Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor bill pay phone sim in broadband dongle

Options
  • 26-09-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a bill pay phone with a decent internet allowance with meteor.

Could I just lash this sim into a broadband dongle to get internet on my laptop?

I tried to connect through a usb cable to my phone, but apparently i need at least GPRS to do that. (I need to get internet in pretty dodgey areas, even if it is dirt slow). Would a dongle help in this situation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

Not really. There's nothing you can do with a dongle that you cant do with a phone. It will pick up the same network coverage as a phone give or take (depending whether the phone is 3G or HSPA enabled). I'm not sure by what you mean when you say you only get GPRS? If this means your only picking up GPRS on the phone when connected your going to get exactly the same on the dongle.

The major benefit of the dongle is that you get a broadband sim card with special charging (it's a lot cheaper to use data over the course of the month because you can avail of a 30 day pass). You don't have the benefit of this with a phone sim and will have to pay 2c per KB up to 99c and then 2c per KB once you exceed 50 MB. I cant see any benefit to doing so but if you wanted to use a phone sim in the dongle just go into the broadband software on your PC and change the APN to data.mymeteor.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

I changed over yesterday from Vodafone to 3 for the 20pm deal on the phone. As you say folks, I thought I could use this deal with the 3 dongle on my laptop, but now I will need to pay 20pm for the dongle and 20pm for the phone, so I was "chatting" with an online alien who kept referring me to the T+C's.
    I did.
    I am not allowed to tether my sim with another device or my account will be suspended.
    My question is, how can they tell if I'm using the sim in the laptop dongle or the phone, or can they monitor that, or is it just a scare tactic to put people off doing it?
    Also if they did suspend the account and told me I breached the T+C's because I had to click the "yes I agree" well I wasn't aware, because it was the "agent" in the shop who set it up for me, and they should have asked me if I understood the T+C's.
    Right?
    Cheers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Seems like the worst that could happen is....
    1.That you get cut off (as its pay as you go),
    2. You phone them up and say that you didn't understand and you are reconnected again?

I would say that if it connects then your golden. Doubt they have people cross checking the imei of the units that the sim goes into.
    I did exactly what you did with a tesco mobile, you will need to manually configure the apn for the mobile sim as it will be configured for a data sim. You log into the modem using a browser usually using the password admin and user as admin. Tesco mobile didn't care that it was a mobile dongle and that I was tethering. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

I would say that if it connects then your golden.

Sorted mate thank you. Much better advice than the bloke in Outer Mongolia. :D :cool:

Advertisement