Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any charities take old printers, laptops, mobile phones etc.

Options
  • 29-07-2015 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

I have an old printer, two laptops and a few mobile phones to get rid of.
    Jack and Jill used to take all of this type of stuff, but they seem to have stopped.
    Rather than just dumping them in the nearest WEEE skip, if some charity could make some money from them, I would be happy to donate.

Does anybody know of charities that collect old printers, laptops, phones etc.??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

This crowd accept equipment : Camara

You definitely want them to wipe your hard drives, phones etc.
    So someone can't recover old data you had on the PC, potentially sensitive stuff like e-mails, bank details, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

Thanks for that.
    I called them and they will take the laptops, but no interest in the printer.
    Do printers just go to WEEE centres or is there any charity that will make use of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Jack and Jill take mobile phones

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Personal printers are a money sink when you count in ink, businesses/charities won't want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

ED E wrote: »
    Personal printers are a money sink when you count in ink, businesses/charities won't want them.

I wasn't thinking of them reusing them directly (it is old and not really working). I was wondering if there is any valuable metal etc. in it that a charity can get money for. I presume Jack and Jill are not reusing the mobile phones they get, but just selling them for the expensive metals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CarPark2 wrote: »
    I presume Jack and Jill are not reusing the mobile phones they get, but just selling them for the expensive metals.

There's sod all precious metals in mobile phones. AFAIK Jack and Jill refurbish the phones and sell them on to third world countries.

Advertisement