Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Mobile (Ireland)

Options
  • 01-10-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭

At this morning's launch in the RDS, Richard Branson has told the press and guests that all Virgin (formerly UPC) customers will receive a free, 3 month pass to use Virgin Mobile.

Their website has stated that Virgin Mobile is to launch on October 5th 2015.

2ebnOQM.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Are thye launching a service to non virgin (upc) customers and what network are they working off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I've not got exact details, but it would appear that new customers will have access to the network- maybe for a higher price. Existing customers will no doubt be offered bundles, like those from Eir.

Virgin Mobile will be running from the Three Ireland network. MVNOs (Virgin (UPC) Mobile and iD) were established as a direct result of competition rules following the buyout of O2 Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

I've not got exact details, but it would appear that new customers will have access to the network- maybe for a higher price. Existing customers will no doubt be offered bundles, like those from Eir.

Virgin Mobile will be running from the Three Ireland network. MVNOs (Virgin (UPC) Mobile and iD) were established as a direct result of competition rules following the buyout of O2 Ireland.

They are going to put half a million free-riding customers on the already crippled Three network. It will melt-down completely. Marketing nuts gone mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bugfreebob wrote: »
    They are going to put half a million free-riding customers on the already crippled Three network. It will melt-down completely. Marketing nuts gone mad!

They don't create 500k people. Branson isnt going to knock up all the women in cork.

Users that take up Virgin will be coming from other networks. Some will be meteor and vodafone, but more will likely come from ID/48/Tesco/Three/Bleuface/Lyca who wont increase network load at all as its just a re-badging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm with Three at the moment but if Virgin include voicemail and calls to lo-call numbers as part of the allowance, I'd consider moving when my contract is up.

• Advertisement

I'm currently adding the pricing to moolamonkey.com, but the site has crashed. That said, here's the pricing:

1GB Data
    10,000 minutes 250 minutes
    10,000 SMS 250 SMS
    €15 for existing customers, €20 for new customers
    This was changed from the previous number on the website. It reflected the different figures before 9am.

30GB Data
    10,000 minutes
    10,000 SMS
    €25 for existing customers, €30 for new customers

An international bundle is available for all at €5 extra each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I'm currently adding the pricing to moolamonkey.com, but the site has crashed. That said, here's the pricing:

1GB Data
    10,000 minutes
    10,000 SMS
    €15 for existing customers, €20 for new customers

30GB Data
    10,000 minutes
    10,000 SMS
    €25 for existing customers, €30 for new customers

An international bundle is available for all at €5 extra each.

The cheaper package 250 mins and 250 SMS.

see attached image.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Website updated with some pricing details: https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/mobile/

Doesn't seem all that great to me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No tethering allowed which is a pity. And it looks like 1850/1890 numbers aren't included so it'll cost extra to ring lo-call numbers

Stokolan wrote: »
    The cheaper package 250 mins and 250 SMS.

see attached image.
    This was different early this morning and was since changed.
    I've updated all threads posted and the site.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Looks like I'll still be sticking with tesco €15 payg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

Does anyone know what LTE Band Virgin will be using when they launch their 4G?

They'll be using the same bands as Three.

They'll be using the same bands as Three.

Three use the 800 and 1800 LTE bands, but according to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057504438 they are letting IDMobile use the 800 band only. My phone can access the 1800 band but not the 800. So if I switch to ID it seems I wont be able to get 4G. That's why I was wondering does anyone know if Virgin will also get the 800 only, or both

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Three use the 800 and 1800 LTE bands, but according to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057504438 they are letting IDMobile use the 800 band only. My phone can access the 1800 band but not the 800. So if I switch to ID it seems I wont be able to get 4G. That's why I was wondering does anyone know if Virgin will also get the 800 only, or both

Are Three using the 800 band already? Indoor 4G coverage seems very poor - I thought they were still on 1800 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Bob24 wrote: »
    Are Three using the 800 band already? Indoor 4G coverage seems very poor - I thought they were still on 1800 only.

Yep they have also done this in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

People are assuming that Tesco and and the other Three MVNO's coverage is the same, which isn't really the case.

Tesco, 48 and Lycamobile exclusively use the old O2 network, while ID and Virgin Mobile use the original Three network. So this will affect coverage.

What's probably happening in your case is that the local ex-O2 cell was OK but the Three cell is oversubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I just got the Virgin Mobile SIM yesterday and ran the speed test app on my Tesco mobile and the Virgin mobile right next to each other (old iphone and new iphone) at the same time.

Test 1:
    Tesco: Ping 69ms - Download 2.35mbps - Upload 0.85mbps
    Virgin: Ping 100ms - Download 0.85mbps - Upload 0.29mbps

Test 2:
    Tesco: Ping 68ms - Download 5.63mbps - Upload 1.16mbps
    Virgin: Ping 97ms- Download 2.11mbps - Upload 0.43mbps

Test 3:
    Tesco: Ping 59ms - Download 3.72mbps - Upload 0.74mbps
    Virgin: Ping 136ms- Download 1.77mbps - Upload 0.37mbps

I was going to port over my Tesco number (my primary number) and switch over but the internet speeds seem dire. I think I'll return it under the cooling off period, it's not worth the 3 months free.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Does anyone know what bands / mhz virgin mobile use? Thinking of porting from eir (formally eMobile) to bring all my bills into one.
    Anyone move from Meteor/eMobile to Virgin Mobile? How have they found it?

• Advertisement

Three Ireland use Band 3 (1800MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), and since the acquisition of O2, they also get to use Band 20 (800MHz).
    I would assume that Virgin is using the former two bands.

Does anyone know what bands / mhz virgin mobile use? Thinking of porting from eir (formally eMobile) to bring all my bills into one.
    Anyone move from Meteor/eMobile to Virgin Mobile? How have they found it?

Switched from eMobile to VM about 10 days ago. VM had an outage one day last week that meant no calls, no texts, no data for several hours. That never happened once in over 2 years with eMobile. Apart from that don't really notice much difference except now have 30Gb of data. Whatever about quality, eMobile just couldnt compete on price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Changed a week ago from Meteor next day delivery of Sim and quick porting.

Tested for over a week and results where very poor roaming at home on edge data where my work phone was getting 3 bars of 3G on three network so obviously using 02 old masts in my area.

Same goes for work lack of service and changing to roaming and dropping calls.

On the whole whilst it's a great offer coverage is poor.

Changed back to meteor sim only 30 day
    4G, HD Voice,unlimited calls and texts 10gb data (double for 6months) €24.

So unless your going to use 30gb of data a month when you get coverage! I would shop around.

It is also separate from your main virgin account & it's direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bo Mulligan

I signed up in October and the signal has been fine for calls and data.

However, when I signed up the guy said he would 'throw in another sim card. in case anybody wanted it.' so that was fine I never opened it, as I never wanted it in the first place and now, 3 months later, theyre suddenly billing me for that sim card! It was never taken out of the pack.

I'm in the middle of email discussions with them but they don't seem to be budging. VERY unfair as your man was so blasée about it all.

Im not putting this up to rant but to warn others about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I signed up in October and the signal has been fine for calls and data.

However, when I signed up the guy said he would 'throw in another sim card. in case anybody wanted it.' so that was fine I never opened it, as I never wanted it in the first place and now, 3 months later, theyre suddenly billing me for that sim card! It was never taken out of the pack.

I'm in the middle of email discussions with them but they don't seem to be budging. VERY unfair as your man was so blasée about it all.

Im not putting this up to rant but to warn others about it.

I cancelled my two SIM cards with them before the three months and because of the time, they were free.

However, I was in the exact spot as you. I signed up and the guy who sold me the SIM was so pushy about taking a second 'free' SIM. I said I didn't need one a number of times and he kept at me saying 'sure give it to someone else', 'its a free sim', 'nothing to lose' etc. I just gave in and said I'd cancel it.

Completely forgot about it and when I cancelled both SIMs I was just inside the window so both were free. I didn't know this fact at the time so I asked the customer service rep, will I have to pay any extra days for the SIM I never used and his absolute smart @rse response was "well if you buy two jumpers in a shop and don't use one, you still have to pay for it, do you know what I mean?" I had a bit of a go and said I never wanted it in the first place but like yourself they refused to budge. Luckily, as I said, I just cancelled in time.

But it's a good shout to warn others about it, as it's so sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Three Ireland use Band 3 (1800MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), and since the acquisition of O2, they also get to use Band 20 (800MHz).
    I would assume that Virgin is using the former two bands.

Three own two networks at the moment: (*hat tip to Karsini*)

272-02: (old o2)
    Tesco
    Lyca

272-05: (Three's main)
    VM
    iD

So VM should be faster as its on the network thats had investment/development but is probably losing out in some areas as the Three customer base is hogging the hell out of their network.

Advertisement