on. Can these keys be bought easily or are they specific to laptop models ? What the fcuk do I do now ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I doubt, you'd get single keys, springs and clips. Manufacturers will happily sell you a replacement keyboard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Torqay wrote: »
    I doubt, you'd get single keys, springs and clips. Manufacturers will happily sell you a replacement keyboard though.

I just had a look at an old sony laptop and the things look the same. All I need it the little plastic lads from a laptop key. Just a matter of spending another few hours slowly going mental trying to get them onto the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Scioch wrote: »
    I just had a look at an old sony laptop and the things look the same. All I need it the little plastic lads from a laptop key. Just a matter of spending another few hours slowly going mental trying to get them onto the thing.
    a few hours at [your wage]

compared to the cost of anew keyboard.

lost hair added in too.

worth it?

Overheal wrote: »
    a few hours at [your wage]

compared to the cost of anew keyboard.

lost hair added in too.

worth it?

Depends on how much a laptop keyboard is and how easy it is to get. I just assumed it would be hard to find and would cost a bit so a couple hours struggling and a few hairs might be my best bet.

I'm unemployed too by the way so my time is very very cheap. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Torqay wrote: »

http://www.laptopkey.com/

There are plenty of guides on the net on how to put keys back on, Google your laptop model number and you'll find a guide. What model is it?

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    http://www.laptopkey.com/

There are plenty of guides on the net on how to put keys back on, Google your laptop model number and you'll find a guide. What model is it?

Laptop is a Samsung RV510. There's plenty of guides but hard to find one to follow. A lot of them link to stupid youtube clips of some kid in a bedroom with a shaky camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Laptop is a Samsung RV510. There's plenty of guides but hard to find one to follow. A lot of them link to stupid youtube clips of some kid in a bedroom with a shaky camera.

I'd say a keyboard on ebay would be cheaper and less hassle then individual keys

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'd say a keyboard on ebay would be cheaper and less hassle then individual keys

That old sony I found had the same little plastic things. After a brief struggle I managed to get them on. One key though is at a tiny bit of a angle and doesnt bounce back as the rest do. Little annoying as it feels dead or something but it works !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

That old sony I found had the same little plastic things. After a brief struggle I managed to get them on. One key though is at a tiny bit of a angle and doesnt bounce back as the rest do. Little annoying as it feels dead or something but it works !!!

Yeah but I bet it'll niggle you forever :D

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yeah but I bet it'll niggle you forever :D

Porbably, its also the semi colon key and I'm starting a computing course in two weeks. If I'm doing java I'll either get used to if fast or have a mental breakdown. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement