Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actual trains for the metro. Ugly beasts.

Options
  • 20-10-2006 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭

I seen the article on RTE last night about the new metro. Looks great. Just wondering about the actual trains themselves. the one they had in the CGI sequence on the news was one ugly mofo. Does anyone know if the actual trains will look like that? Kind of like a bulldog on wheels.

Purely an aesthetic thing, I know the looks is one of the least important aspects, but just wondeirng as I dont think I've ever seen a train quite that ugly. I quite like the Luas so was surprised to see that yoke on the news.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That is probably just a mock up, at this stage no one knows, it could look like anything in 5 years.

The original mock ups on the T21 site:
    http://www.transport21.ie/PROJECTS/METRO_-_LUAS/Metro_North.html
    look much more attractive IMO, more like up sized Luas Trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It all depends on the winning bid from the supplier. It'll probably come down to Alstom and Bombardier. Something similar to the current Luas trams except wider (2.45m) above the platform width is anticipated.

Dont go by the old graphics from T21, there are newer graphics not yet available that show Alstom type units similar to the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Winters wrote:
    there are newer graphics not yet available that show Alstom type units similar to the Luas.
    Can you link them when announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The RPA dont normally do graphics so if they are to go up, which I doubt, they'll go up on the T21 site.

In this: http://www.rpa.ie/cms/download.asp?id=129 you can see a pic of one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

they don't look incredibly ugly, what's the seat layout going to be, 2 either side like the luas or 3?

• Advertisement
Advertisement