Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Officer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sovvys were just basically diet Galaxy class ships. The Enterprise-E would have kicked arse in the war! If Sisko made one tiny reference to the Enterprise-E winning a battle, I'd be happy. DS9 really dropped the ball there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Sovvys were just basically diet Galaxy class ships. The Enterprise-E would have kicked arse in the war! If Sisko made one tiny reference to the Enterprise-E winning a battle, I'd be happy. DS9 really dropped the ball there.

But it's just one ship among many.

One of things that made ds9 great was the way it suggested a huge and diverse galaxy.

Parachuting in characters from tng to help ailing ratIngs was bad enough. Episodes based around them or shoehorned references would have been awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Episodes based around them or shoehorned references would have been awful.

A two-parter featuring the Enterprise-E & co with the crew of DS9 would have kicked bottom if done correctly. There's many many possibilities that would have been really good, to blanket them all as 'would have been awful' isn't really fair.

But it's just one ship among many.

One of things that made ds9 great was the way it suggested a huge and diverse galaxy.

Parachuting in characters from tng to help ailing ratIngs was bad enough. Episodes based around them or shoehorned references would have been awful.

It's not one ship, it's the flagship. The most advanced ship in the fleet. And DS9 suggesting a huge galaxy? Oh let's see there's a fleet blocking the way to DS9..let's go around it?

I'm not suggesting they should of brought the TNG crew in, I imagine they didn't want TNG stepping on their shoes, but the Trekkie in me wants to believe Picard and co actually did something during the war. I know they tried to get the TNG crew back for Worfs wedding, and they could only get Beverly and LaForge, so they decided all or nothing.

EnterNow wrote: »
    A two-parter featuring the Enterprise-E & co with the crew of DS9 would have kicked bottom if done correctly. There's many many possibilities that would have been really good, to blanket them all as 'would have been awful' isn't really fair.

I never got Insurrection. Why didn't they combine the TNG/DS9 crews? The Enterprise-E rescuing Betazed from the Dominion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I never got Insurrection. Why didn't they combine the TNG/DS9 crews? The Enterprise-E rescuing Betazed from the Dominion..

Even if not involving the DS9 crew, why did we have films that seemed to completely ignore the Dominion war? A few mentions is all it got yet the entire known Alpha/Beta quads were in bits due to it

Even if not involving the DS9 crew, why did we have films that seemed to completely ignore the Dominion war? A few mentions is all it got yet the entire known Alpha/Beta quads were in bits due to it

I suppose The Dominion War was DS9's baby. They were probably thinking that if going to the bother of making a film, why not explore something new....& they gave us Insurrection & Nemesis. God they were bad films, this kind of sh1te is truly unforgivable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I think Spock was by far the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I don't see how the Pegasus issue can hold a torch up against what Riker did with the Borg.

He's the most well rounded FO and I loved the many ridiculous faces the character pulled in the many TNG episodes. He pretty much defined what viewers came to expect from an FO in Trek if you ask me.

Second to Riker is T'Pol IMO just for the complexity of her character and the inherent conflict of her role.

It's hard to think of Kira as an FO. Her character should have been much more T'Pol-esque. She never performed any of the typical FO duties. I can't ever remember her leading an away team, or credibly taking command in the Captain's absence and actually resolving a situation. She didn't act as an intermediary between the Captain and the rest of the crew. And she didn't even throw her weight around as the "Bajoran liason". There was a chance to make Kira much more of a challenge to Sisko in this respect (because of her backing from the Bajoran Government) but it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Daith

AngryLips wrote: »
    It's hard to think of Kira as an FO. Her character should have been much more T'Pol-esque. She never performed any of the typical FO duties. I can't ever remember her leading an away team, or credibly taking command in the Captain's absence and actually resolving a situation. She didn't act as an intermediary between the Captain and the rest of the crew. And she didn't even throw her weight around as the "Bajoran liason". There was a chance to make Kira much more of a challenge to Sisko in this respect (because of her backing from the Bajoran Government) but it never happened.

Well she couldn't be a standard FO because she wasn't Starfleet. I don't think she would have to perform crew evaluations for the Starfleet crew when she didn't go through the Academy herself.

She led away teams a few times. I remember when her taking command of the Defiant to find out what the Klingon's were looking for. Let's face it though DS9 had far less away missions than any other Trek show.

She did take command of the Defiant when Sisko was unable to in Tears of the Prophets. Even over Worf! Then she was running the station at the start of season 7. Defying the Federation when the Romulans were putting weapons on a Bajoran moon.

And the Bajoran liaison stuff was brought up a few times. However when Sisko accepted the Emissary job well he didn't really need a liaison officer cos well he was part God to them.

I think though even if Kira wasn't a model FO she couldn't have been expected too. However she was hands on, capable of running mission. Had the respect of the crew. Easily able to take command and point out when she thought people were stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Daith wrote: »
    Well she couldn't be a standard FO because she wasn't Starfleet. I don't think she would have to perform crew evaluations for the Starfleet crew when she didn't go through the Academy herself.

She led away teams a few times. I remember when her taking command of the Defiant to find out what the Klingon's were looking for. Let's face it though DS9 had far less away missions than any other Trek show.

She did take command of the Defiant when Sisko was unable to in Tears of the Prophets. Even over Worf! Then she was running the station at the start of season 7. Defying the Federation when the Romulans were putting weapons on a Bajoran moon.

And the Bajoran liaison stuff was brought up a few times. However when Sisko accepted the Emissary job well he didn't really need a liaison officer cos well he was part God to them.

I think though even if Kira wasn't a model FO she couldn't have been expected too. However she was hands on, capable of running mission. Had the respect of the crew. Easily able to take command and point out when she thought people were stupid.

Far too much "stick it to the man" attitude though, for someone in a position of authority

Oh and I always thought Riker should have died at the end of Second Chances and been secretly replaced by his transporter twin Thomas. It would have been a brilliant twist.

Originally the writers wanted to kill Will and promote Data to First Officer with Thomas Riker taking ops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Originally the writers wanted to kill Will and promote Data to First Officer with Thomas Riker taking ops.

Yeah right??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Later years Spock - Still had the intellect and also common sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Wonder if that idea was in some part responsible for the strange Data death in Nemesis, ideas seem close.

That photo with LeVar Burton as director, his shirt looks like something out of the oddball non-Starfleet clothing that the Star Trek casts wore on screen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

That photo with LeVar Burton as director, his shirt looks like something out of the oddball non-Starfleet clothing that the Star Trek casts wore on screen.

Nah man, that was fashion in LA at the time

I guess not only the character he plays was blind :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Nah man, that was fashion in LA at the time

You got to think that the pattern even slightly has that strange Trek look to it :D

Far too much "stick it to the man" attitude though, for someone in a position of authority

That gradually got written out, & Kira became quite reasonable & trusting in later seasons. I think that's perfectly fitting of someone in the start who didn't want Starfleet around, but then seen the good in it & got on with the job.

She's not the angry little woman people say she is for the whole series.

• Advertisement
Advertisement