Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount St. Lawrence Cemetery Listings Limerick

Options
  • 17-05-2015 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I found a death notice for William Hartigan who died 1928 and it stated that that he was interred in Mt. St. Lawrence. He does not appear to be listed. However, as I was also looking for his wife, Nora/Hanora I came across a probable burial record for her in 1925. Age is slightly off, 4 yrs older than she was. Unfortunately, I was unable to find her death notice on INA but I am fairly sure that she was dead before him.

So why is he not listed? Are the listings complete or has the record been omitted or mis-transcribed?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Afaik, they are complete so you're probably looking at a mistranscription.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Tks Pinky, I have searched with just the year of burial only, Hartigan only, etc. I also searched using the same Long/Lat as that for Nora Hartigan in 1925 - that only shows 2 other names that I know nothing of.

They had no children and spent much of their married life in the USA so little was known about them until I started researching:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

montgo wrote: »
    Tks Pinky, I have searched with just the year of burial only, Hartigan only, etc. I also searched using the same Long/Lat as that for Nora Hartigan in 1925 - that only shows 2 other names that I know nothing of.

They had no children and spent much of their married life in the USA so little was known about them until I started researching:)

I'd widen it out. Was he possibly buried in the next year? Check every Hartigan burial in the whole place, etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I have family buried there and what I think they have done is just noted the first name on the stone and given the location reference. I've checked out couples and only found a mention of one of them.

So, if my theory is correct, if she died before him, her name would be first and she would only be listed.

Thanks Bicycle. That could account for the missing record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Hi,
    I found a death notice for William Hartigan who died 1928 and it stated that that he was interred in Mt. St. Lawrence. He does not appear to be listed. However, as I was also looking for his wife, Nora/Hanora I came across a probable burial record for her in 1925. Age is slightly off, 4 yrs older than she was. Unfortunately, I was unable to find her death notice on INA but I am fairly sure that she was dead before him.

So why is he not listed? Are the listings complete or has the record been omitted or mis-transcribed?

Have a look at my previous post from August 2013 regarding database omissions.

The 1928 database is still only showing 146 records (i.e. January to March 10th) for that year.

I estimated from the scanned registers that there should be 605 records for 1928.

I emailed the good people at the Limerick Archives and they said that they would check the issue.

Alas, it has not been rectified yet. :o

Hi "Brennans Row"

Tks for that info. If only 25% of burials were recorded for that year, then would explain why William was not listed.

I had a look at the scanned registers (part 38) for William Hartigan.

A William Hartigan aged 84 years was buried on the 21 April 1928 (Grave 153 E)
    A Honora Hartigan aged 90 years was buried on the 5 March 1925 (Grave 154 E)

Many, many thanks for the image and taking the time to look for it.

Are the scanned images available online in case I have others to look up?

Many, many thanks for the image and taking the time to look for it.

Are the scanned images available online in case I have others to look up?
    You are welcome and I was very lucky with William Hartigan as he was the very first record!

The scanned digital documents can be viewed here. (see Book Two - Part Thirty Eight)

I found Honora Hartigan via the search register.

I found no grave marker on the search map.

• Advertisement
Advertisement