Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route & venue planning for charity cycle

Options
  • 23-09-2013 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm trying to organise a charity cycle and family fun day for next summer. I envisage it to be similar to the Leinster loop but on a smaller scale (approx 300-500 cyclists)
    There will likely be 3 routes to chose from. Ranging from about 10k to about 60k.
    I need to identify a start/finish venue before applying for permission from the applicable local co council.
    I'd like it to be reasonably close to Dublin. I have considered both Skerries and Maynooth as possibilities.
    There would need to be suitable routes and roads to map the routes.
    I have zero experience in such matters.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers
    Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Hey Barry

I would start looking at the thread on the leinster loop and their website as that was a well organised event. 60K for the long route sounds a bit short, but i guess it depends on who you are targeting. Most Sportives tend to have a 100K+ route i.e. the leinster loop, an post cycles, wicklow 200, orwell randonne etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey Barry,

We just did one at the weekend it involved a 13k, 50k and 100k. The amount of planning that goes into it is huge.

You need a permit from gaurds
    You need permission from county council for signage for before the event and route signage(try not to cross boundaies we did 3 counties and each one has different requirements :rolleyes:)
    Insurance
    Volunteers: At centre, Marshalls on the route, Lead cars and rear cars, Van to pick up cyclists who drop out or something happens bike.
    Red cross/St. Johns ambulance
    Sponsors: Bread, fruit, water, tea, coffee, burco boilers etc
    Toilet facilities: Where you plan on there being a food stop ideally

As much as possible try to take nothing for granted. You think people would know there limits but they dont. For example one year we had somebody take 8 hrs to do the 100k and refused point blank to get off the bike. At weekend it took somebody 7 hrs to do the 50k!!!! And i mean no offence but should try thinking like people have no cop on. They will get lost and ignore marshalls.

If any questions ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Agree about the longer route. 60k probably a bit short. Even if you got to 80/90k you would probably attract more. Think about a "figure of 8" for your routes so that you can possibly have just one point for food and water. Get plenty of people to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

Thanks for the tips guys. I was gonna leave it at 50 while we find our feet. But I guess adding extra route wouldn't be a huge task. (On the grand scale of things)
    I'm strongly considering Ashbourne, co Meath as a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

afishyfish wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips guys. I was gonna leave it at 50 while we find our feet. But I guess adding extra route wouldn't be a huge task. (On the grand scale of things)
    I'm strongly considering Ashbourne, co Meath as a venue.

I'm in so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

Hey guys. By way of update, here is where I'm at with this...
    Www.cycleataxia.ie

Also, please like my page on Facebook.
    Facebook.com/cycleataxia

Cheers.
    Barry

Advertisement