Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSI online historic maps not available

Options
  • 14-05-2015 10:20am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The historic maps at OSI.ie aren't currently available.
    Does anyone know why or if they'll be back?
    I hope so as they're a great resource.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hermy wrote:
    The historic maps at OSI.ie aren't currently available. Does anyone know why or if they'll be back? I hope so as they're a great resource.

Site maintenance Hermy, they'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

they are partly back - less the Aerial and historic layers. Another update is due tomorrow..

http://www.osi.ie/About-Us/System-Down.aspx

p.s. the current maps seem more detailed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Hermy wrote: »
    The historic maps at OSI.ie aren't currently available.
    Does anyone know why or if they'll be back?
    I hope so as they're a great resource.

Historic maps are all back now.
    The main modern day map is much more detailed - showing down to the position of man hole covers! :)

“Roll it back”

looks like they filled in a few of the gaps on the historic maps also

working fine on Chrome and IE - keep getting an 'Event not defined' error in FF, even after hard refresh and cookie clearing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Server Issue:ReferenceError: event is not defined

Not quite there yet for me.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Not quite there yet for me.:(

working fine for me now in Chrome,IE & Firefox :cool:

“Roll it back”

Working fine now.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

shanew wrote: »
    looks like they filled in a few of the gaps on the historic maps also

There's a large chunk of Cobh still missing alas.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

Working fine now.:)

working in FireFox now for me too

The 6" maps seem much more detailed for counties in Northern Ireland - they were included before but in many cases you could not zoom in as far as for other counties, but the 25" maps dont seem to cover any on N.I. - there was some coverage before.

The zoom parameter changed at little, so for best zoom on 6" now is 11, was 7 before, so if anyone has any links they might need to update them to suit.

shanew wrote: »
    The zoom parameter changed at little, so for best zoom on 6" now is 11, was 7 before, so if anyone has any links they might need to update them to suit.

you dont have to update your links any more - very neat redirect in place to do that for you

The coverage of the 6" maps has improved, was always good before but for some areas it was not possible to zoom in to the full detail level. Every one of the chapel locations I've checked out so far where I had marked down as 'max zoom not available' now has full zoom available..

• Advertisement

There's a large chunk of Cobh still missing alas.:(

Just had a call from OSI to say they found the missing image for Cobh which is soon to be uploaded and it is one of a number of issues they hope to address in the coming weeks.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

I hope you will all excuse me popping up again, but two questions occur to me:
    - When was the "Cassini" survey performed? Was it a separate survey? Years ago I read multiple books and articles on the history of mapping in Ireland, and the Ordnance Survey of Ireland in particular (most by J.H. Andrews), and don't recall any mention of this particular survey. [Andrew's book, "A Paper Landscape" is wonderful!]
    - What is the purpose of the new "GeoHive" site? Previously it was easy to just go to OSI. The pessimist in me wonders if this is a prelude to making this a pay-per-view type of situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kildarejohn

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

- What is the purpose of the new "GeoHive" site? Previously it was easy to just go to OSI. The pessimist in me wonders if this is a prelude to making this a pay-per-view type of situation....

The concept of the GeoHive site is to bring in data from other organisations as well as the OSi data. All public bodies with GIS Data can publish their datasets to the GeoGive site eg MyPlan data, flood data, conservation & heritage datasets etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can still just go straight to http://maps.osi.ie for the old interface ... for the time being anyway.

Advertisement