Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clondalkin Genealogy Group

• 21-05-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All

I've just discovered this group. They meet the 3rd Thursday of every month 6.30-8pm. An informal group discussing and helping each other with their Genealogy search. Tonight there was a talk given by John Grenham on new and upcoming online resources. Next month they are going to have someone from the Military Archives giving a talk.

This takes place in Clondalkin Library. The Library has a Facebook page where they publish upcoming events.

Robyn15

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Best of luck with that. I may contact them sometime as I have one or two links with Clondalkin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Robyn15 wrote: »
    Hi All

I've just discovered this group. They meet the 3rd Thursday of every month 6.30-8pm. An informal group discussing and helping each other with their Genealogy search. Tonight there was a talk given by John Grenham on new and upcoming online resources. Next month they are going to have someone from the Military Archives giving a talk.

This takes place in Clondalkin Library. The Library has a Facebook page where they publish upcoming events.

Robyn15

That must have been something. Mr. Grenham is Mr. Genealogy. Other than the church records going up in July, did he flag any other resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Robyn15

He gave us a demo of the new NLI system, seems very user-friendly. As a result of this upcoming release Rootsireland are continuing to add more parish records.

He says that the NAI are currently digitising the hand-written surveys from the 1840s - Griffiths Valuation came from this source.

The Valuation Office are digitising some counties of post-Griffiths updates, to be viewed in the Valuation office.

The 5 year exclusive that findmypast had on some records are now up, so they should revert to the NAI.

He highly recommends swilson.info for Maps and Directories.

He recommends britishnewspaperarchives, (paid site) They have all Irish newspapers from 1828 to 1922, not all online yet.

That's all I can think of at the moment - forgot to bring a pen :(.

Robyn15

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Nice plug for our Shane!

I'm really quite disappointed to hear that he's able to demo the NLI parish website system offsite. If it's that ready to go, why are we being made wait another 6 weeks?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Pinkypinky , Sorry if I gave the impression that he was able to access the online version. I think what he showed us were screen shots of when he has access recently. He did say it was on track for the 8th July release.

Robyn15

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's for clarifying.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Robyn15, would you think, like myself, that Mr. Genealogy, viz., John Grenham (all hail the master) perhaps should plug in a mouse to his laptop next time he gives a talk? :)

Were your there Jellybaby1?
    I think the laptop belonged to the library - I thought that maybe he was unfamiliar with it? But yes he would have had more control with a mouse. However the red velvet cake and tea afterwards made up for it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

T'was fab all right! Nice group. Heard about the Grenham talk at the last minute and managed to make it.

Advertisement