Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gilardino banned for Handball

• 28-10-2008 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Didnt notice this anywhere. Dangerous PRecedent to set !!!

Gilardino gave Fiorentina the lead in the 20th minute of last night's clash at the Stadio Barbera when he bundled the ball into the back of the net with his hand from close range following a left wing cross from Mario Santana.

The Viola went on to win the game 3-1, and after the match there was widespread fury in the Palermo camp, with president Maurizio Zamparini blasting: "We will demand that the disciplinary committee use TV pictures, as he deserves at least a five-game ban. He even had the cheek to celebrate; that's plain incredible.

"Palermo played a good match, but we were clearly robbed, with the referee and the linesman giving a huge contribution. The same thing happened two seasons ago, when Adrian Mutu made a fool of us, hitting the back of the net while one of our players was down injured.

"Is this the same side that advocated fair play and the 'terzo tempo'? Get out of here..."

The disciplinary commission has now moved to ban Gilardino for two games for his act of anti-sporting behaviour. Even though the referee Emidio Morganti failed to notice that Gila had scored with his hand, the TV evidence gathered by the Sporting Judge through Sky, Rai and Mediaset has proved to be his undoing.

The court stated that the handball "was voluntary, intentional and not determined nor conditioned by the Dellafiore who was holding him in the previous moments." Gilardino's act was therefore a "seriously anti-sporting' act.

This punishment could set a dangerous precedent for the future of Italian football. Fiorentina take on Inter this Wednesday in Serie A, a game which Gila will now miss.

It is unclear at the moment whether Fiorentina will appeal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

overturned I would imagine - id the ref saw it he would have gotten a yellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Does the sporting court have juristiction over in game events like a handball that the ref missed as opposed to doping, corruption etc?

FIFA take a dim view of courts interfering with the game like that, could be good news for Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It is a dangerous precedent to set. Basically they're retrospectively prosecuting a player for something that he got away with in the game. There are plenty of positives and a few negatives to this notion though I'm very surprised to see it in action in a top league, and allowed by FIFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Gilardino's suspension stands
    Tuesday 28 October, 2008
    Fiorentina star Alberto Gilardino has failed in his appeal against a two-match ban for scoring with his hand against Palermo.

The calcio world has been divided by Gilardino's goal in Fiorentina's 3-1 win over Palermo on Sunday evening.

The Azzurri hitman put the ball in with his wrist, but only after he seemed to be pushed by defender Hernan Dellafiore while bearing down on goal.

The disciplinary commission decided to impose a two-game suspension when reviewing video evidence after the game, which would keep Gilardino out for tomorrow's big game against Inter.

Many voices have been raised in support of Gila and Inter chief Massimo Moratti expected his ban to be quashed, but the decision has been upheld.

The Italian Football Federation's court of justice reviewed the evidence and feel that the original judgement was fair.

Fiorentina Coach Cesare Prandelli will now have to trust in Giampaolo Pazzini to partner Adrian Mutu.

utter bullsh1t if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The fact that it is just before the Inter game raises some serious questions in the corrupt world of Italian football

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The fact that it is just before the Inter game raises some serious questions in the corrupt world of Italian football

The corrupt world of italian football is a bit of a sweeping generalisation imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

SuprSi wrote: »
    It is a dangerous precedent to set. Basically they're retrospectively prosecuting a player for something that he got away with in the game. There are plenty of positives and a few negatives to this notion though I'm very surprised to see it in action in a top league, and allowed by FIFA?

They do that all the time with incidents that the ref may have missed, be they bad tackles or whatever. The red card is fully deserved and imo, it in no way sets a dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Yeah in Serie A this isn't that rare an occurence. I remember Zalayeta getting a 3-match ban for diving last year. I haven't seen the incident itself so I can't really judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dangerous precident my arse. The more a player thinks he will be pulled up for cheating after a game the better (which should hopefully reduce cheating)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Fiorentina take on Inter this Wednesday in Serie A, a game which Gila will now miss.

Lol, anyone else think that Inter are the new ref's retirement fund now that Juve aren't paying anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

gosplan wrote: »
    Lol, anyone else think that Inter are the new ref's retirement fund now that Juve aren't paying anymore?

ha there's a definite argument for it but I'd hope not even Inter and Moratti would be stupid enough to try and pull the same scam juve did! Still tho, some decisions that went their way last year were sick, the match against Parma in the san siro being the worst one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIw0q-jeYNE

sorry bout the italian, but I don't think I'd be able to find an english version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Messin with the rules a bit, not as if a player will be sent off for deliberate handball in the oppenents box. Could be just another case for the CAS to settle and give in Gilardino's favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1704213/

great effort, but nowhere near as class as Scholesys vs. Zenit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I would much rather see retroactive action being taken against diving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How can you give a 2 match ban for a yellow card offense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

An Citeog wrote: »
    They do that all the time with incidents that the ref may have missed, be they bad tackles or whatever. The red card is fully deserved and imo, it in no way sets a dangerous precedent.

"they" being who?

The point here is an Italian Court has made a decision that only the Italian FA should be allowed make. The sports court is there for legal issues like corruption and doping, not because the ref missed a hand ball. They have no authority to ban players for breaking the rules of the game. Or put anotherway, since when did hand ball become against Italian law?

the amount of people missing the point here is unreal.

"they" being who?

The point here is an Italian Court has made a decision that only the Italian FA should be allowed make. The sports court is there for legal issues like corruption and doping, not because the ref missed a hand ball. They have no authority to ban players for breaking the rules of the game. Or put anotherway, since when did hand ball become against Italian law?

the amount of people missing the point here is unreal.

anyone know who is sitting at the court these days? is the Calciopoli prosecutor promoted to it or is he in charge of telecom italia or is it still Rossi and Provera there?

Advertisement