Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE or Not RTE

Options
  • 18-10-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this out of curiosity more than anything else. With Saorview kicking in fairly soon etc etc. How many people if given the option would bother with RTE? If the licence fee became a subscription fee to watch RTE, how many would bother? (Personally I'd happily ignore RTE as there is nothing on it that I'm interested in apart from the News).

If RTE were a pay to view service. Would you subcribe to pay? 32 votes

Yes
    12% 4 votes
    No
    87% 28 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How is this a consumer issue exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Cabaal wrote: »
    How is this a consumer issue exactly?

We are all 'consumers' of media. The media offered by RTE is paid for by us whether we want it or not. So by that measure it's a consumer issue.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

RTE would die away without tv license. Over paid crap tv presenters, crap home grown tv shows, the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

Could someone tell the rte1 tv weatherman at 6pm today (gerry)that its not february yet.(check the vt,gerry says today is february).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I read an article in today`s Irish Times about RTE making a lot of mistakes which did not help it`s financial position. The article said the technicians, presenters etc do a good job but the problem is a managerial one.

While it is a matter of opinion as to whether or not the presenters are professional, I certainly agree RTE seems to be badly managed. I would also make the point that appointing someone to a position of influence within RTE should be done on the basis of competence and not just because the person appointing them, agrees with them on matters of politics, social reform etc.

I am not saying they weren`t appointed on the basis of competance because I don`t know if they were or not. I am just saying that if someone like a government minister or senior civil servant appointed someone to rte just because they agreed with them on stuff, that might not the best basis to appoint them, nor would it bring good results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,601 ✭✭✭squonk

I think if the service offering was split I’d maybe subscribe for categories I’d like, like a news and current affairs pack and a radio music pack. The rest is shîte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

As a 34 year old male, there is Absolutley nothing on RTE1/2 or Radio that would attract me to watch/join a subscription - the soccer is on LOI TV (and as a cork city fan they barely leave Dublin) or the Champions League/other sports is on BT, Sky etc and id say the majority around the 18-50 bracket wouldnt watch rte (cant even remember some one around my age bracket actually saying something positve in whats on RTE since probably love hate)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

did you use a new shovel to dig up an 11 year old thread ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

The article I refered to was from yesterday`s Irish Times. But, you do make an interesting point, in highlighting this thread`s age. RTE had viability issues eleven years ago, and it still has viability issues today. By the way, that survey at the beginning of this eleven year old thread showed no votes favouring payment for RTE`s service yesterday. Today, I see it has one vote and that didn`t come from me.

Who do you suppose gave them that OmegaGene?

it probably did come from you just to make you seem edgy with your retort

• Advertisement

If it did come from me just to make me seem edgy in my retort, then RTE would be back to zero, wouldn`t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It didn't happen since 2012 and there is no prospect of it happening any time soon.

But if people need another thread to give out about RTE carry on.

Haven’t a clue champ, I can’t know if you voted and can’t see the voting results myself because I haven’t voted 🤷‍♂️

Just a coincidence then, that one vote out of the blue after eleven years at zero.

Advertisement