Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 50 Un-Established Youngsters In The World from 2001

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

paddyg91 wrote: »

why is this a thread? Back in 2001 Pennant was a fantastic prospect. Did very well in Arsenal's youths, had a fantastic loan spell with Leeds, and then a great spell with Brum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    why is this a thread?

Why are any of them threads tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭glenjamin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    why is this a thread? Back in 2001 Pennant was a fantastic prospect. Did very well in Arsenal's youths, had a fantastic loan spell with Leeds, and then a great spell with Brum...

+Became the most expensive teenager in the world when he joined Arsenal, hit a hattrick against Southampton if I can remember correctly.

This happens all the time, players been labbelled the next big thing then all of a sudden disappearing. I mean when was the last time you heard anything about Djemba-Djemba or Kléberson?

Yawn......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Shush ....... they never actually existed, as will this thread soon enough.

1 more post to 5000 Yay, nearly 7 years of Crap .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Pennant Sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Liverpool have had 5 of the Top 10 on their books, and 8 of the Top 20 on their books at one stage or another.

So in conclusion, Liverpool buy players from Top XX lists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The Algerian-born sensation is inevitably now compared to another Algerian-born player playing for France, the world’s greatest player probably, Zinedine Zidane. And indeed, Meghni reminds of Zidane in many aspects of his game.

Christ. Another one. If you are French, vaguely Arab and can kick a ball you will be christened as Zidane Mark II.

Pennant Jamiacan born, Zidane Algerian born, AFAIK they are both UK/French born. Cant even get the basics right :confused:

Relatively few who are on the MIA list (John Welsh though....who? And our friend Zidane II hasnt set the world alight) but tbh while Cisse and Ibrahimovic have their moments Torres is arguably the only world class player on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

to be fair there was about 12 or so arguably good calls on the list

spotted another 1 or 2 on the other list also

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

spotted this:
    Tounton Mkouko (Derby County, FWD) - Strong and pacey attacker who has not really settled at Derby but nevertheless produced quality displays for the club’s reserve and youth sides. A very talented player set to star for the first team in a year or two.
    One for the Championship Manager players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

shane86 wrote: »
    Christ. Another one. If you are French, vaguely Arab and can kick a ball you will be christened as Zidane Mark II.

Pennant Jamiacan born, Zidane Algerian born, AFAIK they are both UK/French born. Cant even get the basics right :confused:

Relatively few who are on the MIA list (John Welsh though....who? And our friend Zidane II hasnt set the world alight) but tbh while Cisse and Ibrahimovic have their moments Torres is arguably the only world class player on the list.

Ibrahimovic, Van Der Vaart and Iniesta are definitely world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I found that fascinating if I'm honest.

while Cisse and Ibrahimovic have their moments Torres is arguably the only world class player on the list.

:confused: Robben? Adriano? Quaresma?!

I see Trochowski on that list. He's playing superbly at the moment (some goal agaisnt Wales). Mexes, Kallstrom and Heitenga are all playing top level football too.

And John Welsh was a serious FM legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

JPA wrote: »
    Ibrahimovic, Van Der Vaart and Iniesta are definitely world class.

Ibrahimovic is inconsistent. VDV.....meh.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    :confused: Robben? Adriano? Quaresma?!

I see Trochowski on that list. He's playing superbly at the moment (some goal agaisnt Wales). Mexes, Kallstrom and Heitenga are all playing top level football too.

And John Welsh was a serious FM legend.

Unless Im mistaken Hettinga isnt even a first choice player for Holland yet.

Mexes plays for Roma. Hardly a world class side. Doesnt get a reg game for France (though IIRC he fell out with that clown Domenech. Maybe he has a bad starsign or something :confused:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Robben, Ibrahimovic, Adriano, Iniesta and Van Der Vaart are all certainly world class. Then theirs the next tier of players like Quaresma and Mexes who are good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ah Aliadiere, I remember having such high hopes for that lad. Alas, never lived up to the hype.

Unless Im mistaken Hettinga isnt even a first choice player for Holland yet.

Debut in 2004 and 42 caps since. He's a first choice whenever fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Of those 50, 16 are currently playing for teams in the Champions League (Pennant, Torres, Sinama-Pongolle, Fletcher, Van der Vaart, Ibrahimovic, Mexes, Iniesta, Adriano, Robben, Romagnoli, Quaresma, Donati, Kallstrom, Heitinga, Givet).

Oddly enough, two are now at Boro (Aliadiere and Mido).

There are loads more who have played in the Champions League in previous seasons.

Your man Meghni is now at Lazio.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Liverpool had 8 of the top 18.
    I wonder was a copy of this hanging up in our boardroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

spotted this:

One for the Championship Manager players!
    Ton-Ton Zola Moukoko- what a legend.
    I started a thread about him in the FM forum a while ago.

AFAIK he's either in Sweden or Ghana now... if I remember correctly he had a trial with Finn Harps a year or two ago :cool:
    ...I would've gone to see him
    ''Ton-ton in the hole, tra la la la laa''

edit: I searched his name- got an interview with him-
    http://www.derbycounty.dk/artikler/tonton-zola-moukoko-3.html
    ... he is in Sweden now with IK Sleipner, and apparently he's never played FM! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eZe^ wrote: »
    Ibrahimovic...certainly world class.

He's a youtube footballer, world class he is not. some rare fantastic goals here and there thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That link makes for a fascinating read - the benefit of hindsight eh? I think a lot of you are being overly harsh on it's success rate in predicting good talent too. The percentage of players on it to enjoy solid professional careers or better is impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Trilla wrote: »
    He's a youtube footballer, world class he is not. some rare fantastic goals here and there thats it

I wouldn't agree with that at all. People seem to solely base their opinion on him from Inter's games against Liverpool in the CL last year. Truth is, he's one of the most highly rated strikers in Italy and imo, he's like a better version of Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Exactly, Berbatov is a poor mans Ibrahimovic imo. He may not be the deadliest finisher, but there is NO better striker in the world at bringing his fellow team mates into scoring opportunities. Overall he has a strike rate better than one goal every two games for Inter in the league, and his assists records are excellent. 22 goals last year in 33 games. 17 goals and 9 assists in the league, and he only played 26 games in the league, so he was worth a goal every game he played in the league last season, hardly only a 'youtube' player.

5 goals and 1 assist in 7 league appearances this season.

If Ibrahimovic is a youtube footballer, than Berbatov is a redtube footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol guys - you are fighting a lost cause. Didn't you get the memo that unless you play in the premiership and have that hype machine in your corner you aren't actually any good?

I love it when people come on here and say that the likes of Ibrahimovic or Toni are rubbish when they probably have seen no more than a handful of full games from their entire careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Trilla wrote: »

Are you serious. Look at Inter's forwards. Cruz,Adriano and Balotelli. The last thing they need is another finisher. Ibra gets so many assists it is unreal and he is of such value to a team. He's probably only a youtube footballer because you only watch the Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Thread made me laugh and think about playing championship manager.(FM)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

eZe^ wrote: »
    If Ibrahimovic is a youtube footballer, than Berbatov is a redtube footballer.

Agree and why I wouldn't rate either..

The thread made me laugh because usually reading about highly rated teenagers and finding out where they are now is a criminal offence...or so I am told

Though whoever at any stage rated Pennant a better prospect than Torres or Robben for example :confused:

dfx- wrote: »
    Though whoever at any stage rated Pennant a better prospect than Torres or Robben for example :confused:

The English media?

Advertisement