Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Topping up relatively new battery with water

Options
  • 18-10-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi. Changed battery in wife's car bout six months ago. 1.0 Nissan micra 97. But it has been dying a lot over last three months or so. Originally I was thinking it was happening cos she only used car bout twice a week on average. I was jump starting it a lot. I have a battery charger and finally took out battery to charge it but when I took off the six caps on top of battery and looked down into it there seems to be no liquid at all inside in it. Found that strange for newish car battery. I bought the distilled water for it but I am a worried bout topping it up as have not done that before. There is no sticker on battery to say it's maintenance free. Should I go ahead and top it up. Just worried it case I damage it. Make of battery is Oldham performance battery. Never heard of them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Battery is already toast
    if its still under warranty bring it back.

Years ago distilled water was used to top up batteries and then charge up the battery fully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Hi. Changed battery in wife's car bout six months ago. 1.0 Nissan micra 97. But it has been dying a lot over last three months or so. Originally I was thinking it was happening cos she only used car bout twice a week on average. I was jump starting it a lot. I have a battery charger and finally took out battery to charge it but when I took off the six caps on top of battery and looked down into it there seems to be no liquid at all inside in it. Found that strange for newish car battery. I bought the distilled water for it but I am a worried bout topping it up as have not done that before. There is no sticker on battery to say it's maintenance free. Should I go ahead and top it up. Just worried it case I damage it. Make of battery is Oldham performance battery. Never heard of them. Any advice would be appreciated.

You need to get your car checked out to see what condition your charging system is in then bring that battery back if everything is ok.

Those cells should be filled with acid and only topped up with disstilled water but after six months the cells shouldnt be empty or even below the level of the plate which leads me to think its possibly over charging slightly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Dodgy battery return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You need to get your car checked out to see what condition your charging system is in then bring that battery back if everything is ok.

Those cells should be filled with acid and only topped up with disstilled water but after six months the cells shouldnt be empty or even below the level of the plate which leads me to think its possibly over charging slightly.

It sounds more like a bad battery tbh. I'd take it back before checking anything on the car. The place where the op purchased it will in all likelihood have a tester to check if the battery is faulty or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

Cheers. When I originally brought it to garage to check it six months ago he did perform a few tests and then Said it was battery. So I must find out where he got the battery so I can take it back there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Its not the car...its the battery.

Cheers. When I originally brought it to garage to check it six months ago he did perform a few tests and then Said it was battery. So I must find out where he got the battery so I can take it back there.

If you bought it from a garage or even a fella doing work at the side of his house its upto him to sort it out for you.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It sounds more like a bad battery tbh. I'd take it back before checking anything on the car. The place where the op purchased it will in all likelihood have a tester to check if the battery is faulty or not.

Very unusual to have six faulty cells on a battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Probably overcharging a good bit actually, considering it does small miles.

The battery has to be losing acid from somewhere. It is boiling and then venting the vapours out of the battery. This is because of the overcharging.

If you have a voltmeter, you can check for yourself. With the engine running at tickover, it should be charging at around 13.5 volts. On a high idle, or with a bad battery, it should be charging at around 14.5 volts.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Probably overcharging a good bit actually, considering it does small miles.

The battery has to be losing acid from somewhere. It is boiling and then venting the vapours out of the battery. This is because of the overcharging.

If you have a voltmeter, you can check for yourself. With the engine running at tickover, it should be charging at around 13.5 volts. On a high idle, or with a bad battery, it should be charging at around 14.5 volts.

Don't have voltmeter unfortunately. Can the fact the I jump started the car a lot affect the battery. Maybe cos wife wasn't using car too often caused battery to go dead and then jumping it a lot might have damaged it.

• Advertisement

Don't have voltmeter unfortunately. Can the fact the I jump started the car a lot affect the battery. Maybe cos wife wasn't using car too often caused battery to go dead and then jumping it a lot might have damaged it.
    Like I said, where do you think the acid went? It certainly wouldn't have boiled off from jump starting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Maybe the battery has been sitting on the shop floor for years, and simply dried out.
    Not too many places stock wet batteries anymore in that size..?

There should be a date code on the battery somewhere.

whizbang wrote: »
    Maybe the battery has been sitting on the shop floor for years, and simply dried out.
    Not too many places stock wet batteries anymore in that size..?

There should be a date code on the battery somewhere.
    Believe it or not, I work for a large motor parts distributor. Once a week, I go around the battery stock room, and check and charge as neccessary. The equipment tests for dead cells, voltage, amps and health. A battery which has been sitting for too long will see it's health drop. Any lower than 50% and it's officially fcuked.

Now most motor factors will order batteries which aren't that popular as they need them, as they can have them delivered that day or the next day at the latest. The shop will return them within the month if not sold due to a change in the VAT laws about 2 years ago.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

That's the way it should be...

I worked for a supplier that stocked batteries. Despite lot number, serial no, date code tracing etc, even weighing every battery that came in, they still could not understand the need for checking.

Mostly SLA, Are flooded cells becoming obsolete in cars?

whizbang wrote: »
    That's the way it should be...

I worked for a supplier that stocked batteries. Despite lot number, serial no, date code tracing etc, even weighing every battery that came in, they still could not understand the need for checking.

Mostly SLA, Are flooded cells becoming obsolete in cars?
    The bulk of our sales are still wet cell batteries alright.

Cheers for the advice. Il try to sort it out this week and let ye know if it was the car or the battery

Advertisement