Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE or TV3+1

• 31-12-2010 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

It can't be that hard to make a RTE+1 or TV3+1 station.

Why don't we have them.Just missed a program I would have liked to see.

Surly it's not rocket science to rebroadcast a channel again an hour later?

Everybody doing it so why can't we?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

It can't be that hard to make a RTE+1 or TV3+1 station.

Why don't we have them.Just missed a program I would have liked to see.

Surly it's not rocket science to rebroadcast a channel again an hour later?

we're not gone digital yet. It might happen after saorview launches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

rte player or tv3 catchup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Sky+
    I'd be lost without it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

zuroph wrote: »
    we're not gone digital yet. It might happen after saorview launches.

Ok maybe I am a bit out of touch, but can they not just broadcast it again on another analogue frequency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

RobTheLad wrote: »

good point! but i would rather just click another channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ok maybe I am a bit out of touch, but can they not just broadcast it again on another analogue frequency?

Maybe it would cost them more to obtain the frequency?:confused::confused:

I may or may not be talking out of my arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

RobTheLad wrote: »
    The RTE Player is good, but could be much better. It's still not as good as the iPlayer, but then again it is only still in beta.

And the TV3 Catchup service is a joke. Their website is all over the place.

I'd much rather they put money towards improving On Demand services than add +1 channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

+1 channels are a waste of bandwidth. Isn't 3e practically a TV3 +1 channel anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I think a +1 Day would be better than a +1 Hour. Majority of digital households have a PVR box anyway so if they miss the first 20mins of their show they can record it tomorrow.
    It will also make the channel seem less repetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Everybody's going to stop doing it soon enough too as DVRs and internet catch up services take over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

As has been said, it's a completely diminshed market - very, very few people getting any manner of primary DVR today won't be with a HDD. Sky have been in the process of getting people to upgrade from their legacy DVRs, so the market there is even shrinking.

Not much point in having a +1 station, really. You might as well use an extra station for archived shows or Irish film because a +1 wouldn't be much use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Hogzy wrote: »
    I think a +1 Day would be better than a +1 Hour. Majority of digital households have a PVR box anyway so if they miss the first 20mins of their show they can record it tomorrow.
    It will also make the channel seem less repetitive.

Stop robbing my ideas :)

OP you will be glad to hear that RTÉ Plus will be a +1 service of RTÉ 1 for at least a year before become a separate channel in 2012 (when it will have archived shows or Irish film plus repeats). RTÉ Plus like BBC 4 and 3 will broadcast each day from 7pm, RTÉjr will air from 7am to 7pm before RTÉ Plus.

In relation to analogue it can really only carry 4 channels before the channels become very grainy and provide bad reception. They did it in many areas of the states giving AFAIK VHF signals to the big 3 CBS, NCB and ABC while giving UHF singals to local TV such as PBS and local non-affiliates (some times up to 7 channels) this caused many people to go and take up cable TV for improved reception. DTT or saorview can handle more channels than analogue, one of the main problems for Channel 5 in the UK was it lack of reception across the country in 1996, digital gives it greater coverage. Also the EU has set 2012 as the date for ASO (Analogue switch off).

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

it's called the RTE Player, just get that more efficiently updated and ta-da no need for another channel ;)

Advertisement